OT - conversation with work colleague

Guest MJG

Noticed a brand spanking new BMW series One (thats the LR content :rolleyes: ) in the car park were a work colleague normaly parks her VW Golf this morning.

See her as I go to my office "Hi got a new car I ask?????"

Yes comes back the reply. Looks nice I reply. We then get into a discussion about it's handing etc etc and she makes a comment about it being very sensitive on the steering side of things.

No worries I said "I notice that when I switch from my FWD Corrola to Jan's RWD MX5" they do seem a bit sensitive on the front end - I just put it down to it being rear wheel drive and feeling 'different'

"What do you mean rear wheel drive" she asks with a slightly worried look. Your new BM I said, it's rear wheel drive like all BM's except the 4X4 ones - a lot of people think the Series 1 is a front wheel drive because it's a hatch back but its defineitley rear wheel drive........"

OMG :o what I am going to do when the snow comes, she asks

"get stuck like all the other BMW owners do I reply.... :lol: "

I ask you who on earth gets a car and doesn't know which end is being driven.....and if it is so important, without double checking. :blink:

I ask you who on earth gets a car and doesn't know which end is being driven.....and if it is so important, without double checking. :blink:

Women. I just asked Sandbag wether her Rover414 - which she has been driving for 3 years - is front or rear wheel drive. She does not know.

Chris

When your colleague asked what she was going to do when the snow comes, I would have suggested "donuts in the car park like anyone else" :D last time we had snow it coincided with my having the loan van at work - a completely empty RWD transit , that was a larf :lol:

The ex-GF was shocked and surprised when I told her her Pug 106 was FWD. She was also shocked and surprised when I suggested she might like to spend £15 on a haynes manual so she could check the oil, water and brake fluid herself rather than pay a garage to suck their teeth and charge her £££'s for the priviledge :rolleyes:

It's surprising how often I get people that don't know the basic information about their car - even the cc if it sometimes, and it's not confined to women either. Even when I tell them they quite often act as if I've just given them information they don't need to know. The fact that they don't know how to do a certain thing (such as check the oil), is a good enough excuse for it not being their fault if the engine goes wrong because of it. Vehicles not having been serviced for a few years, and people saying "oh it's been making that horrible noise for ages", is very common now.

Les. :)

and it's not confined to women either

Thank you Les :rolleyes:;)

I was asked to change a tyre on my senior managers car once because *he* didn't know how! lol! ...mind you, I think that says more about him than anything else... :ph34r:

Oo, I love snow! I used to pray for snow when I had my Scoob... it was the only way you could get it to let go on tarmac! ...not so much looking forward to it with the mini :huh:

the best one I had was a friends wife who was changing her car (bought new) after having it for three years.

She asked if she should get it serviced before she sold it and where to take it to.

My reply was to go to the usual place.

Her reply was she hadn't been before!! (thats right it had never been serviced!!)

I bet the oil was like treacle :o

but then i've got a mate with a totally original bought from new corvette stingray, which has NEVER been serviced in 27 years- he says he doesn't want to risk them braking anything :o :o :o no matter how hard i try i just can't convince him that he is more likely to destroy the engine by not having it serviced. thwack.

i used to drive a hi-ace van that was never seviced by the company between cambelt changes. every 60k you took the sumpplug out & jabbed a screwdriver in to break up the sludge cause nothing came out if you left it to drain. funny it went 20mph faster after a service...

oh btw damn do those things hangout well sideways :D much better at it than my old MG for a start, but i do miss my xr4i with no interior, lowered springs and a LSD - now that wouldnt ever point forwards :lol::lol::lol:

A month or so back when I was looking for a cheap run around I looked at an R-plate Clio with about 60k on the clock. They guy selling it was obviously a trader selling cars from his house and didn't know much about the cars history. It had no service history paperwork with it, probably cos it'd never had a service. Inside the rocker cover looked like someone had emptied a coal skuttle in there and the oil was like black treacle. Shame really as the car was otherwise mint, not a mark on the paint work or interior. Some muppet will get taken in by the looks etc and think they are buying a nice little car. When the guy asked why I didn't even want a test drive I showed him the state of the oil, and walked away.

I must remember to ask the missus what wheels are driven on her car, see if she knows. Mind you though she does check the oil/water/tyres herself, if only I could get her to do mine as well.

Noticed a brand spanking new BMW series One (thats the LR content ) in the car park were a work colleague normaly parks her VW Golf this morning

Oh dear! She should have just upgraded the Golf to the new Mk.5 version. Handles superbly, is cheaper than the BMW, and IS front wheel drive (unless you go for the four wheel drive four-motion version)

I must remember to ask the missus what wheels are driven on her car, see if she knows. Mind you though she does check the oil/water/tyres herself, if only I could get her to do mine as well.

I'm lucky if I can get the other half to even fill the Disco up with fuel, let alone look under the bonnet !!