Workshop security

Astro_Al

Anyone know if tear gas is available / legal?

;)

Yeah - right ;)

Not available and definitely illegal...

When i worked somewhere that CS 'gas' was made, one of the 'production staff' thought it would be fun to nick some that was destined for destruction and set off a tiny pellet (about the size of an aspirin) in a pub. IIRC he was done for actual bodily harm !

Good stuff though - and strangely it doesn't seem to affect sheep :blink:

Hi Chaps, I have been watching this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=220293919940

The Guy doesnt seem to have any more in stock at the mo.

Apparently the latest on the market and doesn't require a phone line/internet connection, just a pay as you go sim.

I think this is the way to go, let you know as soon as there is any activity.....

A pic of it..

Cheers

Gary

post-4824-1227026908_thumb.jpg

The problem with some of the more, ahem, enthusiastic suggestions is that you've got to have a good way of turning it off and preventing it from being triggered accidentally - the last thing you want is to walk into the workshop and have all hell break loose, or have some small animal find its way in and your place light up like bonfire night and wake the whole county up."

:rofl:

Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=220293919940

Apparently the latest on the market and doesn't require a phone line/internet connection, just a pay as you go sim.

post-4824-1227026908_thumb.jpg

Sounds to me like it is worth considering as part of a security package, but read the small print on your PAYG account. I understand that some will deactivate if not used every so often.

Other thoughts,

It's mains powered, but has a '24hr (Depending on network)' standby battery in it. What does (Depending on network) mean? You may like to consider a small UPS.

"Best shooting distance (nighttime)" is given as '>6' metres. I take that to be greater than 6 metres.

Hmm are those infrared leds that bright? Perhaps the camera is so good it compensates for any lack of 'light' output.

Don't IR LEDs glow red in the dark? If so, I'd have thought that a bit of a giveaway.

Include with a UPS backed PIR and white light source?

I'd need more information before spending on this to 'catch' burglars, although the basic idea is attractive, especially as a confidence check. As a 'burglar catcher' I'd like the pictures to be recorded on a remote PC somewhere. Having them date and time stamped just adds more cost.

HTH

What does (Depending on network) mean?

I think that the amount of talking* that the phone does with the local towers is dependent on signal strength and whether there are multiple towers within range.

Mobile phone batteries will run down faster when moving or when in areas of low signal strength.

* when you leave it next to your bedside alarm/radio and it goes "da dada da dada da dada daaaa" it is communicating with the network.

I think that the amount of talking* that the phone does with the local towers is dependent on signal strength and whether there are multiple towers within range.

Mobile phone batteries will run down faster when moving or when in areas of low signal strength.

* when you leave it next to your bedside alarm/radio and it goes "da dada da dada da dada daaaa" it is communicating with the network.

Thanks for that; in this context one should assume the worse, that the facility is at the outer limits of a cell, there will be lot's of 'are you still there' type SHOUTED conversations between the phone and the cell station, and that after 6 months of this the battery will only last 12 hours.

He says, cynically :-))

They are without a doubt crafty, ingeneous and dedicated people. Prison is little more than a 24hr training camp.

A place by us had their alarms set off late at night, the alarms dialed out pre arranged tel no's to a key holder and the police who both turned up after approx half an hour to find nothing had been taken and only a broken window, puzzeling?. A few days later the same happened again and they could not work out why nothing had gone.

A week later alarms go again and thinking it was yet another false alarm they did not rush.

The place was empty when they got there, some one had been watching and new exactly how much time they had before the keyholder and police would turn up.

There is a site by us on the edge of the Black Country where a certain culture live in caravans, they drive around in transits most of the time but will use any means of transport that is around, it does not matter if it has Mot, insurance or tax as these are not essential but ideally it does need a tow bar. They all have dark hair, rough complexions, smell, talk with a bit of a twang, use lots of four letter words, have not heard of PAYE but still expect the system to work for them when they need it. Most cannot read or write but they do have brand new 4x4,s which are legal and fine cut glass around the vans which is cleaned by the even more fouled mouthed and smelly mother. Their dogs and thin and will eat you.

Their chosen profession is to deprive you of your wordly goods by any means necessary and this is what they are trained to do and to be fair, they are good at it, I know because from time to time they visit me.

They are not Pikeys. Pikeys are tame compared to these.

I used to collect crime ref no's as a pastime.

We used to have a crime prevention officer, he is now known as a crime reduction officer. I got to now him quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

This may not work in a large space but I did once secure a garage with halon fire extinguishers. If entry was gained then the garage filled with halon caused by the 'fire' that triggered it.

I knew of a garage owner who really didn't mind thieves climbing into his yard. All the internal walls and surfaces were heavily greased and angled to make sure the thieves would still be there in the morning. The local mob then made sure the thieves didn't work that patch again.

Domestic internal alarms don't make a very loud noise. In our house we have a PIR-triggered external siren, 129db and difficult to get at. One of these in a hard-surfaced building will not only alert everyone nearby but more to the point it'll be pretty frustrating for the bad guys. It's quite difficult to think straight in high noise - the instinct is to get away from it. If the siren is fixed high up and behind wire mesh, with armoured power supply to it, it'd take a little while to disable (and not nice to stand in front of whilst doing that). 129db is pretty irritating but bearable for a short while if you don't mind hurting your ears. But two external sirens, at slightly different frequencies ... the dissonance would make a pretty shattering noise. Have some ear defenders outside in case you need to go in to turn things off.

Alarm guns are a good way scare people snooping about a yard. Most good game keeper suppliers sell them and they are fitted with a 12 bore blanks, set of via a trip wire.

Of course any 12 guage cartridges will fit but thats your choice.

we have a big workshop on the farm, behind some massive locked gates, it has a sliding 1cm thick steel plate door on, which the bottom is inset to concrete to it cannot be pushed off the runners. it is locked with a very beefy padlock, and the door closes in such a fashion that crowbars would have no effect.

it also has a huuuuge roller shutter door, which i dont personally see how they would get through without some kind of cuttin tackle in which case angry dogs and me with a big stick would come running!

plus, never leave it unlocked, or invite strangers into your shed.

people dont generally try to steel something that they dont know exists.

keep things covered up and out of public sight.