I'm trying to work out what the clutch pedal on my truck is, and if it is the original one.

The truck is a 1984 90, with what I assumed was the original pedal. A mate at work suggested fitting the 300tdi pedal as this is spring assisted.

Now the one on the truck looks remarkably like the one I have bought!

So could somebody with a 200tdi or before, post up a picture of their clutch pedal as viewed from the floor please?

Thanks in advance all :)

I think your mate may have given slightly incorrect advice. I think he may have meant the td5 clutch pedal, it is assisted by an over centre spring - quite different, once the "centre" is reached the spring helps the push.

The earlier 110/90 clutch pedal is very similar to the series version.

G.

The 300tdi and later pedal spring doesn't actually help to push the pedal down. It is an overcentre pedal return spring. This means that it only acts as a pedal return spring in the first part of the pedal stroke. As you push the pedal down, the return spring goes 'overcentre' so that for most of the pedal stroke, you are only pushing the pedal down against the force of the springs in the clutch cover plate, rather than against the force of the springs in the clutch cover plate AND the force of the pedal return spring, as in the pre 300tdi models.

The pre 300tdi models have an unecessarily strong pedal return spring which adds a considerable amount of 'stiffness' to the clutch. Fitting a 300tdi and later spring/pedal works very well. You can also fit a much lighter (use one with as many coils and as long as possible) replacement return spring in place of the original on the pre 300tdi pedals for a similar result.

Regards,

Diff.

I changed the pedal in my V8 90 to the over centre spring type. It still gave me a painful leg after a day off road, and the V8 clutch is somewhat lighter than the diesel one.

Problem solved - I fitted an auto box.

Think I still have the sprung pedal box somewhere James...

Something like this would do the job as well though surely?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150730159415

My Series III came with one on the brakes, and another in the box in the back. Sadly they both went in the bin, but given that the vehicle sat for 10 years I would have had doubts as to their effectiveness any more!