Defender one - Citroen ZX nil

GBMUD

On a recent forum trip to the Pyrenees we chose to return home from Andorra via Carcassonne, a medieval walled city, and the Millau bridge. Having decided to come off the autoroute a junction early we drove through town on our way to the hotel we had chosen. As we left the town behind and headed to the hotel we got caught in some slow moving traffic and the convoy of Landrovers was split up with some natives in between. I had to stop with a few cars in front as there was a car turning left. As I came to a halt I became aware of a load skidding sound behind me and realising what was about to happen, stood on the brake and braced for impact. The impact soon came, fortunately I had sufficient space between me and the car in front and did not hit that.

This was the result, notice the skid mark. The driver of the Citroen claimed to have been driving at 20kph.

post-209-1180077875_thumb.jpg

There is the villain with me standing behind him.

post-209-1180078040_thumb.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see where he hit the NATO hitch. :)

post-209-1180078074_thumb.jpg

The "smoking gun" skid mark.

post-209-1180078105_thumb.jpg

More Carcassonne Carnage. Notice how the Citroen has been blinged-up with some Peugeot wheels!

post-209-1180078128_thumb.jpg

The point of impact. You can see that he reversed out from underneath the Landrover before getting out of his car. Not sure if he intended doing a runner. He did drive the car away in the end.

The police were persuaded to attend (4 of them, including the chief of police!) and seemed to take against the lad in the Citroen - something to do with his attitude. :) We eventually got the special yellow and blue form filled in, overseen by the police thankfully as it seems to apportion blame. I was certainly glad to have had all my driving documents with me as the police wanted to see them - and may not have taken the same attitude if I had left them at home! I now look forward to an international insurance claim.

Damage to the Landrover seems to be limited to the transference of some red paint and the towing electrics needing attention. The Citroen, well, the pictures tell a story. :)

Enormous thanks to Sticky for summoning the police with help from a local shopkeeper, James and Sticky for pictures and Pugwash for his excellent translation. He is, indeed, a cunning linguist. :) Thanks also to all the others for rallying round and keeping out of the way as appropriate.

Chris

post-209-1180077902_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm

Culprit does have the look of the "Chav du Frog" version of the 'wickid sorted' ones we have over here :)

Are you shoving in a claim for a new Nato hitch as the old one has red paint wrecking it now ?

re the last piccie - Was wondering exactly the fisty cleanchy + action + words being explained to "Chav Du Frog" :lol: by Mr P ?

Glad to hear all bodies intact

Nige

yeah the bridge looked just like that when we got their too- it wasn't really covered in clouds andf rain.

some priceless quotes from the crash

Chavy french algerian dude to Chief of local police:

Chav: "i was only doing 12mph when i started braking"

C of P: "don't be stupid there's a tyre mark the length of your car"

Chav: "i hate you lot your no use"

C of P: "shut the **** up"

Chav: "you can't say that to me you exerciseer"

C of P: "shut the **** up before i lock you up overnight"

To me:

"sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay sir, carcasson is a lovely town beset by foreigners, we keep trying to shoot them all, but they won't let us"

Polic meathead to mouthy little morrocan scallywag sittnig on the bonnet of the policemobile

"is taht your car?"

"no"

"well **** off before i arrest you for wasting police time"

Random quotes from algerian chav

"we don't need to tell the insurance companies do we? my mother might find out"

"it must be your fault as you hardly have any damage"

"i'm sorry for being rude, can i have a cigarette please?"

Chief of Police to me:

" you're a little noticeable with 2 jacked up defenders , a shiy 90 and a evry large bright range range rover missile, there's also a fair few algerians around who probably know this chap, and you're hotel is on the edge of "little Algeria". Narbonne's nice this time of year"

And the best quoet for me- one of the coppers pointing at our vehicles:

"so where did you park the trailers?"

"huh?"

"to drive from the UK to here- no one would haev driven a thousand miles in those would they?"

Last picture tells it all- chap was saying that he could just leave, as there was no damage to our car- i was telling him faintly frocefully that if he drove off without leaving details then i would of course be forced to send sticky and JST after him to drag him back. He was a dirty little oik.

i made the incredibly stupid mistake of leaning forward to look in the wing mirror just before the accident to see what the screach was- a rather painful mistake to make.

Felt fine until the enegery of dealing wth hundreds of little french algerian kids, the police and the other driver wore off and then felt a little funny. One trip to a local emergency ward later (which Chris and Tim was convinced was a VD clinic) and i was seen immediately, then shipped off to find some drugs in the dodgiest part of narbonne. Tim drove in his super blingy sport, and as i got out i heard all the windows go up, the locks come on, and he sat on the edge of the pavement with the engine idling. It wasn't the best part of narbonne.

special thanks to all of the guys for looking after me, both before (especially help with tent) and after the accident. One night i found that my brand new airbed had a leak and so i ended up not sleeping due to the cold (i was on the floor basically at 5000 feet- it was very very chilly) , consequiently the next night i was completely non functioning.

Sorry to hear about that Chris, its never fun to have that happen in another country…………………… at least the Police seemed friendly enough !

When I ran somebody over in Greece the Police were not exactly English sympathetic ! :rolleyes:

I can assure you that Carcassonne is a much better place then Narbonne………..a bit like some other large South Western towns I never really felt safe whilst in Narbonne at night………

Last time I was in Carcassonne was 2003………….

gallery_269_31_34038.jpg

This is sundown over the river on the outskirts of Narbonne……….

gallery_269_31_9862.jpg

I guess you guys went here as well …………. :rolleyes:

gallery_269_31_17259.jpg

Every time I have been ‘off the beaten track’ in the Pyrennes the weather always turns against me ………………..here we are a few thousand feet up and ‘off piste’ ………… interestingly we usually go alone but that year my son also came with us in his defender ………

gallery_269_31_607.jpg

:)

Ian

Ian,, no, we were lucky maybe, weather superb, all week :D till the day we came back !!

IMG_1161.jpg

Plus Chris & James at around 9500 ft

IMG_1378.jpg

Mmm,, best someone start another thread, this one is straying a bit :blink: sorry Chris