EXHAUST - Company Recomendations

Hybrid_From_Hell

Hmmmm

Ok many of you may know that I bought (very foolishly) a Janspeed V8 90 Full system a few years back.

I have never been happy with it, the qulaity is dreadfull and the fit to the 90 worse, I spent a weekend "Making" it fit properly, and the the best I could.

Don't forget the 90 is a genuine V8 so a "Off the shelf EXHAUST SYSTEM made for a V8 90" should have been a perfect fit, hahaha f ha :angry:

Even then one thing I couldn't get around was the tubular headers occasionally get a "Kiss" from the propshaft (prop my suspension mods don't help, but frankly the positioning is dire from a design point a view) and the headers aren't even particularly big bore :(

This weekend it got more than a few kisses, and the downpipe now needs welding up....enough maybe...

So

Plan 1.

I am currently trying to track down a set of HUGE Big Bore manifolds,

in which case option 1 may be to have a exhaust system made to measure,

I have been told of a few quality companies, .........but would like to see what views are here as to who ?.....South even better :) BUT Could be a tad spendy :(

and

Plan 2.

Buy a decent system, .....suitable for off road use, ......that actaully fits propoerly .......and is big - or as big a bore as poss ?

Thoughts / names / web addresses phone number etc on both the above :unsure:

Nige

Zero Exhausts - off M20 J9 ( Ashford, Kent ) http://www.zeroexhausts.co.uk/

IIRC the guy to speak to is Keith. They will make whatever you want out of top grade stainless, not the scrap that some companies use. Keith will need the vehicle however, as the system he builds will be bespoke, and fit perfectly.

No, they are not cheap, but you will not need to buy another system as theirs do not rust away - 304 stainless.

No, I do not work for them either :P

Nige,

I thought Janspeed were meant to make some of the best headers - maybe they just don't fit Landys.

FWIW I have a Double S 'sports' on mine. Not even a year old and has surface rust. I too have struggled to get it to fit properly and plan to take it to one of the bespoke guys to get it modified (if they will touch it!). So wouldn't say this manufacturer was any better.

Having seen some v. well made custom systems on various vehicles I would say if you have the beans, probably worth the extra.

OT P.S. Bulkhead nearly complete (two weeks and a seriously sliced finger later), so will be testing the new ECU soon...

i had my stainless steel exhaust on my old disco, which i wanted a it to side exit and be tucked up out the way, it was made perfectly it was by a guy who calls his comapany Torque Technic they are based in Wilton nr Salisbury, top guy great prouduct and great service

I had a custom exhaust made up for my 90 by Longlife. I used the Berkerly center but I guess Basingstoke is closest to you (I believe Jez has used them).

I already had some headers, believed Janspeed but not sure, Longlife made everything back from there to my design/request including a very tidy Y-piece where there was little clearance. I was initially worried it might knock on the chassis but the fitter told me it would be fine, 12 months on and he was right it hasn't knocked/rattled once.

It's pretty well tucked up most of the length, although I have very slightly dinged the mid box.

Few photos....

red86.jpg

red87.jpg

red88.jpg

red89.jpg

Oh and it sounds like a V8 should :wub:

Check out the opening few seconds of

Nige, I have a Janspeed system on the nas, on my second set of downtubes and still first y piece after about 4 years. The down tubes rusted where they go 4 into 1 on one side.

Apart from Janspeed sending the wrong system twice (even though I told them 50 zillion times a nas has a Disco 3.9litre engine with O2 sensors) the system fits like a glove with no difficulty in attaching all the parts. It is very tight against the nearside chassis (that will be offside for your UK spec) and the old system did get a couple of dents when the chassis / propshaft got too close but the dent now gives clearance :P

Stainless systems are not all that they are cracked up to be. Use the wrong type of material or not welded correctly and there will be cracks forming.

There was a guy up Mitcham area called Mike the Pipe who could make anything tubular if in mild steel and I bought systems from him years ago, I contacted the company last year and he has unfortunately retired and the people who now run the business only do stainless :angry:

http://www.pro-speedexhausts.com/

haven't used them personally but i have seen a couple of his vehicles and was very impressed. Having spoken to the owner a couple of times, and popped in to see him in Cardiff, this Co will be the chap that i will use in a few months time for my truck!

theres a thread On Pistonheads if you want some other companies

I have a SS large bore on mine with tubular manifolds. Fitted in 1998.

Amongst other issues, most of which involved the atrocious fit, the joint of the 'y' pipe to front silencer inlet pipe (an olive type joint) rusted through in 2006.

I have welded it up.

I used these guys to do the exhaust on the racer, and they did a good job of threading it round the propshaft and over the axle in som pretty limited room. They gave a good service and were good value for money, and I'd be happy to go back again if needed. Thy're also in Salisbury which is relatively local to you. Hopefully the linky linky will work okay.

http://www.searchme4.co.uk/kemps/company-7462805.html

No fancy website, but the contact details.

Toby