Beadlocks street legality???

Astro_Al

Sorry but my old trail bike had mechanical bead locks fitted courtesy of Mr Suzuki and I don't think they were ever considered illegal (damn awkward but not illegal).

There is also a whole section I found on run-flat tyres using clamps. TBH I don't see the difference.

Its one of those chesnuts with a lot of hearsay and very few facts alas.

Not that I care, my Ibex ones are fake :lol:

Sorry but my old trail bike had mechanical bead locks fitted courtesy of Mr Suzuki and I don't think they were ever considered illegal (damn awkward but not illegal).

My honda has beadlocks too!

i aint sure myself

although i do rember reading somewhere on the net, about a police man doing some reseach for a bloke and finding nothing to state they were ilegal, sorry hear say i know cant rember where i red it though will try and find out

i aint sure myself

although i do rember reading somewhere on the net, about a police man doing some reseach for a bloke and finding nothing to state they were ilegal, sorry hear say i know cant rember where i red it though will try and find out

Hi Pritch1

you may be thinking of this thread :unsure:

http://www.devon4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...light=beadlocks

Regards, gary

beadlocks are illegal, because the bolts that hold on the rings have a habbit to gradually get undone. You have to spanner check the bolts occasionally to be sure. The possible scenario is that jo blok drives the car with beadlocks untill something goes wrong, in this case the tyre coming of the wheel.

The staun beadlock or secondair is indeed street legal.

I am back in the UK by the way!

Daan

beadlocks are illegal, because the bolts that hold on the rings have a habbit to gradually get undone.

So if you use that argument 3-piece split rims are illegal too. I'm sure I've seen loads of them on factory fast cars.

Still haven't seen any proof......

beadlocks are illegal, because the bolts that hold on the rings have a habbit to gradually get undone. You have to spanner check the bolts occasionally to be sure. The possible scenario is that jo blok drives the car with beadlocks untill something goes wrong, in this case the tyre coming of the wheel.

The staun beadlock or secondair is indeed street legal.

Daan

So nothing like the wheel nuts that could gradually come undone too. They might be illegal but I don't think it's for that reason.

Steve :P

My honda has beadlocks too!

Every British bike upto the 50's that had the torque to move the tyre on the rim had them fitted from manufacture, I know of race bikes that left the factory with two fitted on a rim to prevent slipping :)

Matt Lee make them and to someone does not know LR alloys you would think they were standard.

Ryan Cooks racer used disco 2 16" alloys and they do look the nuts.

They even look like the disco 17" with the fake chrome bolts that the Dealers were trying to shift last year.

Is there anywhere 'official' we can actually ask for a definitive answer?

Al.

If I'm unlucky enough to find myself facing 12 points for tyre offences I'd fight it pretty hard

This looks like quite an official site Police Law

Stumbled across this whilst I was there For those running TDI's with no silencers

My take is, there is no LAW saying beadlocks are illegal

Nothing in construction and use covers it, because it is so obscure

There is a lot of hearsay, which I suspect stems from people selling such things as "Off-road use only" Which doesn't mean they are illegal, it implies the manufacturer is not willing to risk a law-suit if there is a road traffic accident - which is fair enough.

What about all the tractors and Lorries that run them on the road

Could there be some kind of agricultural exceptions? Like red diseasel?

It does seem that there are enough examples of 'things with bolts on wheels' to question whether it is illegal at all???

I don't want to find out the hard way!

Al.

so does that mean an exhaust has to have a silencer, or the exhaust must silence the noise? or both? :unsure:

I read it as must have a silencer. Having a turbo that breaks up the worst of the noise isn't enough.

I might have beadlocks, but I also run a silencer :P