hand throttle

hi can i buy a hand throttle kit for my 300 tdi or will i have to cobble something together?i bought a hand throttle cable on ebay but its not long enough to go to the pump.i imagine it must go to a linkage that then attaches to the pump.any thoughts knowledge or wisdom greatfully appreciated thanks steve.

Having played this game, I can tell you that there is a little more to this than meets the eye.

The genuine kit of bits is supposed to end up in an arrangement whereby the speed of the engine can be set by the hand throttle but if you then press the accelerator pedal the hand throttle is automatically disengaged and the engine speed returns to idle when you take your foot off the pedal. This is done with a complicated little arrangement of clips and levers which fits on the injector pump, and requires the cable to have the rather peculiar looking fish bone type arrangement which you can see on the knob end of the cable in the picture posted by Western. It won't work if you don't get all the right bits for each end.

I found myself without all the parts needed to make this work properly so I ended up abandoning all of the bits which fit the pump end and instead made my own:

med_gallery_22916_1111_219023.jpg

med_gallery_22916_1111_219703.jpg

The bits I made are the bracket which bolts on to the top of the pump (two M6 threaded holes already in place on the pump) to mount the sheath of the Belden cable and the bit which extends the actuator arm on the pump to give an anchor point for the clevis on the end of the cable (requires two M5 clearance holes to be drilled in the existing actuator lever).

This does not give the auto-release function, but it works perfectly well.

If I did this again, I don't think I would bother to go to the trouble and expense of the getting any of the genuine LandRover parts. Instead, I'd get one of these and mount the handle somewhere easier to get to than down beside the fuse box where it is officially supposed to fit. There's a convenient hole in the steering column shroud where the choke cable would go on a petrol vehicle which would be ideal.

Nick.

That is almost exactly what I have planned for my truck, and what we did to a mates 300tdi the other day.

We used a lawn mower throttel control cable on his, complete with T piece handle control mounted on the bottom of his cubby box.

Looks smart and works really well.

Something like this

http://www.worldofmowers.ltd.uk/Honda_IZY_HRG_465_Lawnmower_Throttle_Cable_Part_No_HP17850=VH3003.%2816987%29.aspx

without the dodgy green handle!!

Keeping the altenator charging when winching or controlling engine speed for a PTO driven application.

Sorry, must have had a brain fart, that makes rather a lot of sense, in that case an old style bike shifter would be ideal for this purpose.

We put the hand throttle on to make it easier to jump start other cars and also to keep the revs up for on board air.

It does work as cruise control but is a little scary if you forget to take it off before a roundabout! :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

We put the hand throttle on to make it easier to jump start other cars and also to keep the revs up for on board air.

It does work as cruise control but is a little scary if you forget to take it off before a roundabout! :ph34r:

I had something similar this week, my floor mat moved as I got out and froze to the floor overnight, next morning when the accelerator pedal went past a certain point it stayed on, I didn't notice until I took my foot off and it kept going :o

• 5 months later...

In the last few days I have discovered a problem with the arrangement which I described above. To cut a long story short, the hand throttle control can be pushed by the foot pedal control so that the throttle does not return properly to idle when you take your foot off the accelerator. In my case the effect is that the engine never idles at the proper speed (around 850 rpm) but instead is always at about 1000 rpm (which corresponds to the first notch on the hand throttle setting). As such it represents no significant safety problem, but I will be changing it nevertheless.

Nick.

"Appologies if I have totally missed the point here, but what is the purpose of a hand throttle? I have pondered this more than once and never quite come to a sesible conclusion... "

MOD FFR's have them to raise the engine rev's and allow the alternator to charge corrently, I also fitted one when I had a winch fitted for the same reason. Vehicles fitted with PTO operated equipment also have them.

• 1 month later...

An update following my post above about the problems with my original setup.

I purchase a 'Micro-adjust control' cable (part No. 26V02-1.2MTR) from these guys - cost about GBP 60 + postage. This has a 5mm threaded end. It meant making a new bracket for the pump end:

med_gallery_22916_1111_1363595.jpg

The clever bit here is that the hole in the pin through which the end of the vernier cable fits is a clearance fit so the pump accelerator arm can move and the vernier cable stays put.

The other end looks like this:

med_gallery_22916_1111_935870.jpg

To increase the engine speed, you turn the outer hexagonal knob anti-clockwise, and then to set the speed back to minimum you simply push the red button which releases the cable and pushes it back home. It's not quite an emergency stop since it does not actually stop the engine, but it's easy to operate and it no longer affects the foot pedal (so long as the hand throttle control is set to the minimum speed before driving off).

It's not a good solution for people who need a hand throttle to control the speed of the vehicle when their feet are doing something else, but it looks like it's going to be just the ticket for setting the engine speed when using the PTO.

Nick.