B+E Training Centres

Retroanaconda

Hi all,

I've come to the conclusion that having a Land Rover and not being allowed to tow anything of any weight is rather useless so I'm looking to do my B+E (ie. towing) license soon, and I'm just trying to find a good place to do it. Probably looking at doing one of those intensive courses.

Was wondering if anyone had done the same in my area (around Crawley, W. Sussex) who could recommend a training provider?

Thanks

James

I did mine with Martin Lovell based in Redhill and took the test in Guildford. http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(martin-lovell-adi-and-trailer-instructor)_207207.htm 1days training then 1/2day with test. How you could make it any longer than that I don't know, but some companies do.

I did it with a friend and it bought the cost down considerably. He was pretty good and didn't clock watch at all. We basically took as long as we wanted to train until we were happy. Basically if you are a competent driver and have towed before the test is a piece of tiddle. Both passed first time

Chris,

Not quite that desperate yet, a few more years of Land Rover-ing will surely see to that though :P

Ruuman,

That's a great help, thanks.

I've never done any towing before, so I'm thinking about buying or borrowing a trailer (plated to a figure that is 1. less than my 90's GVW and 2. when added to said GVW not exceeding 3.5t (so anything up to 1746kg)) and doing a bit of practice towing it about. Especially things like reversing etc. If I can save myself some money that would be good, as it's looking quite expensive (~£800) to do a 4-5 day course which is what most companies are recommending.

Chris,

Not quite that desperate yet, a few more years of Land Rover-ing will surely see to that though :P

Ruuman,

That's a great help, thanks.

I've never done any towing before, so I'm thinking about buying or borrowing a trailer (plated to a figure that is 1. less than my 90's GVW and 2. when added to said GVW not exceeding 3.5t (so anything up to 1746kg)) and doing a bit of practice towing it about. Especially things like reversing etc. If I can save myself some money that would be good, as it's looking quite expensive (~£800) to do a 4-5 day course which is what most companies are recommending.

Good idea getting some practise in, but I think 4-5 days @ £800?!?! probably going a bit heavy. The test really isn't that hard. Plus the instructors match there tow cars to there trailers exactly. So they tow like there not even there!

The only trailer stipulations that matter to you for the test is it must be plated above a certain weight (i.e. so it's braked) and of a certain height (basically to block the rear view and force you to use the mirrors). Even though there plated for the weight, you tow it empty. So the only thing that effects you is the reduced visibility.

I think my training and test came in at the 300quid mark. Maybe someone on here would do the test with you to cut down the cost?

ive looked into this from a company in slough, cant remember the name but our company has used them to get 2 of our workers there hgv for when we will need them

they said to me that they do a assesment first to see how much and how long training i will need

i dont think i need that much training because the the last 6 years at work ive towed 3.5-5ton machines on trilers behind 11-18ton trucks

oh the joys of being exempt from these things, just a shame i cant do the same out of work with my own car

I'm looking to do my B+E (ie. towing) license soon, and I'm just trying to find a good place to do it. Probably looking at doing one of those intensive courses.

When you do the course it may be useful to do a good write up here as the question does pop up from time to time. Also it would be good for us 'old guys' to know what we didn't need to learn at the time.

The last time I was tested towing a trailer was when I was doing my C+E and I was driving some thing like this:

Unisurge%20FH%20-%2080th%20Anniversary%20Truck%20pic2.jpg

Now I tow trailers quite a lot and have got used to parallel parking them in to double parking spaces at the road side as well as reversing blind side into my drive.

Test is three main parts I suppose:

1- Reverse trailer around chicane and into parking space delineated with cones. Once parked up perform stage 2. Also an emergency stop to complete (easy).

2- Hitch and un-hitch. There is a specific procedure for this that you will need to learn from an instructor. Only allowed to get out once to line up on the hitch, so you need to judge it pretty well first time.

3- Drive. Easy peasy, but remember to drive properly! I failed first time around as I'd been driving for 8 years before I took the test (just missed out on grandfather rights) so predictably I failed to check my blindspot pulling away= major fault.

I did 2 mornings training, then the test a week or so later. Key points are making sure you know how the trailer handles when reversing. Getting around the chicane in the test center is complicated by a line stopping you swinging out too far when setting the angle- in a 110 this puts the front off side wheel very close as you swing out (as the turning circle is carp). :rolleyes:

You need to be able to judge the distance from the hitch pretty well too, as you can only get out and look once its easy to get it wrong. We cheated and stuck electrical tape onto the trailer box body which lined up with the top of the 110's mirrors.

Last thing to get right is the drive- must remember to drive like you did passing your first test. That means- mirror, signal, manoeuver. Checking mirrors every other second, not blocking junctions/ped' crossings etc, speed limits. All the stuff you usually do :huh:

I've made it sound more complicated than it is probably, 4-5 days sounds like overkill to me. 2 days and then the test straight after might be more the ticket. Depends on how good a driver you are though ;)

Sounds very similar to the C+E version except there was no need to uncouple and recouple the trailer, only an explanation of the appropriate process was required.

My 'cheat' on the reversing into the loading/parking bay was to park up, place a cone at the right distance from the back of the trailer, return to look in the mirror to see where the base of the cone came to relative to the 'scuffed' paint marks at the rear of the trailer. I could then reverse into the loading bay and stop in just the right place by aligning the yellow line to the 'scuff' marks' Tape would be just as good but maybe more obvious.

Retro,

I borrowed a mate's smallish trailer for tip-runs, moving house etc, and learnt to reverse that. And I towed it mainly behind my pug 306 as well as my 110 (before I started its resto). Unsurprisingly it was easier to tow behind the Landie!

Point is that if you can reverse a small trailer you can reverse a big 'un.

Saying that I have yet to do my B+E so I've probably learned all the bad habits!

As has been said, when you do it a write-up would be most welcome

Matt

James,

I've been looking into this for a while, too... Will PM you at some stage to discuss as I'd be interested in going halves on a full day of training etc...

I'm sure we can find a trailer to have a practice with, too... And I have a set of extended mirrors to use!

From what I've found out:

1. The procedure for connecting up is a really important part of the test.

2. The reversing is easy with some practice. The dimensions for the course are available, so all we need is a field and some marker spray.

3. The trailer has to be loaded. Believe me, the one I towed on an assessment was very well loaded!!! There is no point doing a test with an empty trailer because it will handle differently to a loaded one!

4. You will have to drive like you are taking your normal driving test, so 10-2 hands, regular mirror checks, etc. etc...

Cheers

Adrian.

My 'cheat' on the reversing into the loading/parking bay was to park up, place a cone at the right distance from the back of the trailer, return to look in the mirror to see where the base of the cone came to relative to the 'scuffed' paint marks at the rear of the trailer. I could then reverse into the loading bay and stop in just the right place by aligning the yellow line to the 'scuff' marks' Tape would be just as good but maybe more obvious.

They don't seem to mind clothes pegs / bulldog clips. My missus was shown how to fit them to the mud guards on her truck when she did her 'C' and the examiners were fine with it.

Kev

Good idea getting some practise in, but I think 4-5 days @ £800?!?! probably going a bit heavy. The test really isn't that hard. Plus the instructors match there tow cars to there trailers exactly. So they tow like there not even there!

If you already have experience with a trailer you are starting with a huge advantage. If you have minimal towing experience, 4-5 days is hardly a substitute, and may well be necessary to become confident.

If you can, I'd agree as has been mentioned above, practice your reversing with a small short trailer. They're an absolute pain compared to a big 4 or 6 wheeler, although some of that has to do with not being able to see them behind a LR!

3. The trailer has to be loaded. Believe me, the one I towed on an assessment was very well loaded!!! There is no point doing a test with an empty trailer because it will handle differently to a loaded one!

Trailer and tow vehicle have to be completely empty, the examiner can (and will) turn away vehicles that are loaded/dirty/generally tatty looking.

We have to completley empty our 110's and trailers when guys use them for the test, we also run them down to the car wash.

Heard a story of an artic being turned away for test because the instructor had left the cones they had been practicing with in the trailer!

Also beware if you have a tacho fitted- now a legal requirement for all hire and reward towing regardless of weight. All our 110's have tacho's and the examiners dont like them- if you have one fitted you should be using it- even for the test.

Retro,

I borrowed a mate's smallish trailer for tip-runs, moving house etc, and learnt to reverse that. And I towed it mainly behind my pug 306 as well as my 110 (before I started its resto). Unsurprisingly it was easier to tow behind the Landie!

Point is that if you can reverse a small trailer you can reverse a big 'un.

Saying that I have yet to do my B+E so I've probably learned all the bad habits!

As has been said, when you do it a write-up would be most welcome

Matt

I'd go along with that. I'd just warn anyone contemplating this that the smaller the trailer the harder it is. They are harder to see as they are too low and narrow and close to the car, and change direction too easily. We have a small rubbish trailer we call the little f****r for those reasons; the horse trailer is much easier to reverse even though it's bigger and the 4 wheels make it more directionally stable. If you did want to use a very small trailer I'd recommend attaching something like a ladder support or even an old car aerial so you can see when it veers off. And it will. Oh and if you have a 110 I'd consider decreasing your wheels offsets so that you can get some steering lock.

Nigel

I'm glad I didn't have to do a trailer test! I've done a huge amount of towing - and reversing is still not second nature! I still find myself thinking 'if I turn the wheel to the left, the back of the trailer will go,,,,err,,,to the right....yes,,,to the right':blink:

Reversing through a chicane sounds like a bl**dy nightmare!

Chris (GBMUD) wins my prize for the best trailer reversing I've ever seen! Getting my trailer from the road into my back garden is exceptionally tight. You have to steer in an W shape and run the risk of denting one of a row of parked cars, hitting the gate posts, fence, corner of workshop and one of two trees with only 2-3cm of clearance either side. I can do it very slowly with a load of thinking about which way to turn the wheel and lots of shunting. Chris on the other hand managed it in one fluid movement at about 5mph leaving the trailer exactly where it should be first go. I was just gob-smacked!

Maybe I should go on a course!

Si

Many yaers ago whe I was with a Land Rover club in London we did a club event where we included a trailer reverse. The course was a short oxbow shape and the vehicle was a SWB diesel with a short 4 wheel tipping trailer.

It was harder then most people thought. :D

I have done some very long and convoluted reverses with my trailers. When I did my C+E the instructor told me that I reversed the rig better then I drove it forwards! :unsure: