Mike Wolfe challenge

Richy B

• 2 weeks later...

i think it was at somerley last yr.................

the site is closed at the moment due to clubs allowing users to wreck areas they weren't supposed to be using.......... and apparently if it does ever re open it will be nearly 2k per day!!!! what club would be able to justify that cost!!!

Me too

I started the "Mike Wolfe Memorial Challenge" with other committee members when I was with the HBRO, and with the full support

of Shaun at KCC and Mikes Family.

Within the club there were / are some prize thwacks, who basically did little except being difficult, daft and childish

whinging at me / committe at the time over many things, which they got short thrift from all organizing this event - , when I and many other the

others involved "Left" those who took over I think a few found it was much harder to 'Organize' bit proper events such as this

than just sit and whine and whinge about bits they didn't like

As with many clubs those that "Do" are hard to find, versus those who "have an opinion on everything" the ones on the

HBRO Committe now (as th moaners many left) may have found / find that there is just not enough support anymore from the membership

and there is no way 1 or 2 peeps can do this sort of thing on their own - no chance - unfortunately those now in the hot seats have this problem,

Site not available ?

Yeah Right, a Call and I could have Slindon, Kirton and a few others - in about 10 Minutes, its more like lack of Commitment from members, and sadly

the HBRO are not alone on that score. Their Membership has dropped massively since the 1st / 2nd events, (as have many other clubs too) but with a drop in

membership there is also a drop in active members and active marshals and "Do-Oers", marshals are hard to get and they go where they are looked after best

getting enough committed bodies to run a big event is a mamoth task

I for one would be seriously miffed if this event fades away .................

But as I am no longer involved with HBRO theres Foxtrot Oscar I can do

But I can get a site if any HBRO members reading this feels thats the genuine reason ?

:(

Nige

It's a shame LR4X4 can't take over the running of the MWMC as a better job would be done. I for one won't have anything to do with HBRO anymore, i don't enjoy counting rivets or reading health and safety encyclopedias.

Such a shame as i did the first two of these events and they were good, and the event was created for a worthy reason.

Steve

Hi all,

My name is Steve Aston, current chairman of the Hants & Berks LRO.

Been reading through the thread with interest.

We are sorry for having to cancel this years event. The fact of the matter is that the chosen site (Chichester Quarry) was sold to a new owner recently. The new owner was not in a position to honour both the bookings we had there or any of the planned CORE 4x4 events.

Sorry to say that the comments by Disco-ron are not quite correct.

We did look for an alternative site for the event however considering time constraints and the fact that KCC went into administration all at the same time we chose to cancel the event for this year rather than to run an event that did not live up to the Mike Wolfe standard.

Hybrid_From_Hells comments about the club and the event whilst may have had some basis a few years ago are not quite correct now.

I have been in the chair for 2 years now at the HBLRO and the last few Mike Wolfe Challenges we have run have been great events. There was a time when we got a little tangled up in the rules but I can assure you now that we are through this and the club is much different.

We have discussed the cancellation with Shaun at More 4x4 and whilst disappointed did understand.

We have Shaun's full support for running the event next year.

Hope that this helps you with some of your concerns

Thanks and best regards

Steve Aston

Mike's Series-lookalike is still one of my favourite comp motors. Wonder what happened to it?

ive been told that the last comp car he had is still about and may well be up for sale, however i do a bit of shooting with one of the long serving mechanics from kcc and he should be able to tell me where or what happened to it. i will keep you posted.

What part of what i said was wrong........ i said i 'thought' it was at Somerly last yr........... and the info about 'clubs' wrecking ares that weren't supposed to be in use was a general statement, not pointing the finger in any one clubs direction.........!

I did the Mike Wolfe in 2009 when it was at Somerly. Great event and am looking forward to it next year in the new truck.

Was planning to spectate this year as I know a few of our club members were ready to compete again, would have done it last year, but not keen on the Muddy bottom site.

Be a real shame if this goes the way of the Dodo as it seems to be the one big event that some of us like to do.