Air line install

madmatt

Evening all,

I am thinking about making better use of my compressor and piping a proper airline setup around the toy shed.

I just wondered how people had run pipe runs etc, I've read about plastic pipe, rubber hose and even copper pipe soldered

I am looking for a cost effective solution

anyone share any tips?

Thanks

Matt

Most of our stuff at work is solvent weld, quite big diameter as a ring with tees that drop to smaller sizes. Neat and easy enough to tee into, only problem is when someone decides to chase a mouse into the underfloor duct with the main supply in on a night shift and drops the steel chequer plate cover (strong enough to take 6 tonne forklifts) onto the pipe and crushes it. You lose the rest of the nights production and the next days as you have to wait for the bond to properly form before you can re-pressurise the line :unsure:

The older buildings just have braided air line running around the top of the wall with tees off to each point.

Both work fine, the latter is certainly quicker to install!

Use the same as Nige and installed air system around the whole barn of a friends farm. Simple to fit and works a treat....

Had a problem with the seals on the pressure regulator initially as the seals had been installed badly and kinked and just gave out at top pressure... Replaced the seals and worked a treat for over a year now.

Neil

I bought the grey plastic pipe-work from Wickes and the relevant bends etc(JG Speedfit ) and seeing as It's got a better BAR rating (12 bar) compared to the Sealey pipework (10 bar) I chose to work with that and so far so good, It's been good so far and It's a damn site cheaper than the sealey stuff

HTH

John

I bought the grey plastic pipe-work from Wickes and the relevant bends etc(JG Speedfit ) and seeing as It's got a better BAR rating (12 bar) compared to the Sealey pipework (10 bar) I chose to work with that and so far so good, It's been good so far and It's a damn site cheaper than the sealey stuff

HTH

John

I've got a load of plastic pipe left over from re-doing my bathroom and wondered about doing the same. Thing is, whilst the pipe may be rated at 12 bar - I wonder the fittings are rated to? It certainly says "not for air" in large letters on the packaging the fittings come in. But presumably that's just an excuse to sell us more expensive, workshop style fittings? I guess you haven't had any issues John? Also, how have you mounted quick release fittings to the wall? 'Wing back' elbows?

I've got a load of plastic pipe left over from re-doing my bathroom and wondered about doing the same. Thing is, whilst the pipe may be rated at 12 bar - I wonder the fittings are rated to? It certainly says "not for air" in large letters on the packaging the fittings come in. But presumably that's just an excuse to sell us more expensive, workshop style fittings? I guess you haven't had any issues John? Also, how have you mounted quick release fittings to the wall? 'Wing back' elbows?

When I wanted to do this I got hold of a couple of fittings some pipe and two PCL fittings so I could experiment and test it before i committed myself to doing the whole lot-which is why I went ahead with using the plastic pipe and fittings etc.

I'll get some photo's of it tomorrow if you'd like? I've had absolutely no issues what so ever and I ran it up and along the wall then down to the outlet where I have my hose reel by the garage door, At £4.00 for a 3m length of pipe and about £12 or there abouts for a bag of fittings it made sense to me to use this method, I think I spent about £50 at the most to sort my air line out-this does include the clips for the walls, the brass reducers for the PCL connections and the two brass right angle compression fittings for where I've got the air hose going to it from the compressor to the airline then at the other end where the reel is.

John

Personally I wouldn't bother with Wickes, I would go to a local independent plumbing supplies and buy it from them. find out if its cheaper to use the push fit fittings or copper compression fittings and whether to use 3m lengths or buy a coil of pipe. Most are happy to help and can advise, and can supply outlets tees etc. and bushes to 1/4 bsp.

I've seen the polypipe test rig and the bends they put on the pipe & fittings were crazy, then then cycled it hot and cold and they were pretty confident it wouldn't leak. I don't know what pressure its tested to though.

My house it plumbed with john guest and 10 years on no leaks... yet :blink:

I've seen the polypipe test rig and the bends they put on the pipe & fittings were crazy, then then cycled it hot and cold and they were pretty confident it wouldn't leak. I don't know what pressure its tested to though. They also do some nice manifolds and if you look on ebay people sometimes sell off cuts of pipe rolls that they've been left with.

I've seen the polypipe test rig and the bends they put on the pipe & fittings were crazy, then then cycled it hot and cold and they were pretty confident it wouldn't leak. I don't know what pressure its tested to though.

My central heating system was fitted by British Gas for the previous owner of the house, in their infinite wisdom one of the pipes was cut a little too short and ended up being installed under tension 10-15 years after the install it finally escaped from the fitting making a bit of a mess.

Sorry for the delay guy's,I got diverted onto other things-of the relationship kind. But here you are anyway.

post-16623-0-76397200-1352708408_thumb.jpg Hose reel end.

post-16623-0-69276800-1352708426_thumb.jpg Column joints.

post-16623-0-73972200-1352708443_thumb.jpg Down to the compressor.

post-16623-0-17527200-1352708457_thumb.jpg Compressor end.

Hope this helps for those that need a visual

John

im new to this forum and already i am hooked, this is on my todo list ever since getting my 200 litre compreesor which i have put in the back of my garage and currently have a 50ft hose going to the main part of the garage but sadly the hose struggles to reach to the far corners of the garage and will not go outside which means i cannot even pump car tyres up because of thetwo landy in the garage. my concern with the plastic pipe would be damaging it. im considering using 3/4" gunbarrel as it is easy to get over here in the west of ireland because alot of the plumbing in buildings is still gunbarrel

I read somewhere that plastic water pipe can shatter and that's why you should not use it in airlines as it can turn into shrapnel, though I have to say my experience of poly pipe in outside water installations is that it does anything but shatter and is almost indestructible, so I really don't know if there is any truth in that. The airline in mine is still on the to-do list so I've not tried either!