Lighter Clutch Spring.

Hi

I have a 200tdi clutch assembly and looking to make the clutch lighter. I've read the 300tdi/td5 have different spring. Is the later Spring able to fit the earlier clutches with a little modification (cut a notch out of the back of the pedal for the Spring to sit etc) or would you reckon it be easier to replace the older Spring ( front of pedal type) with a lighter return Spring so there less resistance. Worst case I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a newer assembly lol

Many thanks 

The spring will not fit the early clutch pedals as they are made from a three sided pressing, the later ones are flat and the spring will fit them no problem.

About three years ago I wanted to replace my clutch pedal assembly (the old one needed painting plus I liked the idea of the later one with spring). As a genuine part it was only £35 (part number SKB500280) so it was a no-brainer, same item now is £100 or more. Ironic thing is that I have since gone auto so it is sitting in the shed with all the other bits that "might come in handy one day".

Since I broke my hip last May I have had a Red Booster servo system fitted to my 300Tdi. Yep the clutch is much easier. Easier to the fact it's weird. However without the Red Booster I still wouldn't be driving. I've also tried a 200Tdi with a Red Booster fitted and all I can say is it's very good

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎14 at 7:40 AM, Les Henson said:

The spring on the pedal is a pedal return spring only, so won't make any difference to the clutch itself.

Les

This is not exactly true, the spring "inverts" once it gets over a certain point so helps to push the pedal then on returning it goes over the centre point and helps return the pedal to the up position.

After I broke my hip I removed the old return spring and installed the later style coil spring (luckily I had replaced the pedal before with the newer single pressed type) - I commute daily in my truck and it made an amazing difference! I'm 26 months down the line from my hip surgery, and my leg is fine with the clutch.

When I was still laid up in bed I actually bought a servo system as like you I was pretty worried about how I would be able to keep driving my truck, it wasn't a red rooster one, but a system commonly used on classic cars to add servo assist to brakes, I've still got it in a box in my garage.

Anywhoo, you'll be over the moon with upgrading the spring to the new type, it totally transforms the drive.

Swapping the pedal out isn't such a huge job. 

The later pedal box without the assister over-centre spring (as found in later Td5/Tdci models) will still be lighter than pre-300Tdi ones as it doesn't have the big long return spring which the earlier ones do. As above adding the assister spring makes it even nicer to use.

I also found than when I changed the clutch on mine the pedal got lighter - presumably the new clutch cover had a lighter spring pressure, despite being a 130/HD spec one. Works great anyway, only problem is the pivot in the pedal box plays up and goes creaky if I don't oil it regularly. When I get an opportunity I will strip it down and fit a grease nipple to ease this process.