Defender doors and frames

ogo

Land Rover defender 90  1994  SA....

Have had delivery from suppliers for doors and their locks - unable to find door frames for skins

regularly offered.

Frames rot faster than the skin so this is mysterious.

Glad to hear of a good  used LH front door frame  

most door frame unfortunately rust out, you might fine some decent doors on ebay or one of the facebook LR groups.

add your location [nearest town/city & country] will be sufficient then if anyone can help they have some idea of where you are.

I have a 1992 110 CSW with 4 doors and frames all rusted out right up to the bottom of the window line - that includes the structure around the door catch. The passenger front door was so bad it was opening by bending open rather than the hinge swinging open.

I don't do welding or paint, so I had to consider all the options:

• New frames welded in, but there was just not enough of the door structure to make it worthwhile
  • New doors - expensive especially when you cost the painting and build up of components - either you buy new fittings, or you strip down your old doors and fit the ancient components and hope it doesn't spoil it.
  • Replacement used doors - The ones I saw on ebay could so easily have been stolen, the distances did not justify viewing first, and and you get no guarantee of their heritage. The cheap ones are still rough and require welding and paintwork anyway, the expensive ones tend to be from later models and cost as much as buying new.

I was concerned that if I replaced the doors with new or used, they wont match the car so I'd end up repainting the whole car.

What I did in the end was persuade my mechanic to completely rebuild the doors. We agreed a guideline costing, and I set myself a top price I would want to pay. The benefit is that when complete they will be as good as new, but will still match the car. So far, he has completed 3 doors and is working on the 4th.

I am so pleased with the strength and quality of the finish of the door structure. The old door skins will go on and cover that up, but I will know they will last as long as the vehicle. Without the ability to do the work myself, the cost is easily still less than buying 4 new doors, building up and painting the whole car.

But I have spent as much as the car cost me just to sort out the doors. And then there is the time taken. He has made patterns and will be able to do the job again much quicker, apparently, but I will not share his contact details until I've got mine back and on the road!

OH OH OH Land rover doors DON'T GET ME STARTED ON DAM LANDY DOORS ......Having brought all new Genuine doors from Land rover  8 years ago (so post 2005), all new dam evey thing in fact lights, seals, bumper, bonnet  you name it complete re spray etc etc I've all ready alli corrosion back ( I cavity waxed the door inside the DAY it came out the paint shop drain holes all ways keept clear)....ITS HEART BRAKING after so so much work on the landy .....I did replace one door 5-6 year ago with a Ash tree land rover one Galvo frame then they marine bond the skin on ......Thats still immaculate ...so I will eventually replace the other 4 and yet again a re spray but £2200 for the doors  and £1200 for the spray .......we can put man on the moon but dam land rover seam incapable of making doors that don't dam well rot...

Edited by sighnbox
  • Like 1

You bought the old type alloy skinned doors as retroananconda suggests. The one piece 2005 galvanised steel ones on my parents old td5 are immaculate still and that's has spent twelve years out in all weathers by the sea!

I have three defenders myself all with late doors and there is not one spec of corrosion or rot anywhere to be seen.

They'll happily sell both types still as in theory the newer 2005-on type are not compatible all the innards etc. from the older type (though most of it can be bodged to fit).

If I went in and ordered new front doors for my 1992 I'd expect to get sold a pair of BDA710020 and BDA710030, which is the old welded-frame aluminium and steel type. You'd have to specifically ask for the newer ones, which are BDA710180 (RH) and BDA710190 (LH) in order to be supplied those.

Are that explains it ......

So people are happy with the steel doors then ???    As I will have to change the other four AGAIN in the next five years at some point......

I will have to look in to the price of the steel ones compared to the Ash Tree Land Rover ones .......And then try and decided what ones I THINK will last longer

all steel OR steel galvo frames with alli skin

By their design, the landrover ones will outlast the ash tree ones- the 2005 onwards ones are galvanised, have all the water traps designed out and no box sections to rot away. When water inevitably enters through the outer lower window seal it is immediately dispersed through three large drains instead of seeping through the older box sections and their easily blocked tiny drains. They also have far superior moulded lower seals.

• 1 month later...