webasto / eberspacher

HoSS

I want to fit a Webasto water heater for the cold months out here.

I have been grazing on ebay for some weeks, but the petrol units are less common & sell higher.

I was wondering if anyone has fitted a Diesel unit with a small tank, and if so how big a tank is needed? i.e what is the fuel consumption of these things?

p.s. also if anyone is selling one, i'd be interested.

cheers

p.s. also if anyone is selling one, i'd be interested.

Try ebay.de if you understand German. There are always quite a few available. Also try wreckers, although I understand that they usually just rip out the heater part, leaving the wiring and hoses in the vehicle. The wiring loom and everyting else is available as spare parts.

I bought my Webasto from Ebay Germany a couple of years ago, the prices then were cheaper for a new unit over a 2nd hand one in the UK. Breaker yards also have them. I have found Webasto strange to deal with direct, I think it depends on who you speak to, sometimes they give you loads of information & help, othertimes they just fob you off to a dealer. webasto tech site has a lot of useful info for wiring & spares lists etc. I use a local marine engineer to get parts for mine, I had to replace the burner last winter as it was coked up.

Neil

Paul Gofton at their branch in Doncaster ( it was a while back) was v useful. Try breakers of Freelander td4 and Disco td5 as they had them as supplementary heaters. You will need to add the timer but thats 30 squid off eblag. Wiring loom can be made up but make sure you get the main connectors for the unit - impossible to find elsewhere!

I looked at the cost - and bought a warm jumper instead!

say you were to put a shield cage around a small space heater

— propane one looks as though it tops up its own tank from a gas bottle

diesel/paraffin ones a bit bigger/pricier unless "as new condition" from Eblag

with a 150-200w inverter @ £15-£25

what other safety concerns would there be

are there laws regarding additional fuel tanks in the car — would you have to mount it so the tank is not in the passenger compartment / rig a diesel pickup in lieu of the tank?

LWT1981 - i believe you can just wire in the Webasto timer interface to the td4 heaters, although i wasnt aware that the td5 disco had them fitted is it a std fit or special to cliamte one, jsut not aware of any other td5 discos with it.

I have a Disco 2 TD5 with fuel burning heater, does this mean it can be modified to work as a Webasto does ie on a timer..

If so how complicated, seeing as the TD5 has a lot of electronics.

The ECU will just trigger the Wabasto, the heater is completely self contained. All it should need will be a change to the wiring loom - basically disconnecting it from the vehicle electronics and the addition of the timer unit. Anyone got the cct diag to hand??

LWT pm me, you're not that far from me, I have a 2nd timer unit and partial loom, may be able to do some experimenting...

The electrics library seems to imply that the fuel burning heater in the TD5 is controlled via an air temperature sensor which connects the alternator output to the heater at temperatures less than 5degC and if that is present the heater turns on. It sort of suggests that the heater can't be turned on as a pre-heater without accessing a connector to bypass the air sensor. You also need to be able to get at the fan control system to get those to turn on when the heater is up to strength.

Neil

Not that simple then, I wondered if a relay in the system to allow either clock or ecu to bring it on would work.

Not a big deal to me as its my daily drive so I'll leave it alone.

I think its a standard fit on diesels. ie TD5 discovery2

Believe its behind the bumper. The Wabasto only takes 1 switched live trigger signal to start it, all other control is in the heater - control of fuel pump, combustion fan and water pump . The temp sensor in the Disco provides that trigger, the timer unit would replace that trigger. There is only 1 output line from the timer, that's the "go" to the heater. It will be therefore be straight forward to add the timer.

Genuine loom has 12v applied perm to the timer. When the timer starts, a relay connects 12v from the battery to the heater. I have a full wiring diag for the Wabasto loom. The genuine Wabasto loom includes a relay to run the vehicle blower fan when the coolant is up to temp. Personally I didn't bother wiring that up. Just jump in and set blower to max.

Hello everybody, I'm new here. Not new to Landys you understand, just to this forum.

My webasto is fitted where the washer bottle ought to be (200Tdi Defender) has the timer and the remote control but will only run with the engine running. It starts OK and runs about ten minutes then stops.

I have checked the battery voltage, earth leads etc and have connected the heater direct to the battery, and I have a new battery and alternator anyway, so it isn't that. The fault started when it was under warranty and Webasto fixed it. It then failed when the warranty ran out, and I have fitted a new burner which appeared to have overheated. It runs perfectly with the engine running.

My theory is this. I think the heater, which has its own integral tank, is too high above the main fuel tank, and the weight of fuel in the spill line which feeds it is causing a vacuum in the heater tank. I have noticed that most vehicles which have the heater as standard have it very low down. ie Freelander, BM's Merc's.

Hello everybody, I'm new here. Not new to Landys you understand, just to this forum.

My webasto is fitted where the washer bottle ought to be (200Tdi Defender) has the timer and the remote control but will only run with the engine running. It starts OK and runs about ten minutes then stops.

I have checked the battery voltage, earth leads etc and have connected the heater direct to the battery, and I have a new battery and alternator anyway, so it isn't that. The fault started when it was under warranty and Webasto fixed it. It then failed when the warranty ran out, and I have fitted a new burner which appeared to have overheated. It runs perfectly with the engine running.

My theory is this. I think the heater, which has its own integral tank, is too high above the main fuel tank, and the weight of fuel in the spill line which feeds it is causing a vacuum in the heater tank. I have noticed that most vehicles which have the heater as standard have it very low down. ie Freelander, BM's Merc's.

Simon - mines mounted just in front of the heater matrix so similar level, plus all the military ones have their webastos )on the winterised versions (Wolf anyway) ) at this height. maybe its the inline fuel pump that needs changing or if you dont have one add one. that would expalin why it wont work with the engine off as it cant draw the fuel. my td5 ones has to draw from the tank therefore has an inline 12v pump. if the heater hasn't been used for a while turning it on it wont always fire first time (that is it runs a min cycle and if no fuel shuts down) restarting the webasto kicks the fuel pump back in and then you get the feed. so maybe inline pump is at fault, i think all webasto have one (somewhere)

heres mine on the td5, thermo top 2C IIRC

WEBASTOSmall.jpg