4 wheel steering

daveturnbull

Maxidrive used to sell a kit.

It was more than just a front axle bolted on the back as a standard front axle isn't anywhere close to being strong enough.

The steering was hydraulic and operated via a lever in the cab. Although pretty crude control wise, it seemed to work pretty well.

We saw a Disco with this and portals fitted in Belgium a few years back.

Si

It depends on what you want to achieve. (Pointless statement, I know).

1. Are you looking for independent rear steer control (joystick, normally)? Will you want a highway lockout / disabler?

2. Do you want a permanent link between front and rear steer angles? (carp on road at speed).

3. Have you considered an 'intelligent' system like the GM quadrasteerthingummyjig which actuates the rear based on steering wheel input and vehicle speed, so at low speeds (parking etc) both axles steer in opposite directions to give manoeuvrability, but as the speed increases the rear steer input diminishes to give better stability at speed, until the point where it actually crosses the 'zero input' speed and starts steering the SAME way as the front, so you can 'crab' across lanes of a highway with both axles steering in the same direction.

There's plenty out there, but what do you need?

Al. :)

Ive seen it done on a rangie trialer, the guy ran in the Devon AWDC. he put the diff in the other side of the axle case, used a standard pas box on the back, and a jaguar box on the front, using a chain drive from the bottom of the jag column onto a square shaft that ran between the pedals and under the seat (with a manual lockout to secure the axle) and back to drive the rear box, and it worked very well!

hope this gives you some ideas to play with...

The old brooklyn 4x4 did it in the 80's. But they told me how but can't remeber now. ;)

Made a low slung defender for working on the ships,was designed for pushing stuff about. was about just over 1.m tall and had 4wd and 4 wheel steer. But if i remeber they just did it by turning over a front axel and welding it on the back. But this was not designed for high speed

I guess that would depend on where you locked it.

Right - most lockouts I have seen act on the trackbar / steering arm of the rear axle. It should be locked absolutely rock solid. (Use a tapered hole like a steering joint, to 'remove' play).

Obviously with a mechanical link to the front steer, you'll need a section to be dislocatable so that when you lock the rear you don't lock the front too! ;)

I'm planning rear steer on my build and it will definitely be independent of the front steering. I'm using full hydro on the rear with a lockout as described. Joystick control. Front will be regular hydro assist.

At least with this setup you can either reduce your turning circle OR crab sideways by pointing the rear wheels the same way or the opposite way to the front. If they are mechanically linked, you have no choice about the relationship.

With a good highway lockout, your caster angle will only be for self-centring of the rear axle - which will also depend on how you set up your hydro (if you go that way).

Al.

try looking at JCB for their loadall system that way each axle can be locked out independantly, crab steer and a whole range of options, think they lock out using a pin which drops into a locator via ram in each corner them thing works s**t hot can you anywhere, may be wide enough to bolt underneath your 90!!!

try looking at JCB for their loadall system that way each axle can be locked out independantly, crab steer and a whole range of options, think they lock out using a pin which drops into a locator via ram in each corner them thing works s**t hot can you anywhere, may be wide enough to bolt underneath your 90!!!

Loadalls and most backhoe's use it, as well as others at jcb. If you want measurements i may be able to get some as happen to work for JCB at the factory where they build backhoe's and loadalls.

Loadalls and most backhoe's use it, as well as others at jcb. If you want measurements i may be able to get some as happen to work for JCB at the factory where they build backhoe's and loadalls.

Which factory do you work at? I live in the area and lots of mates work for JCB (its the biggest employer round here now the biscuit factory is downsizing)

Lewis :)

There was a 130 at billing and few years ago with it.

What are you planning :lol:

Wouldn't be this one would it mate?

www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Four_wheel_steering.htm

Chris has asked about it for his yellow bobtailed-nosejobbed-pickup - nothing I was planning to do to my truck! Pete seems to remember someone showing him a print out of a website with all the info on how to achieve it (with a mechanical link) but I can't find anything on t'interweb about it.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! I'm liking the 'canibalise a jcb' plan...

Wouldn't be this one would it mate?

www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Four_wheel_steering.htm

Chris has asked about it for his yellow bobtailed-nosejobbed-pickup - nothing I was planning to do to my truck! Pete seems to remember someone showing him a print out of a website with all the info on how to achieve it (with a mechanical link) but I can't find anything on t'interweb about it.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! I'm liking the 'canibalise a jcb' plan...

Yep that's the one.

if Pete need parts from Aus Ali will help

Ali owns him a beer after 39,000km around Aus without any mechanical hick ups :lol:

I know some monster trucks use telehandle axles so reckon they wouls be strong enough for a landy! I'm sure that you could canabalise all the bits needed off a burnt out telehandler, our manitou just uses a 3 position lever to switch between crab,fws and aws and is very effective.