Defender First Aid Kit

Any ideas what would be worth including in some sort of kit to keep in the tool box, ie spare parts, as a get me out of trouble and get me home?

I have the usual assortment of spare fuses and bulbs, Auxiliary drive belt ERR5911 Dayco

Any other parts worth having in the tool box just in case? I know i can't  cover everything.

Upper and lower rad hoses, engine coolant, lift pump, breaker bar and sockets, tool roll, ground sheet to lie on when under the car, extra litre of oil, flashlight/headlamp, tow strap, shackles,  high visibility vest to wear when around the car, spare food, water and warm clothing if you are going to be on the side of the road for a while

AND  cell phone and CAA card (automobile assistance - for a tow)!

Think of whatever the vehicle absolutely cannot work without, and go for as many dual-use things/tools as possible.

What engine is it? What are you doing with the vehicle?

If you keep plain water rather than coolant it can be used for coolant, screen wash, drinking, washing things.

Likewise in a pinch you can use engine oil in your gearbox but not vice-versa.

I once bookmarked this topic on aulro.com. Focus is on overlanding, so far too much for what you're asking but there are interesting items in the list nevertheless. It's also one of the few threads on the subject that isn't killed by the showstopper 'usually it's the thing you don't have with you that breaks, so why carry anything'. The list is compiled by a german, so you know it's thorough ;)

For our Td5 I carry a crankshaft positioning sensor in the spares. If that goes faulty then the ECU won't start the engine no matter what you try.

Greetings,

Joris

The engine is a 300Tdi and mainly road use, but i do go over fields and such at times when out shooting. The last thing i want to be doing is asking the farmer for a tow off the bottom field 😞

I have sorted quite a bit of what Cchase has mentioned with regards tools and the likes..... I accept you can't cover every thing without carrying a complete spares trailer and total tool station 🙁

I say i dont mind braking down (we all do). But not for something that is a simple easy fix! Braking down for major work then fine, tow home, sort out in comfort 😁

Plus i only have a 90 so wont hold too much in the way of tools and spares 😁

15 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Nothing, just keep your AA card in your pocket. I used to carry loads of carp around with me, never used it so now I don't bother.

This is not so far from the right answer if you're just pottering around locally / within the UK - you're never far from home, help, or a tow home.

LR folk do seem prone to carry everything including the kitchen sink just in case, mostly it's unnecessary and just weighs the truck down  - just service the damned thing and fit quality parts and it won't break down.

For longer trips ( I hesitate to call driving abroad "overlanding") I carry a drive belt, a single wheel bearing set, a small socket set and a couple of other universally useful tools (mole grips, knife, hammer). That covers ~95% of what you might realistically need to do that is realistically fixable by the roadside and doesn't involve carrying silly amounts of spare things. Socket set is in its own case, everything else is in a peli case. Simple & compact.

• Thanks 1

Power steering and alt belt (I've had one go and wipe out the other), socket set, 8/10/13 spanners and a specially modded 24mm spanner cut down to fit a fuel stop solenoid(and a spare solenoid) as it had a penchant for them.

Hi-vis waterproof jacket, jump-leads, airline (I have OBA), a few recovery straps, shackles and snatch block, a few rags and a bag of cable ties and some duct tape . Sounds like a lot but it all fits neatly behind the seats and the rear bulkhead. 

I do have AA cover but being recovered is an admission of defeat lol

Quite a few good suggestions there guys thanks...... Can't afford AA cover but know people who would tow me back if need be ;)

Have built up quite a bit of equipment over time, mainly recovery gear straps, 8 ton tow rope, x2 4 ton bow shackles, 15ft. Jump leads ect. Daft thing is it is likely to be for somebody elses benefit!?!

14 hours ago, Mutley said:

Can't afford AA cover

Then you can't afford to drive a Defender surely? :lol:

I've always been with Britannia as they just recover you, no quibble, no mucking about trying to fix it, no matter what vehicle, how old or muddy it is.