What is the black mastic LR use?

Troll Hunter

In prepping body panels for spraying I have found there are a number of internal locations where LR used a non-hardening, black mastic to seal between panels, particularly where aluminium/steel contact could occur.  What is this, please, and where can I buy it, or what is an acceptable alternative?  Many thanks for any info and suggestions.

Mike

The land rover goo is not a polyurethane (tigerseal sikaflex etc) but these will do the job provided you don't need to get the joint apart again. Arbo do a polysulfide (arbokol) and a mastic (arbomast). The former is half way between rubber seal (sika) and mastic. Arbomast we use on rudder heal fittings so its water tight but can be removed easily but it is sticky and messy.

Mike

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere that the stuff they used to use is now obsolete, and that 3M caulk strip was the modern alternative. I used some on the windscreen to roof joint on my hybrid and it seemed to do the job nicely. The other favorite of mine for little gaps is RTV silicone. Gets into all the little gaps and seals well, but still half a chance of getting it out again. I only use PU adhesive (sika, tiger) for anything that will never be coming apart again.

Do a Google search for 'butyl sealant strip'.

Arbo will come up as will many others. Comes in various sizes.

I use the round strip for sealing weather shield plastic sheets door frames. Sticks like the proverbial but you can get things apart if necessary - although as said above it's messy!

Thank you, all, for the info and suggestions.  Having the appropriate description I've already found a local supplier of butyl tape.  I want to retain the option of possible removal, perhaps in another 20+ years, although it won't be me doing it, so I'll keep away from the Tigerseal type products.

Mike

8 hours ago, paintman said:

Do a Google search for 'butyl sealant strip'.

This is what I used to re-seal my floor panels. Not too mucky to handle, and squashes into the gaps, allowing for the varied gap widths. Not too much of a pain to get apart again either.

• 2 weeks later...