Hi guys, I generally don’t post on forums but find they are a great place to find information based on other peoples experiences. 

I bought a set of Raptor CV joints, and fitted to my competition vehicle. I opted for the Raptor joints as the company I work for is a Terrafirma distributor so I could get them a fair bit cheaper than the Ashcroft. This is the first time they sold the product so I’m kind of their test “customer”. 

Anyway the point of my post is I broke the one of the Raptor joints almost immediately in yesterday’s competition. Most annoying, considering that I had taken all my spare cv’s out the day before as the HD joints won’t fail....

All my mates are running Ashcroft and nobody has had an Ashcroft failure yet. I just want some input as I saw another post from 2016 mentioning the Raptor joints. So has anyone used the Raptor HD CV joints and had failures in the past? I’m hoping it’s just a faulty part and I won’t have repeat failures  

I have a D1 V8 with 33” tyres and lockers, the front locker was not on when the joint failed.

I know the product is warranted for 5years but it’s senseless replacing HD cv joints 3times in a competition, I could just stick the standard stuff with the same results. 

B0156332-262F-46BB-A06F-7FDF02232797.jpeg

1 hour ago, Daan said:

Interesting, did it break on full lock or in straight ahead position? With a 33" tyre it shouldn't even beginning to think about breaking.

Daan

I was grounded on my g.box crossmember and was full lock reverse. But the front suspension was extended quite far so very little traction on the front wheel. 

I’m sure the original OEM cv’s I usually use wouldn’t have broken. 

24 minutes ago, uninformed said:

What material are they made from?

Any idea of heat treat hardness?

Have they changed the ball size or other component sizes?

Well according to their web site they are made from 4340 Chromoly. And equilevant to the Ashcroft in size and quality.

Ball size and outer Bell is about the same as original. Without measuring it’s not obviously a different size. 

Heres a link to their UK supplier. http://www.raptor4x4.co.uk/raptor-4x4-hd-cv-joints-land-rover-defender-from-300tdi-discovery-300tdi-range-rover-classic.html

Edited by D1 V8monster

Full lock reverse is the most common way of breaking them usually

Ashcroft are using smaller balls, so the wall thickness of the outer bell is thicker I believe. Also, the material thickness of the transition between the bell and the shaft is quite thin. Normally they break by splitting open the outer bell, but I have not seen them breaking like this.

Daan

Im not sure if things have changed or not... But back when Longfield (Bobby Long) was getting his CVs made it was by RCV (then known as Rockford Aeromatic) He started the "small ball" idea to increase bell thickness... Problem is it creates a larger stress riser as the load is flowing through a smaller contact point due to the smaller radius. I think he ended up going away from this. AFAIK Ashcrofts gets theirs made by RCV as well? 

I think Ashcrofts fit the market well, I guess if you are breaking theirs maybe time to reconsider the complete diff/axle set up .

Is there anyone else making high quality AM cvs for LRs?

5 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Have you got more detailed pictures of the break? Those breaks look extremely brittle.

Probably way too hard a material like many other so-called HD items. FOr some reason many people think it just has to be rock hard to be strong :D Life isn't that simple sadly :) 

• Like 1

Yes I agree hard doesn’t always mean strong. Anyway I wanted to support a company any that’s represented by the company I work for, shows what being loyal does.....

looks like the general consensus is that Raptor isn’t as good as they are made out to be. 

I think I’ll get the cv replaced and give it one more try but when it breaks again I’ll ask them for a credit and go for the Ashcroft as they have been proven to last. 

6F3797E7-057F-4AA3-B872-55E180E6D3C6.jpeg

6A992578-4192-4D9E-9633-8768DF2336B1.jpeg

38F5FE05-8FBE-4C02-A8B9-04662135B299.jpeg

After speaking to a few well known vendors about raptor4x4, they have all said pretty much the same thing: Raptor4x4 price **** like gold.

the guy is very vocal on Facebook but doesn’t give any technical info other than what is in the brochure given to him by the Chinese he bought that carp from.

6683F12F-1169-477C-A7E4-E8C7E5B9C35B.thumb.jpeg.5e500a6079cb971210dcdc35cb8f49f0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

My personal view on their stuff is that it's made of the highest quality chinesium. You get what you pay for and by buying from someone like Ashcroft you've got the backing of a long standing name. They also happen to sell a copy of the ARB locker.... which just looks like appalling quality in the pictures.

As for the wings above... what a joke that price is :lol:. I know sometimes people put the price like that when it's out of stock.... but they're always that much!

Hey I’ve been super hectic busy at work the past few weeks so haven’t checked up on the post. 

Progress thus far, Raptor CV joint is pretty brittle. Had a tool maker friend look at them and he thinks material is too thin and over hardened making it very brittle. 

Submitted my claim to Terrafirma; they said joint won’t fail and asked me for pics and explanation of failure. 🤔

They approved a credit for the CV joints. And I ordered the Ashcroft CV’s yesterday. It will take 10working days to ship to South Africa and clear customs etc. 

im going to keep the Raptor shafts and use the Ashcroft CV’s as I didn’t have enough money for the Ashcroft shafts too. The Raptor shafts are also warranted for 5 years so when they fail I’ll order a set of Ashcroft shafts to replace them. 

Im going to try my hand at turning some REAR shafts in the Lathe and have the splines rolled on the end. I want something stronger than oem shafts but not unbreakable as I don’t fancy replacing crowheel and pinion every few weeks. 

Ill post updates on how the shaft building goes when I get there. Lol. 

Must admit If I was buying Ashcroft CV's and you knowing what the Raptor stuff is like, I'd be bunging some cheap CV's in and saving for Ashcroft shafts -  as above if the go, they are going to chew everything up, and it will find the weak link !

• 4 months later...

Okay an update after many months of abuse....

Ashcroft CV's are in and going very nicely, still have raptor front shafts going into the Ashcroft CV's.

Thus far I have broken front crown wheel and pinion twice, transfer box 3rd diff and an unmentionable amount of rear shafts....

I have a pair of Ashcroft Crown Wheels and Pinions on order and will see what I manage to break after they are installed.

cw+p2.jpg