General Grabber AT

reb78

Have General Tires stopped making the grabber AT? The one with the wavy AT pattern? I normally find Paddocks are good for them so looked there first and they have none and its hard to find any anywhere by the look of it. I am after 255/60/R18. If they are unavailable, whats a sensible equivalent?

Even the AT2 might well be old stock, certainly they were NLA in 255/55R19 for my D3. AT3 is the current model, and I remember reading press launch articles for the AT3 quite a while ago.

I've no idea TBH. I've only got 1 AT3 as I blew a tyre (and bent a rim) on a pothole back in the winter. All the others are AT2.

Sadly can't get BFG MT in the right size or I would have switched a long time ago.

2 hours ago, elbekko said:

I'm not a fan of the look of the AT3 though. Do they work well?

A lot of noise and fuel consumption regs go into tyre design now, so off road performance is often compromised for these environmental concerns, especially for tyres sold in the EU.

After 80,000km on the General Grabber AT (not AT2 or AT3) with the wavy tread pattern, I have just replaced them with Nitto Terra Grappler 2 AT.  These seem a great tyre and are similar in performance to the General Grabber ATs.  They are more quiet than the GGs and seem to match them for onroad and offroad performance.

Garry

The Grabber AT2s were good but after a couple of sets of ATs on my pickup I ditched them, too soft. Back to BFGs! Currently running BFG ATs on the Shogun and Ranger, and MTs on both Defenders.

If you can get them in the UK the Maxxis 980 is a good budget BFG substitute with a chunky AT tread pattern. Most of the so-called AT tyres these days are too bland, I suppose driven by the quest for lower noise.

Just now, BogMonster said:

The Grabber AT2s were good but after a couple of sets of ATs on my pickup I ditched them, too soft. Back to BFGs! Currently running BFG ATs on the Shogun and Ranger, and MTs on both Defenders.

If you can get them in the UK the Maxxis 980 is a good budget BFG substitute.

The softness is why I love the Grabbers, I had LT BFGs and they were harder than a rock, properly scary sometimes.

1 minute ago, elbekko said:

The softness is why I love the Grabbers, I had LT BFGs and they were harder than a rock, properly scary sometimes.

Different requirements I guess. Fast handling on sealed roads doesn't really feature in my list of needs now. A fair bit of my driving is on gravel roads and we don't have any roundabouts! I think the Grabbers lasted less than 10,000 miles and I had 2 or 3 punctures where I'm used to not having any.

2 hours ago, BogMonster said:

Different requirements I guess. Fast handling on sealed roads doesn't really feature in my list of needs now. A fair bit of my driving is on gravel roads and we don't have any roundabouts! I think the Grabbers lasted less than 10,000 miles and I had 2 or 3 punctures where I'm used to not having any.

Interesting, I always loved mine. Indeed mostly on-road, but also a lot of off-road. Used on both my RRC and P38. Only had one puncture, a huge nail in one of them coming off the ferry in Calais. Easily had over 50k km on them.

But I get why the BFG might be a better choice if you're mainly doing gravel roads.

I don't think Nitro are a bad tyre considering most US based Ultra4 competitors seem to run them now... 

I've run General Grabber ATs on the FF but to be honest I prefer the Goodyear DuraTracs. They've performed better off road and lasted a hell of a lot longer than the GGs. 

10 hours ago, reb78 said:

I’mput off of Goodyear because of such awful handling on the D2 on 18inch rims. Just terrible on those tyres (I can’t remember the pattern though)

I found them better but may be down to the profile? I found the GGs in the same size started cracking after about 10k which was carp. Ran through £3k of tyres in 3 years on the FF with some laning thrown in. The Duratrac Wranglers have at least 30k on them. Possibly a little noisier as they wear (but then I never really had the opportunity to see when the GGs wore out because the rubber perished or I burst the sidewalls well before the tread ran down) but found them better in every way otherwise.