Smith’s gauge refurb

mad_pete

When you look at the rear of the bezel, does it have tabs that fold over the main case, or is the whole perimeter rolled (right word ?) over.

If its the former, it should come off by twisting it...…………...like a light bulb. However, I usually find there is some sealant/adhesive used too.

Can see the problem ! I must confess I have not seen a Smiths gauge like this. TIM maybe ? Also looks a bit deep for a Smiths voltmeter. Is the main case plastic or metal ?

Would probably cost more to have it refurbed than to buy new ? 

You could try a local jeweller , an ultra-sonic clean may do it intact . The older ones have bayonets and release notches  , so once loosened come apart easily . I've used a small round ended flat screwdriver to work round enough until it comes apart but it's fiddly and if the outer edge gets a wrinkle ...well you get the picture :)

cheers

Steve b

In construction that looks a bit like the TD5 speeds I've recently prized apart. It is a right PITA, but possible. My method was to get some small nose pliers in to try and straighten out the rolled edge at the back, then shortly before losing the will to live, get a little bit brutal and prize it off with a screwdriver.

In the end I decided to up my level of persuasion to say a large hack saw as the screwdriver prise method wasn’t doing it for me and I like my fingers.

so I attacked the bottom of it like an angry badger (and it shows) and off it came.

I don’t think the bottom marks are visiable when mounted  and the glass cleaned up ok so that’s close enough for me. The gauge was only £8 from a boot sale.

15E0F05C-BEAA-4704-906A-2F9E82269D15.thumb.jpeg.8e861da0999a894d0be11fa8bd2e6ada.jpeg526315ED-C1D3-466B-961D-1566B6E28F32.thumb.jpeg.816619c3303de7a566e379380e0d039e.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...