leaky 110 rear diff seal

monkie

The MOT is approaching next month so I have spent quite a bit of time under my 110 with the MIG sorting out a couple of patches on the chassis and putting a new exhaust system on.

Whilst doing this I noticed that the rear diff is starting to leak at the drive flange so I want to nip this in the bud. I've never done anything with either diff (other than oil change) so I don't know what to expect really. For those who have been here before, is it worth while getting the flange kit as in the link below or just the seal? (I'm considering the middle option with a lower price tag than LR but not one from a blue box). Also what about the bearing while I'm here, is that a job that can be done without stripping the diff?

https://www.lrdirect.com/STC4457-Flange-Oem/

Did mine a while back you’ll need to make a tool like this , makes it a lot easier to tighten the nut back up 9DA21BCF-85BA-4202-83B7-A7D6ABFB9652.thumb.jpeg.df25d6feaa91d747989236215dbd6f14.jpeg

A41C4983-F509-40A1-83B9-9C953234144C.thumb.jpeg.49cc9c2dba45201f2c7e13db85e093f9.jpeg

I replaced just the seal , but there are a few other bits that you might want to replace behind the seal like a fibre washer so I’d have a look in the parts book . Think I was advised not to change to the later style flange due to possibly altering the bearing preload , and you need to remove the diff to do the bearing I believe , you need to mark the nut so you tighten it back up correctly , I had a thread with what I was advised but can’t find it on here it was only 3 months ago , sure one of the experienced lads will be along to put you right.

• Thanks 1

Plates 187x111 6mm plate 

center hole is 58mm diameter  56mm to center from one edge .

hole centres for mounting to flange are 61mm and 51 mm center to center  , as below thought it might be easier to draw it hahaha minds not working right this morning.

B4EBC21B-770F-41BD-9D16-2719260B30CE.thumb.jpeg.86ca848907dee89199b4d5677c3799df.jpeg

the bar is 40x10 flat , I bolted them together so it’s a bit more versatile, hope this helps .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, monkie said:

Thanks for that useful info. I watched a video on it and they made a tool not half as good as that one you've got. Do you have the measurements of the holes handy please?

My 90 has started weeping, but I'll leave it until summer to do.  Any chance of a link to the video please?  An update on your repairs especially snags would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

My 90 has started weeping, but I'll leave it until summer to do.  Any chance of a link to the video please?  An update on your repairs especially snags would be appreciated.

The link to the video is here. I'll hopefully get round to it over the next few weekends and I will post an update. I will make the holding tool in the week that Ianmayco68 kindly put the plans up for.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link.  I hadn’t copped to the 110 being Salisbury, and as you say the 90 has Rover.  Still, an interesting video.  I’ll spend a bit of time revising manuals for the 90.  Good luck when you get round to yours.

11 minutes ago, western said:

last time I replaced my Salisbury pinion seal, once the prop was off, I just marked the nut & opinion end with white paint & retightened to the same marks, its been fine for ages.

Did you just replace the seal or did you get the kit with the new flange as well? I'm thinking I might as well do both but in doing so it might mean that tightening the nut back to the marks painted on may well be meaningless?

That was the product I was looking at Richard. Given your success I think I will give that one a go. Out of interest, where did 120 ft-lb come from? That seems quite tight to me (163 Nm) but if that is the consensus and that's what you did.....

The info came from Snagger, but I cant find the posts now. During his rebuild of his diff, I am sure that he said that it took waaaay more than 120lbft to compress the spacer, so 120 is tight enough to be tight but not so tight as to affect pre-load further. 

I did mine on the ground on the drive. I just chocked the wheels well to hold everything still, no special tools needed other than the torque wrench.

• Like 2

Since I'm not Nige I hope this is OK but if you take it off road it's worth asking him for one of his Super Pinion Flanges (his name not mine) while you've got it apart.

They're designed to cover the front of the seal and prevent dirt getting pushed past it, I admittedly haven't had a huge issue with the standard setup (but Nige built up my lockers with them) but a friend trashed two Ashcroft built diffs for this reason. There maybe some shims required due to LR tolerances but he can fill you in on the details. 

Thanks to all for the responses, as usual all are really helpful.

Considering I'm going to the job as Richard describes, 160 Nm is tight in my books when crawling on your back with a torque wrench in hand, grit in your eye and no doubt it just starts to rain! 

14 minutes ago, monkie said:

Considering I'm going to the job as Richard describes, 160 Nm is tight in my books when crawling on your back with a torque wrench in hand, grit in your eye and no doubt it just starts to rain! 

I know that feeling! Finished installing a transfer box lying on my back in an inch of water. By that point I was so wet I was beyond caring, just wanted to get it done and then have a nice long bath.

I think you'll struggle without that tool to hold the flange still enough to get enough turn on it. I fixed a Salisbury with the updated flange kit, I think I went to 150lbft , no problems, following Snagger's advice link, as he quotes the manual as needing 250 lb.ft to crush the tube . If you want to use the old flange and it's scored, there is a speedisleeve that can be used but it has to be put on backwards. (This is a Salisbury we are discussing isn't it?)

8 hours ago, cackshifter said:

I think you'll struggle without that tool to hold the flange still enough to get enough turn on it. I fixed a Salisbury with the updated flange kit, I think I went to 150lbft , no problems, following Snagger's advice link, as he quotes the manual as needing 250 lb.ft to crush the tube . If you want to use the old flange and it's scored, there is a speedisleeve that can be used but it has to be put on backwards. (This is a Salisbury we are discussing isn't it?)

Mine was fine. Chocked the wheels well front and back. Key then is to take the slack out of the drive train with the wrench, push the chocks tighter against the back of the wheels and then tighten properly. Mines been fine for at least 18 months, could be 2.5 years now actually and a LOT of miles. 

• Like 2