Vague Steering 110

All,

I’m finally driving my 110 again after (partially) rebuilding it in the last years. It came back together reasonably well (It’s my first car and first rebuild).

In the past the 110 drove quite well. Not to much play in the steering and power steering was reasonably consistent. However, this has now changed. It feels very vague and the amount of power assistance seems to differ.

What I deed in the rebuild:

• I changed the bushings in the steering and also the collapsible steering joint.
  • I filled up the PAS fluid;
  • Changed the tyres from 7.50 x 16 to 235/85/16;

It’s a 6 bolt steering box (RHD), I don’t hear any strange noises/wining or anything. Sounds normal but the steering is quite tricky.

Any ideas what could be the problem? 

Cheers, 

I had something similar after my rebuild.  Could be air in the system.  I believe the solution is to jack up both front wheels, make sure centre diff is open and rear wheels chocked.  Start the engine.  Then, at a fast idle, work the steering lock to lock about six times.  Worked for me.

Another possibility is a slightly loose or worn belt, which slips a little under load.  Worth re-checking?

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Last weekend I got the Landy running again so. Happy Days!

This also ment that I was able to further investigate on the steering. 

What I did: 

- Changed the steering damper (bushings where shot and it seemed to be worn out);  

- Checked the all the bushings. seemed in good order; 

- PAS fluid reservoir is full; 

- belt is fairly tight and doesn't make strange noises; 

The steering feels vague/ lot of play in it. Could this be the adjustment on the steeringbox (6 bolt version)? How can this be adjusted?

Cheers, 

Things that contribute to loose steering.....

- Steering shaft joints.  Already replaced

- Internal steering box free play.  Adjust as per the manual to remove.

- Tie rod ends.  Hold each of the four joints while someone moves steering back and forth.  It is easy to feel if any are loose.

- Panhard rod bushings worn or loose bolts.

- Loose hub bearings.  Make sure they have a bit of preload.

- Swivel bearings.  Make sure they have a bit of preload.

With everything good, there should be very little play at the wheel.  The tyre sidewall should be the main thing at that point.