O/T digital Photo Printing

bishbosh

Now that I have finally left the stone a ge and own a digital camera, I would like some advice on the best place to go to get prints of all the loverly piccies I will take. :blink:

Ideally, I would like to use a web based service. Anyone got any recommendations?

TIA

Jase - asda onlie quote 5p a photo (or is that a stupid size option?) just looking into this now, got about 540 photos to print somewhere and dotn really want to upload them anywhere. ASDA is our usual choice though, just take them in on a CD or mem stick etc.

Now that I have finally left the stone a ge and own a digital camera, I would like some advice on the best place to go to get prints of all the loverly piccies I will take. :blink:

Ideally, I would like to use a web based service. Anyone got any recommendations?

TIA

2 services I have recently used both of whom were very fast and good quality too.

One was Pixmania and the other was Photobox.

http://www.mypixmania.com/uk/uk/home/?co=1

http://www.photobox.co.uk/

I got some realy nice photo mugs done by Pixmania as stocking fillers for family members and the quality was great.

Photobox I believe are part of (or least linked to Amazon) and they did an excellent quality calender for me from some digital photos I had of my daughters wedding.

Based on my experience above I would imagine standard prints from either of these would be excellent - the service and delivery time was certainly first class. Items ordered very close to xmas came in very good time and certainly before the times stated on their sites.

They also offer online sharing of photos which allow freinds and rels to view collections on line and (if they wish) to order copies of your photos of their own.

As a photographer i can safely say that Photobox is reagrded as one of the best online printers around.

However if you care to take a trip, Asda's prints are superb and also come on a nice satin sheen paper, half way between matt and gloss which is perfect for, well, everything :)

My aunt is a wedding photographer and she takes a CD of photos to the local photo shop and sticks it in the little Kodak printing machine thing (probably the same one they have in ASDA) and prints them out there. Sure you can print them on your home PC but home printers can be variable and if you have a lot to print it can work out cheaper, easier and quicker to do them in a shop and the prints may last longer too (printer ink & paper is not always finest quality).

My aunt is a wedding photographer and she takes a CD of photos to the local photo shop and sticks it in the little Kodak printing machine thing (probably the same one they have in ASDA) and prints them out there. Sure you can print them on your home PC but home printers can be variable and if you have a lot to print it can work out cheaper, easier and quicker to do them in a shop and the prints may last longer too (printer ink & paper is not always finest quality).

Actually they arent the same. Asda setup is on proper Fuji processing and printing machines, commercial ones - the kodak kiosks are nothing more than a pc with a printer attached in a fancy stand!

The difference in quality is massive and personally, i would never print any of my portrait, wedding or other commercial pics on the kodak self-serve machines, but its all down to personal preference. The Fuji machines suit my colour tones/work very well.

As for home printers, you are right, they are viable however as you said shops are quicker, easier and most definatly better quality so its a bi of false economy owning a home "photo" printer - unless its dye-sublimation, but thats a different matter all together :)