Treasure from the scrap man

Stellaghost

Local scrap man contacted me to see if I wanted this

20190713_121602.jpg

20190713_121548.jpg

20190713_121529.jpg

No use for it really but couldn't  turn it down for £30 needs a wee bit of welding and general clean up also some lights 

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Like 2

So started the clean up of sankey

20190716_095251.jpg

Needle gun revealing the extent of tin worm damage

20190716_130150.jpg

20190716_130205.jpg

So started cutting out and welding in

20190716_132834.jpg

20190716_143826.jpg

20190716_153128.jpg

Some bright spark covered the outside paint with a thin coating of underseal which the flap wheel does not like so burning torch and scraper taking ages  on a high note chassis is solid  regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

£30? That's seriously good-value.

I've never been a fan of the standard Sankey: it's stupid-heavy for its designated payload, and has a nastily high centre-of-gravity. Someone I knew had one where they rebuilt the tub using aluminium sheet and angle (which sliced 175 pounds off the unladen weight) and fitted it with 15-inch wheels/245-50 tyres to get the centre-of-gravity down. The result was much more Autobahn-towing-friendly.

• Like 1

I thought so too I've never wanted one before but it was too good an opportunity to let go there's a few bits non standard but I'm not complaining it may get restored with aĺl it's add ons if I come across them in the future one thing for sure its never gonna be on an autobahn be lucky if it hits a motorway  Regards Stephen

Here's what I did to mine. Turned it into quite a useful bit of kit. 

The brake linkage pivot in the axle always seizes up, so worth a look at that. And think about replacing the shocks; they seem to almost always be knackered. Think I've got 88" front shocks on mine. 

I had checked your thread out after I got the trailer, cracking bit of kit but I already have a flat bed /car transporter trailer so in the process of repairing the steel tub then it can stand next to the garage to put all my off cuts and scrap in to get weighed in once full. You're right about the brake linkage its solid will need a bit of heat to dismantle and refurb shockers are ok if a tad rusty but will most likely replace as they are pennies to buy regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Can't remember if it's in the thread, but I used to top nut on the stuck pivot to pull it free with use of a few spacers and washers. Check the brake expanders too, they might need freeing up. 

The tailgate is a nice mod, makes it decidedly more useful. 

Proper job! Those pieces of pipe on the drain holes to stop water running along underneath the plate are a great idea. 

My second sankey is currently in service as a paddling pool with some polystyrene on the floor and a pond liner clipped inside. Also a hot tub with the addition of an Eberspacher. Got used as a semi mobile work platform for hedge trimming the other week too. The uses are endless :D

• 4 months later...

A little something else from the scrap man it's a corgi whatever it is ??? Don't  know what it's for other than something to do with tyres  working so that's a plus with some mods it should make a bead breaker regards Stephen 

20191209_113457.jpg

20191209_113449.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost
Addition

You wouldn't  believe what some people scrap wish I had a bigger shed he has had a lathe a Bridgeport mill numerous other stuff to be fair he asks locally if anyone interested I  also get decent sections of aluminium and stainless sheet at times so can't complain regards Stephen 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...