Intermittent clutch after replacement - O/D Rebuild (Combined Thread)

46 minutes ago, reb78 said:

If I was spending the money on a brand new overdrive it would be a Roamerdrive now. My GKN has been pretty good, but i have heard of others (on here) who have had nightmares with theirs.

I have to say I've been reading this with interest as I've got the Roamerdrive, and it does kinda confirm my bias that the Roamerdrive is a much more robust unit. No friction clutch, actuated by a lever, shares oil with the LT230 and works in any gear forward or reverse, etc. etc.

I think I recall that the early Roamerdrives had the odd issue with oil flow, but I really cant recall if I read that once or not, but you dont hear of many issues and it has to be a more robust unit by design I think. I know Neil used to leave his engaged all of the time whereas the speed sensor on the GKN was partly to prevent engaging in reverse (unless you get to 30mph in reverse) and also to stop engaging in low gears where high torque is going through the unit (not sure this will work in low range though).

The early ones did.. They added a hole in the plate that connects it to the LT230 to improve the flow out of the Overdrive...

(I'm guessing it made the oil pumps' work a little easier and improved flow.)

• 2 months later...

Just made a clear work area on my bench, first job will be an exterior clean.

Yes it was slipping when engaged & disengaged, which made me think it was the vehicles clutch, which if yourememberhad me shifting the main gearbox a few times. 

I was looking at Deven4x4 GKN parts pages earlier just to see that the clutch unit has dropped in price a bit, or I've got this link https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/buy-spares.php?cat=J Type Spare Parts List

6th row from top, they do exchange unit to, 

so with new springs & clutch & gaskets hopefully I can refit it again. really miss using the OD on long trips.

are you in cornwall permanently now ? 

Overdrive Repairs are much better on cost than D44 but they dont stock all the parts we need for our variant of the overdrive at times so i use both companies. 

I bet you’ll find the clutch material looks ok. Its naturally very thin. 

Not down permanently yet. It’ll be another few years of travelling back and forth to London each week with the current plan! Just about to set off now! 

Edited by reb78

• 2 weeks later...

Right did the stripdown of my GKN OD this afternoon, took these pics, its a bit black oily inside & found one part in various pieces when it should be in one piece. had a look on Devon4x4 GKN parts pages, they haven't got a new part of my busted one, so maybe its dead as a dodo. 

WP_20180812_12_59_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_12_59_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_12_59_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_12_59_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_13_34_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_13_34_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_13_34_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_13_35_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_13_36_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_14_08_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_14_08_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_14_08_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20180812_14_08_36_Pro.jpg

the 4 springs are intact, as is the clutch friction material, still got to remove the filter but don't know how it comes out, 

I think that ring sits inside the sprag gear Ralph. (I always thought the planet gears were the three that rotate around one another - they look fine in your pics)

I think D44 have some broken GKN units that they will sell spares from so it is worth contacting them for this part. Martin Kingdon (I think the name is correct) is the person to talk to.

And if you do get it working, change that oil more frequently!!!! That's way to black and gungy! Mine gets fresh oil every 6000 miles. The HP filter (and i reckon you would be wise to change it looking at how black that oil is) is cheapest from overdrive repair services - but you may just want to get it with the gaskets from D44. I have a list of gaskets somewhere, but I wont be able to copy it until Saturday.

Edited by reb78

Hi Rich, No rush, :)

I've sent Devon4x4 a email asking --- 

if the sprag outer ring is avaiable, [busted item sits under the bronze thrust washer, which can be seen in centre in your photo copied below 

IMG_2260.thumb.JPG.c9ce424093a7c3202dae47d777738e21.JPG

& sits around the outside of the gear marked A -- in centre in this photo & the large diameter outer ring marked B -- is that swaged on or clipped in place some how ? 

IMG_2274.thumb.JPG.0e3b9e0d221a89736d622f9951b5754f.JPG.d3fd1ae3436663410ee149d5414e36f3.JPG

how the 3 planet gears come out,  [1 is seized & 1 has a tight spot, the 3rd runs fine, all the teeth & the outer ring they run on are fine, no damage]

if there is a bearing kit for the 3 planet gears. one shown here 2nd down in righthand column but noted as for a 'J ' type OD https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/buy-spares.php?cat=J Type Spare Parts List

hopefully I'll have a email reply tomorow. 

how does the filter come out ?  I haven't got any info on that. 

The filter is under one of the circular dashpot sections at the bottom of the pump (sump end). I think it is the larger of the three from memory. The centre one allows access to the oil pump piston and the other one is a pressure relief valve I think. You will need to make up a tool to insert into the holes in the circular section then undo them (normal thread) and the filter and a small gasket is all that is in there. When we took the one off of Neils, we used a couple of allen keys or screwdrivers wedged in the holes and some pliers - it was tight though so a tool of some sort would be more elegant!

ETA - the filter you need is third down on the left column on your link. I think D44 were asking £55 for this when i last looked, so the £10 from ORS makes them seem a bargain!

Edited by reb78
  • Thanks 1

I contacted the guy ages ago and he never has stock. I have no doubt that it will help to add a larger capacity for oil. Plus a sump plug will speed up oil changes and make them easy to do regularly. David (Vulcan Bomber) on here is looking at making something similar. Discussion here:

In my experience I don't think the majority of these GKN overdrives are robust enough for modern use. I'd certainly go Roamerdrive (alas hens teeth s/h, if one comes up grab it quick !) if I were to consider an overdrive again, a big investment for sure but proven to be capable and reliable.

Mo

I think the recommended oil changes (50,000km) are a big reason for the failures. 750ml of ATF in there for that time..... Mine is on 100,000 miles with me now and it was secondhand when I bought it, so they can go on ok.

Agreed though the Roverdrive does seem like a more robust unit.

Had a reply from Martin at D4x4, can't help with sprag outer ring or planet gear set, also spoke to overdrive -repairs, he hasn't got any sprag outer rings or planet gear sets in the housings either, looks like I'll have to scrap my GKN &/or look for a 2nd/3rd hand unit, or save up for the Roamerdrive unit.

just found this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roamerdrive-Overdrive-Unit-for-Land-Rover-Defender-90-110-130-DA9017/202371073807?hash=item2f1e41870f:g:yRUAAOSwgmJX1br~ glad I was sitting down when the price appeared. :o

my GKN was bought 2nd hand from a fellow 110 owner on the old LRO site quite a few years ago, it's had a good run. according to my original fit photo's I bought it June/July 2005. IIRC it had approx 10,000 miles on it then. 

13 minutes ago, western said:

glad I was sitting down when the price appeared. :o

Even though mine was a total bargain I have to say for £1600 brand new I'd buy it again without a second thought. Especially after seeing the pics in this thread :ph34r:

• Like 1

been digging up dates/mileage. fitted july 05, removed Feb '17, been on 110 for 117402 miles but obviously not engaged for all that time. 

there's one GKN unit on ebay in germany for over 1700 quid, but think I'll save up for a roamer unit instead. quite fancy a 3rd gearlever to play with :)