Intermittent clutch after replacement - O/D Rebuild (Combined Thread)

The Roamerdrive is good, but it's no silver bullet.  I don't know about later units, but early ones had cheap bearings that were not quite true in mine.  They're very susceptible to low transfer box oil levels and hard to rebuild if that does happen (guess how I know).  On the plus side,  all I had to do was replace the failed bearings (no loss, since they were already horrible) and have the sun shaft bearing surface turned and sleeved.  To withstand what it did and be so simply repaired (ignoring the physical difficulty of parts of the job) is testament to its overall ruggedness.  Just watch the oil level! 

• 3 months later...

just to update this, I bought V8Freaks unit from him & managed to get one of these bigger sumps [waiting on delivery] http://maximum--overdrive.com/products.html

Deep Sump,

Larger than any other on the market.  It will work on J&P type overdrives.  Will increase oil capacity and cooling.  Recommended for heavy duty applications. 

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

On 12/15/2018 at 10:53 PM, western said:

just to update this, I bought V8Freaks unit from him & managed to get one of these bigger sumps [waiting on delivery] http://maximum--overdrive.com/products.html

Deep Sump,

Larger than any other on the market.  It will work on J&P type overdrives.  Will increase oil capacity and cooling.  Recommended for heavy duty applications. 

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Be curious to know if it retains the small gauze filter and whether the oil pickup is extended into the sump or not when you get it Ralph. Also whether it still has a magnet glued in there as I find mine does catch some fine particles. The fella selling these wasnt that helpful when I contacted him previously - didnt seem to know when he might even expect stock!

He had this in stock, but it's taken me nearly 3 months to get hold of this item, he doesn't work at these as a fulltime job, my first email was on 19 Oct, my last reply from him was 15 Dec, had to extract the parcel tracking number from him as well, customs charges were paid this morning & I'm expecting delivery tomorrow, if it comes after 11.30am, [ I'll be at work after]  then I'll have to collect from post office on Weds morning. I'll add some photo's of the inside when I get my grubby mitts on it.

Well it's here.  photo's because you all want to see the item, 

the bigger sump has a drain plug which has a inbuilt magnet, also comes with new longer bolts/spring washers & gasket, just found out what the short tube is for [to extend the gauze filter into the deeper sump, Thanks to soutie for the link above, a few posts on that link are corrupted, but it gives a good idea of  how it fits.

IMG_20181219_101048.jpg

IMG_20181219_101058.jpg

IMG_20181219_101138.jpg

IMG_20181219_101208.jpg

IMG_20181219_101213.jpg

I think this will be a very worthy addition to the GKN. I have no doubt this will help reduce wear and also make maintenance easier with the drain plug!! I plan to fit something similar very soon hopefully. Even so, I would still recommend changing the ATF at every engine service.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My gkn overdrive was playing up badly with slipping gears mostly. I changed the atf oil and cleaned the filter and it worked like new for A few thousand miles. Its now leaking oil between the transfer box and the gkn, anyone got advice? Is it a big job to remove it and can i return the defender to being used without an overdrive. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Well in process of fitting the new to me overdrive, also found that the big sump I bought doesn't fit with the transfer box big sump fitted, they both need to occupy part of the same space, so will have to make do with OD existing oil capacity. 2 photos below show the problem, may see about having the overdrive sump modified so the corner that clashes is removed & plated or welded up. Also the 6 bolts supplied are Not the same thread as the GKN bolts. 

IMG_20190505_124115.jpg

IMG_20190505_124139.jpg

On 4/18/2019 at 4:21 PM, Ducko said:

My gkn overdrive was playing up badly with slipping gears mostly. I changed the atf oil and cleaned the filter and it worked like new for A few thousand miles. Its now leaking oil between the transfer box and the gkn, anyone got advice? Is it a big job to remove it and can i return the defender to being used without an overdrive. ?

The gasket may just have become too compressed and the unit just needs nipping up on the bolts.  Failing that, removing it to replace the gasket, either with a new gasket or RTV sealant, should sort it out.  A small, rectifiable oil leak is no reason to revert to standard gears, but it does need attention before your oil levels can drop enough to harm anything.

How much overlap is there on the two sumps, Ralph?  Would it be possible to shave both of them a little on the outside without breaching the inner faces, or does a more substantial lump need removing?  If it's only small, you might be able to use those special alloy brazing rods like George used on his RR floor to use with small ali patches or even to internally reinforce shaved corners.

In the mean time, if you run only one of the big sumps, I echo Reb's view that the overdrive sump is more important than the 230's.  If you did fit the Roamerdrive, then the 230 sump would be of great benefit, but with the GKN, it's not going to make a world of difference.