LT230T differential pictures

Vogler

27 minutes ago, western said:

In fact the original transfer box principle, albeit without permanent four-wheel drive, dates back to the Series I of 1948. mentioned in https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/range-rover/100624/lt230-the-best-ever-transfer-box

The original series 1 did have permanent four wheel drive, didn't it? There was an issue with the cost and availability of the tracta-joints in the front axle, so they switched to selectable and UJs.

Excellent pictures, thank you.

The only thing I could say, with your animation vid, if the time for each part being added was a touch longer.

but great work none the less. Now you just have to do one with Ashcroft ATB and one with MaxiDrive low range gears 🙂

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

The original series 1 did have permanent four wheel drive, didn't it? There was an issue with the cost and availability of the tracta-joints in the front axle, so they switched to selectable and UJs.

Series 1 had a freewheel unit that could be engaged/disengaged by pulling a ring pull wire that came through the floor plate IIRC. 

On 2/19/2020 at 3:54 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

2007-01-30_18.jpg

Intermediate shaft bearings - LT230T at the top, LT230R at the bottom. Personally I think the R looks a better design (much more bearing surface, larger pin to spread load on casing) but I'm no gearboxologist.

Roller bearings can NOT take axial loads. Tappered bearings can. Since the gears are helical cut, axial loads will result. With the R Type these forces are taken by thrust washers which are not on the picture.

The construction is a lot easier to build and cheaper in T type. The bigger problem is, that the casing should be sleeved, since the shaft is thinner in T type

On 2/22/2020 at 12:33 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

These are frickin' brilliant and I'm very jealous of your photographic skills!

Thank you, I'm quite surprised by the results myself TBH....

On 2/22/2020 at 3:07 PM, western said:

Super photo's would look great printed on glossy photo paper & hung on garage wall. 

I spent some time looking into that today, it might be possible. The site where I keep my photos can enable visitors to order quality prints through a UK company. Never looked into it before, I should do some more research before setting this up. If people are interested I can look further into it.

The images are fairly hi-res and prints up to 30" would still look OK, the water marks wouldn't end up on the hardcopies of course.

The larger part of today was spent on further tweaking the photos and making some variants, I'm quite stoked with these 😃

p3834172057-4.jpg

p3833925387-4.jpg

p3834172463-4.jpg

and a slower gif 😉

Greetings,

Joris

Difgif-0,5s.gif

• Like 3