Wiper Wash Switch vs my knee

Hello.

I got a issue with all my defenders ( 2 at the moment, a 1999 and a 1984) . Since im quite tall I cant use the lower setting on my windscreen wiper.. ↓  My knee is in the way. 

Has anyone tried replacing the switch arm with let say a serie wiper switch. Or something else on the dash rather then by the steering wheel... like a Universal 3 Position Windscreen Wiper Switch.

thanks

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

Edited by isbjorn

I've swapped to an Ididit steering column and I wanted to add a multifunction switch to it but I realized it wasn't going to work for me without being some big abomination sticking out. I just ordered this switch today to move it to the dash mount. Not cheap but I'm kinda stuck, just an idea for you. Gives you intermittent wipers as well:

https://www.amequipment.com/shop/delay-switch-for-two-speed-wiper-motors

Sean

Edited by sgo70

I used one of these on a Series and it should also work fine on a Defender. They have variable intermittent built in, so you would simply bypass the intermittent loom for the later Defender and wire directly to the wiper.  These have variable intermittent wipe, 2 speed continuous and wash with wipe.

https://www.littelfuse.com/products/switches/windshield-wiper-switches/electronic-windshield-wiper-switches/75602_04.aspx

Edited by Red90

2 hours ago, crwoody said:

How about a bulkhead removal (or partial) to enable the seat to go back a bit further, I did this to my 2004 90 last year and it makes a big difference and far more comfortable drive.

Well, one of the trucks is a HCPU, so unless I sit on the bed it aint gonna work :)

The problem with moving the seat backwards is that all the adapters rails raises the seat a few cm and then you need a smaller steering wheel, but they are just lame compared to the original ones :)

I guess i have to study the wire diagrams, But it would be nice to have a simple solution for the TD5 and the 200tdi that dosent require any cable cutting. Ill do some more research.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

7 minutes ago, isbjorn said:

I guess i have to study the wire diagrams, But it would be nice to have a simple solution for the TD5 and the 200tdi that dosent require any cable cutting. Ill do some more research.

Umm, I gave it to you.  No wire cutting required.  Disconnect existing switch and run wires from new switch to connector.

10 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Umm, I gave it to you.  No wire cutting required.  Disconnect existing switch and run wires from new switch to connector.

Well, without having tried it. The td5 got 5 cables, like the switch you suggested (also its 24v?). I think the intermittence and washed pump is controlled though the ECU.  Maybe it dosent matter. Do you recon I can just plug it in and it should work? Or do you mean that I should plug it directly to the wiper engine?

For the 200tdi (oneten, converted) it looks more promising..

Thank for the link by the way :)

Skärmavbild 75.jpg

Edited by isbjorn

3 hours ago, crwoody said:

How about a bulkhead removal (or partial) to enable the seat to go back a bit further, I did this to my 2004 90 last year and it makes a big difference and far more comfortable drive.

This only lets me recline the seat more right? I would rather move the whole seatbase backwards (without lifitng it). Never found the seating position bad, only missing a bit of legroom.

First off, you need to put a bit of effort into this or it won't work out.  You are the one who wants a custom setup.  You need to understand it and make sure it is implemented properly.

There are versions in 12 and 24 volt and with different connectors.  https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/commercial-vehicle/datasheets/switches/windshield-wiper-switches/littelfuse-switches-electronic-windshield-wiper-switches-datasheet.pdf

I could be wrong, but I don't think the wiper switch and connectors changed from when they went from an intermittent relay to ECU control.  The plug that goes into the harness should be the same as the original without intermittent and you tie in there, byassing the intermittent part of the existing system.

First off, you need to put a bit of effort into this or it won't work out.  You are the one who wants a custom setup.  You need to understand it and make sure it is implemented properly.

Will do! Thanks for the tip. 

Ill let you know how it goes.

Although they move you backwards and upwards, the height is enough to push the seat over the lip.

Any reason why I cant just cut the lit with a grinder?

How about you rotate the switch body up by say 10-20 degrees... I reckon you wouldn't have to modify the cowl, but just the switch mounts. Probs easy to do it on the td5 if it's the intermittent type (gray/silver) box type...

Just a thought.

Not sure how tall you are but I’m 6’2” and used the MUD bulkhead removal bar and seat rails to move my seats back and this gives me plenty of leg room with the standard steering wheel fitted. If your knees are touching the wiper stalk in your normal driving position then I’d be looking to improve that position for reasons of overall comfort and safety over the functionality of a switch.

12 hours ago, sgo70 said:

The one I linked is the same as Reds but a 12V option and here is a simple wiring diagram it links to:

https://www.amequipment.com/shop/delay-switch-for-two-speed-wiper-motors

That is a link to the same switch I showed.  My link was the manufacturer's page which shows all of the options and includes the installation instructions and wiring diagrams.

21 hours ago, isbjorn said:

Will do! Thanks for the tip. 

Ill let you know how it goes.

Any reason why I cant just cut the lit with a grinder?

No reason, but it's abit extreme when a few penny washers and longer bolts to raise it above the small lip is all it takes.

You can buy specific rails but depends how you want to throw money at it :D

No reason, but it's abit extreme when a few penny washers and longer bolts to raise it above the small lip is all it takes.

I just figure this would keep the seat at its orignal height (every cm counts), but still move more backwards..

On 2/24/2020 at 8:17 PM, isbjorn said:

This only lets me recline the seat more right? I would rather move the whole seatbase backwards (without lifitng it). Never found the seating position bad, only missing a bit of legroom.

Removing the bulkhead allows the whole seatbase to move further back on it's runners, (on a 90 hardtop anyway,) yes it would allow more recline if you wanted to but it doesn't really effect the height other than perhaps reducing it by a mm or two due to the slope of the base.

300F724B-F658-4A82-BCE6-AD29465B011E_1_105_c.jpeg

296FAFA0-88C6-47AB-B13A-732AF769394A_1_105_c.jpeg