intercooler , keep old or cheap replacement?

I'm fitting a new radiator, doing my head gasket and tidying up the engine bay. My intercooler is a bit worse for wear but if not really budgeted for replacing it, I had reasonable go at it with the pressure washer to see how it held up, pictures below.

My 110 is an everyday driver and much as a bit more oomph would be welcome it's low down the list of priorities. If I was to replace it is only stretch to a cheap eBay job. What are people's thoughts is it totally knackered or will I get away with it a bit longer?

1998 300tdi

IMG_20200406_165854.jpg

IMG_20200406_165842.jpg

Edited by Sharp

I have an alisport one on the 110 and it does lower the air temp quite a lot , but are pricey . On the project 90 300tdi I couldn’t justify the price so fitted this ,

image.thumb.jpg.3a168feda1735de7215509f77f00a986.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.a0a0dbdac0df79b3875bf7d2ae690558.jpg

it took a bit of modding to get it to fit and I think I’d go this cheaper route next time , it isn’t running yet  but it looks descent quality.

Lovely clean set up! The ones I saw on ebay were about £100, for the orginal size one and the bigger ones as well. I've painted and tidied up a fair bit of the engine bay so I might have to bite the bullet and stick it on the credit card.

Just out of interest what's the extra horizontal cooler you have in front of the radiator and intercooler assembly?

It’s a oil cooler for the gear box as I’ve converted it to auto , there’s a thread in the international bit where I did some testing with a thermocouple in the intercooler and the temperature drop was quite large when working correctly. That’s the larger one I’ve got fitted the gaps in the fins are larger than standard, there is some info in my build thread in the members section on how I modded the frame .

I have a spare used 300tdi intercooler in the shed you can have for free. It's not in tip top condition but looks better than the one in your pictures. PM your address if you would like it and I'll post it to you on tuesday

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 3:45 PM, monkie said:

I have a spare used 300tdi intercooler in the shed you can have for free. It's not in tip top condition but looks better than the one in your pictures. PM your address if you would like it and I'll post it to you on tuesday

Thanks monkie that's really kind. I've decided to treat myself and splash out on a new one :)

1 hour ago, Sharp said:

Thanks monkie that's really kind. I've decided to treat myself and splash out on a new one :)

A bigger intercooler is the way to go. No downsides. And if you tweak the pump you'll get better gains and lower EGT's. Which transform how a Tdi drives and tows.

A cheap option would be a generic intercooler from ebay and fit in front of the rad. Can be done quite easily at home with a few basic hand tools.

I 'found' an aftermarket intercooler in the garage, the other day. Its from an article I wrote about 10 years ago.

As my OE intercooler - with Daan style mods - is well passed it's sell by date and I had some time, I fitted it to the Disco.

I think they are about 60 odd quid on eBay and come from the home of Covid-19.  So loads of retailers sell them.

It was an utter Barsteward to fit. It's all slightly bigger than OE, so just doesn't fit without lots of minor fettling.

My 200 is quite well tuned - none of that boost pin rubbish - with stage three head, proper pump tuning, free flow exhaust, balanced internals and improved inlet manifold. So I wasn't expecting any improvement (well maybe slightly cooler overall running). I was pleasantly surprised to find it is slightly quicker on the uptake and even more free revving...

So, to conclude, I reckon it's worth a punt

44 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

My 200 is quite well tuned - none of that boost pin rubbish - with stage three head, proper pump tuning, free flow exhaust, balanced internals and improved inlet manifold.

You're doing it all wrong Dave, what you need is a shagged out lump that's done 150k with minimal servicing and a FIP that's never been serviced or set up and then just wind the screws up until it's propelled along the road on a column of unburnt fuel - maybe throw a £5.99 eBlag brightly coloured air filter on there for an extra 10bhp down the pub ;)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You're doing it all wrong Dave, what you need is a shagged out lump that's done 150k with minimal servicing and a FIP that's never been serviced or set up and then just wind the screws up until it's propelled along the road on a column of unburnt fuel - maybe throw a £5.99 eBlag brightly coloured air filter on there for an extra 10bhp down the pub ;)

Damn, I knew I was doing something wrong

On the brighter side, I passed another 200tdi Disco the other day. His exhaust was sticking out of his front off side wing. When I came hooning past him, a huge belch of black smoke poured out of said exhaust and straight into his open drivers window...How I laughed

• Haha 4

On 4/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Don’t forget the magnets on the fuel line, the mangled Coke can in the intake and red paint on the brake callipers.