Teraffima suspension on defender

I would like your opinion about Teraffima Pro sport plus 2 inch maxi dislocation kit. Is it comfortable in road? Is it good for offroading? And what other options are better than this on this price? Thanks

3 hours ago, Mixalis said:

I would like your opinion about Teraffima Pro sport plus 2 inch maxi dislocation kit. Is it comfortable in road? Is it good for offroading? And what other options are better than this on this price? Thanks

Just fitted the 2” mini dislocation kit with medium springs. Rides really well on the road. Won’t get it off road till next wk end.

20 hours ago, Mixalis said:

@Bowie69 the main use is on road but i would use it also for offroad but not proffesional off roading

The original specification system is best, then.  Suspension lifts always compromise on road handling and increase prop shaft vibration, UJ wear, suspension bush wear, bump steer and (unless the radius arms are castor corrected), reduce steering stability.  The cars are also that little bit more difficult to get in and out of, unhelpful to wives, girlfriends, kids and dogs.  You on,y need a lift if you fit big tyres, and those would be detrimental to your use.

11 hours ago, Mixalis said:

@Snagger i want to fit 33x10.5x15 tyres...so with this lift is gonna work well? 

Why?  They’ll be a pain in the backside for normal driving, reducing perforce, increasing fuel consumption, degrading handling and reducing steering lock.  They’ll also increase vibration as balancing is more difficult and tyre wear has a greater effect of changing their balance.  All for a little leaning, which is simple enough to with some more reasonably priced 235/85 ATs.

There is a lot of wilful mis-selling in Land Rover circles of after market accessories and modifications, sold as upgrades but in reality they hobble the vehicles.  It’s mostly false advertising and fraud.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mixalis said:

@Chicken Drumstick I mean that the main use is on road but also few times for offroad...so i want something comfortable on road and also good for offroad

Then stay standard!  Any of those oversize tyres or suspension mods will significantly decrease comfort!

6 hours ago, Mixalis said:

@Chicken Drumstick I mean that the main use is on road but also few times for offroad...so i want something comfortable on road and also good for offroad

A stock Defender is highly capable off road. I'm not saying you shouldn't lift it, but you don't need to in order to improve off road ability.

Likewise 'extreme' suspension is usually best used for extreme activities. Normal road use will not be its forte.

I have run 33.11.50R15 Simex tyres on stock suspension 90's before. They do fit, but might rub the wheel arch flares under flex or high speed cornering. These measured about 34" tall against the tape measure.

qTSqYtSh.jpg

However depending on the rims you use, they might stick out of the arches, which in the UK would be illegal. A lift will give you more clearance when the vehicle is standing, but if it is still flexy, then when the wheel moves up all the lift is gone and they may still rub when off road.

A 285/75R16 might be an option, slightly smaller, but still look big and chunky on a stock suspension Defender. Again watch for them sticking out of the arches however. As for the Terrafirma kit you cite. It looks fine, although isn't what I'd personally run.

Edited by Chicken Drumstick

• 2 weeks later...

I have a customer with a td5 90 with that terrafirma 2" kit fitted. 

It is the second worst driving Defender I have ever driven and IMHO downright dangerous and unfit to be used on a public road. It puts my business at risk. It's all so cool looking until there's a child in the road. Genuine equipment is Vehicle Type approved and DOT tested and therefore Insurable. Modifying suspension is highly illegal on the continent unless it's factory supplied equipment and there is a reason for this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chuff said:

I have a customer with a td5 90 with that terrafirma 2" kit fitted. 

It is the second worst driving Defender I have ever driven and IMHO downright dangerous and unfit to be used on a public road. It puts my business at risk. It's all so cool looking until there's a child in the road. Genuine equipment is Vehicle Type approved and DOT tested and therefore Insurable. Modifying suspension is highly illegal on the continent unless it's factory supplied equipment and there is a reason for this.

Yet in many places outside the EU modified suspension is perfectly fine and accepted. Who is to say the EU bureaucrats are actually correct? A 2" lift really shouldn't be making it drive all that differently on the road. Suspect there is a lot more going on here...

Worth noting, Terrafirm kit is cheap. Made to low cost in China, big mark up from the wholesaler, big mark up from the retailer. Quality is better than it was, but still averages 1 replacement for every 10 shocks sold..

The springs are very good - although the powder coating is carp.

Better to look at OME - as Britpart import them now and have a good deal. The Devotech springs form D4x4 are very good

As previously mentioned, the standard OEM is very good - especially the Delphi gas shocks (£16 each). Trimming the flairs works well - keeps your CoG better.

I wouldn't bother with the 33/10.50 - I'd go 255/85x16. Similar size and cheaper - also fitted to Factory for some applications so homolgated for the vehicle.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Curious. What factory Defenders has 255/85R16? 

A number of utilities ordered them, so many that Land Rover actually type approved them for Defender, along with 265/75x16. Discovery one is approved for 225/75x16 and 215/85x16.

Speshul Vehicles used to have to get IVA for various mods for big orders, so it was cheaper to get the main factory to do stuff like tyres/wheels for stuff like that. Hutchinson  (3) bought some 260 D2 commercials off LR; with an internal cage for the roof rack support, rear jump seat and so on. So it got build approval.... Freebie TD4 commercial autos for 02 - same thing

5 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

A number of utilities ordered them, so many that Land Rover actually type approved them for Defender, along with 265/75x16. Discovery one is approved for 225/75x16 and 215/85x16.

Speshul Vehicles used to have to get IVA for various mods for big orders, so it was cheaper to get the main factory to do stuff like tyres/wheels for stuff like that. Hutchinson  (3) bought some 260 D2 commercials off LR; with an internal cage for the roof rack support, rear jump seat and so on. So it got build approval.... Freebie TD4 commercial autos for 02 - same thing

Very interesting, thank you :)

I don't suppose you have any proof of the Type Approval for 255/85's do you, or know a way to get hold of it?

Why this obsession with lifting a vehicle that will be used for road and the occasional bit of laning?  It’s an expensive way of making the car less pleasant to drive, causes more problems with height restrictions like bridges, car parks, garages and tree branches, and as a new vehicle to you, you’ll probably be needing to save the money to spend on repairs and servicing that was neglected by the previous owner.

• Like 2