Side steps

I think the restriction on how far they protrude would be realities to the headlight and tail light positions rather than the wheel arches,  but I doubt there would be any problem with moving them a full tube diameter outboard.  The rules around body fittings and projections seem more concerned with radii and sharpness than anything else.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

The rules around body fittings and projections seem more concerned with radii and sharpness than anything else.

I did have a quick look at the law before trying to answer and could only find rules on bulky loads overhanging the vehicle. I'll take another look as it's worth knowing. 

9 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

I like mine but they are useless for steps like yours tho nice n stick out👍

Those aren't mine, just a Google image but shows how much the normal ones stick out. Wish my car was finished enough to put steps on...

You’re primarily concerned with complying with Reg 100 of Con & Use which relates to the condition of a vehicle and any accessories that may present a risk of danger to others.

It’s very wide in its scope and can be applied in all manner of situations. If the steps are a manufacturer approval type, suitable for the vehicle and fitted and maintained correctly then you will be fine.

As an example the same regulation applies when fitting other items that may protrude such as winches or tow hitches.

If you deviate from the original design say for instance by extending your steps outward, then you need to satisfy yourself that by doing so you are not introducing any additional risk for example, injury to pedestrians, even when the vehicle is stationary.

That same legislation also covers maximum allowable vehicle widths which if memory serves is 2.5m for a Landrover type vehicle.

I’ve alway said the winch on the front is really bad in an accident if you run someone over if it’s your fault or not I recon they should have a big padding over them,

anyway I’d like to move them out just enough to get my foot on comfortably to get in the car.  

On 8/23/2020 at 2:38 PM, ThreePointFive said:

It's probably the angle but they do look very close in.

These look to be further out and are standard. The law on these things might say otherwise but there must be a good few designs that protrude from the line of the wheel arches.

90.jpg

@ThreePointFive did you have to modify these to fit with your fuel tank on drivers side? I've just bought a pair and working out the best way to fit on my 1989 90

On 8/31/2020 at 8:01 AM, ballcock said:

Somebody else who hates that expression. What is a "bad"? I've had a bad back, bad luck but never just a "bad".

Just say what you mean the first place otherwise I’m going to be an ass and ask you to explain your self then you got to repeat your self 

stupid really 😂

Take a look at the original LR folding side step. It sticks out way further than what you have shown, and beyond the width of a factory spec wheel and tyre. This is one reason they get mangled so easily when one ventures off road. They are however much better as an access aide than the tubular style.

image.png.2c2dd9c8058128d732a87db2031239de.png

3 hours ago, mickeyw said:

Take a look at the original LR folding side step. It sticks out way further than what you have shown, and beyond the width of a factory spec wheel and tyre. This is one reason they get mangled so easily when one ventures off road. They are however much better as an access aide than the tubular style.

image.png.2c2dd9c8058128d732a87db2031239de.png

Ironically not the best choice of photo as it is of a Defender folding step under a Mill Services jackable sill that protrudes an inch from the body.  On a SIII. 🤫. But the point is well made - it gives a reasonable indication of perfectly legal protrusion, and in this case with a shape that is less pedestrian friendly than a gently curved large diameter tube.  The step above is bolted through the normal sill, so is in the standard position it would be on a Defender.  And I agree, having had the genuine LR tubular side steps on a 2009 90XS, and also the flat side steps on my RRC, that these folding types are much more sensibly sited for actual use.

13 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

Just say what you mean the first place otherwise I’m going to be an ass and ask you to explain your self then you got to repeat your self 

stupid really 😂

Wow. I sincerely apologise for upsetting you both with my poor use of language. I’ll do better in future 🙄🤣