Western gone awol

Probably in the wrong area but 

has anyone seen or heard anything from Ralph.???

curious to know if he’s ok .

normally he’s the first to reply and solve people’s problems and the last time I can see he was on here was about 3 days ago

hopefully just got his head under the bonnet

Thanks for the concern,  :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

just haven't been on very much today, my 110 is fine to, swapped the bonnet hinge bushes earlier today, waiting for a new top hinge,a new check bar & shouldered bolt for rear door just to eliminate some unwanted play/wear. 

• Like 3

Haven't touched any beer for months, not been trapped anywhere, except at work doing a week of 12 hour days & 12 hour split over the weekend, then a week off & opposite shift is on duty. 

Great stuff.

Glad to hear you’re well

bonnet... hmmmm one of my to do things... gotta change this death trap scissor contraption for struts or a stick.

Sick of feeling like a part of the film Christine every time I go under the bonnet

as for a solid bonnet prop, I have one from my old bonnet sat in garage doing nothing, it has the stowage clip as well.

2 hours ago, Chambo110 said:

bonnet... hmmmm one of my to do things... gotta change this death trap scissor contraption for struts or a stick.

Sick of feeling like a part of the film Christine every time I go under the bonnet

Word of warning the down side to the solid prop is when the wind gets under the bonnet and lift's it the prop drops down and slams the bonnet on the back of your head. Don't ask how I know this......:im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

Mike

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Word of warning the down side to the solid prop is when the wind gets under the bonnet and lift's it the prop drops down and slams the bonnet on the back of your head. Don't ask how I know this......:im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

Mike

😂 that be my luck. Swap it to avoid head injury then get one anyway.

Hmmm ok.

so who’s done struts then?

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Mike

How do you know that Mike ? 🤔🤣

Mo

12 hours ago, western said:

Haven't touched any beer for months, not been trapped anywhere, except at work doing a week of 12 hour days & 12 hour split over the weekend, then a week off & opposite shift is on duty. 

as for a solid bonnet prop, I have one from my old bonnet sat in garage doing nothing, it has the stowage clip as well.

Sorry the old one piece bonnet prop has ben sold, thought I still had it. Talk to Nige about bonnet strut kits.

19 hours ago, Chambo110 said:

Great stuff.

Glad to hear you’re well

I’ve heard that comment made and was told that the solid prop was mandated for bonnets carrying a spare wheel, but I don’t understand why.  Series vehicles continue to cope with their scissor props, and I never had an issue with that.  But holding the bonnet (with wheel, sound proofing and pioneer tools) open while reaching for the clipped prop is a damned nuisance and a hazard, made worse by the bull bar being in the way, and it’s very difficult for my wife.  I want to retrofit the scissor type - I’m sick of the solid rod.  As long as the bolts, pins or rivets through the scissor bars are in good order, it shouldn’t pose any risk.

12 hours ago, Snagger said:

......  As long as the bolts, pins or rivets through the scissor bars are in good order, it shouldn’t pose any risk.

Until you clip it with an elbow.

im gonna go gas struts as per megasquirt link above ..

cheers landrovers 👍

On 12/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, Chambo110 said:

Until you clip it with an elbow.

im gonna go gas struts as per megasquirt link above ..

cheers landrovers 👍

That’s why the lower end has a slot and the bracket has multiple flanges - it should lock in position and the bonnet need a significant lift to disengage the bottom of the scissor from the interlocks.

Any chance you could post up some pictures?  I’d be interested in buying yours if it’s in good order.

1 hour ago, Chambo110 said:

If the rain stops I’ll go get some.  
I would say it’s knackered then as nothing locks anywhere. The slightest touch and you end up as lunch 

Maybe it is slightly different from the Series version - they look the same to me, perhaps the upper leg extended a bit for the longer bonnet.  The Series version locks in pretty well.  Thanks for agreeing to take the pictures- no rush, though.  It might also clear up if there is a significant difference from the earlier version.

They do.  Can’t quite see the bottom end of the Lowe section in its bracket - the Series version has a pointed end that sits against a lug on the bracket in the spot hidden by the rad hose, and locks it pretty solidly, but that may be shorter on yours or the lug may be missing.  They tended to sit more cranked on the series version, too, the bottom section nearly vertical and a good 15 degree bend at the middle hinge, but yours looks nearly straight.

Anyway, it looks good enough for me to fiddle with and try to get to function like the Series version, whatever may be preventing it.  Let me know what you’d like for it and where you are and we’ll sort something out, if you don’t mind being patient - I don’t get back to the UK often, so storage is as much a problem as collection for me, and right now is worse!

FWIW I have the standard 'scissor' prop on my bonnet. Was under it in a decent wind earlier this week fixing a headlight wiring issue and while I could hear an occasional knock, it stayed put.

Looking at the pics though, I think the problem is simply that the lower half of the prop is bent just above the bracket. I think that's causing a misalignment of the locking section and making the angle too flat.

I think if you could separate them, and stick that in a vice to straighten the kink, it would go back to working as it should.