I had assumed they introduced the curve on the RRC chassis, and by legacy, the 110 and 90 to give some sort of energy absorption in a shunt - not quite a crumple zone, but along those lines.  The Series chassis were all straight, so transmit shunt loads without much absorption unless they split their welds and peel like a banana.  I had been under the impression that all 110s had the swoop, a floor brace sitting on legs attached to the rails to replicate the top of a 109 chassis.

Before I can finish the rear cross member, I have to make sure heights are correct as the rear chassis ties from top of cross member to top of chassis rails will also form the rear load bearing points. 

first was to get the bulkhead in what should be it’s final position. You can not adjust the height or move it left or right given how it’s mounted. You can adjust with packers back and forth to square up. And you can adjust the vertical tilt with packers between the bulkhead to front chassis brackets. Mine was out of level a bit, so I offset the holes going from 1/2” to 14mm. This got me within 2mm and still left plenty material around the holes in both the bulkhead and outriggers. I also had to make my heavy duty sill/slider mounts as these pick up the bulkhead. I will be welding a bit of 5mm flat where the X is with it hard to the bottom of the mount. This to stop the mount rotating around the bolt as the slider is offset. (A common point missed in aftermarket sliders) 

IMG_0343.thumb.jpeg.1dd79747209ef22c18e33d6b880a8b6f.jpeg

After getting the bulkhead sorted for height and square (fortunately it is only 1mm of centre left to right 🙏🏼) , I then had to play with the rear of tub set up, to then set the tub bulkhead height, to then check this in relation to floor and load bearing points. I still have 2 factory load bearing points each side so needed around 27mm between them and floor. 

The rear of tub consists of the main mounting angle, which sets the height of floor, end panels etc. It was a matter of taking a guess , clamping it altogether, then pulling a string line from the front bulkhead to rear end panel ( in the corner where the curve meets the vertical ) and then adjusting the height of the tub bulkhead until it met the string at the same point. Then check the gap between underside of floor to load bearing points. 

IMG_0341.thumb.jpeg.3175d0722138de60d0d115d96e9ab2e5.jpeg

I feel I have it close enough to move forward and fabricate the tub bulkhead mounts. Then I can bolt this in its proper position (just bodged in place currently) and it’s my reference for load bearing heights. 

Of course, constant checking throughout the process will continue….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Are you building the tub from all new parts?

How is the height of the crossmember in relation to the bottom of the tub back?

I want to steal your knowledge before welding mine!🤪

Cheers

Dave

I have new side panels and new rear 1/4 panels. I’ll be using a secondhand Defender cab chassis rear of cab (Tub bulkhead). I’ll make my own floor from new aluminium, I have new floor stiffeners and old Series tub cross members. Wheel wells will be made from scratch as well (the floor and wheel wells need to be formed around the damper mounts.  Basically buy the formed panels and do the easy straight folds etc.

What tub are you using? 88” or 109” as there are differences between the two that may affect that measurement.

at the moment I’m about 13mm gap between the top of my cross member and the bottom edge of tub rear mounting angle. I’m pretty sure this profile is bigger than the factory old Series type…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TD5toV8110 said:

I'm using a 109 tub.

Shortened 400mm at the back, fabricating an under-cab bulkhead (for 150mm cab extension), possibly re-shape the arches.

Cheers

Dave

Ok so the 109 tub should have the similar setup at the rear. That is, the main rear mounting angle (sort of M shape), then on top of that there is a small transition angle (sort of Z shape), then the floor. 

I have Series tub cross members so they will be the same, and apparently same as Def’r anyway. 

I’ll measure my main rear mounting angle as I think it a touch bigger than a 109 version…

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Mint as usual!

Did you fabricate the bolt on bracket on the right then go welded?

Cheers

Dave

Yeah, the factory bracket didn’t have the offset I needed so was going to fabricate four. I did one, then used the factory ones I had, mocked up the tub bulkhead clamped to the outriggers and found how flexi they both were. Probably fine for the application but I figured stronger, lighter and no bolts had to be better. And probably less work to be honest as those bolt on mounts are fiddly to make…

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Are you doing extended cab, if so, how much?

Cheers

Dave

Yes I’m making the cab bigger by ~200mm. By way of longer doors though. Extra cabs don’t really solve the ergonomic issues. 

So the rear of cab and seat base all get moved rearward and I’ll need longer floors and the structural sills . 

• Like 1