Epic as usual!

Hey Serg, what is the height from top of spring perch (rearmost) to floor?

And top of cross member to floor?

I'm doing remarkably similar (but 99% more ****!)

My pre cut measurements were 11mm different left to right! (straight edge on topside of chassis to croissmember)

I ended up with a measurement from floor to centre of crossmember. (a random average....)

Would be nice to see what you have (to the nearest 0.01mm!) 😁

Cheers 

Dave

PS can't you use weld through primer for TIG?

9 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Epic as usual!

Hey Serg, what is the height from top of spring perch (rearmost) to floor?

And top of cross member to floor?

I'm doing remarkably similar (but 99% more ****!)

My pre cut measurements were 11mm different left to right! (straight edge on topside of chassis to croissmember)

I ended up with a measurement from floor to centre of crossmember. (a random average....)

Would be nice to see what you have (to the nearest 0.01mm!) 😁

Cheers 

Dave

PS can't you use weld through primer for TIG?

As mine was a cab chassis tray back, I had no floor to reference from. I simply put my straight edge along the load bearing points and measured the gap between it and the top of the old cross member before removing it. I had 48mm left side and 53mm right side. That could be the mounts as much as anything. I just used the left side as my guide and set it level (across) with the chassis. I made the outside vertical face of new cross member square to the straight edge. I also used a layout line laser to make sure it was square to the chassis centreline. 

All my bodywork etc is referenced off this chassis centreline. 

None of my local welding suppliers carry weld through primer and I’ve read mixed result’s regarding TIG. 

IMG_0085.thumb.jpeg.c190c305301583c2f6a8bc57558f1cc8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Dave...build thread pleeeze.....lol

Regards Stephen

Mine is embarrassingly carp compared to the legendary work on here....

I literally had a hip replacement last week, so walking wounded right now!

Pelvis/femur fractures due to 1/2 ton ride on mower squashing me 6 months ago... (not old age!)🤪

I will aim to start a thread next week.....Lets say October 1st. Now I'm committed!😬

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Hey Serg, on mine those load bearing points are all over the place as well; classic LR tolerances. 

Mine was a 2000 5 door.

I'm sticking a chopped up S3 tub on it so who knows what to reference from...

As long as you have a reference from the chassis to the original cross member then you’ve got a starting point. 

I think I’m lucky in that when I level across the front of the chassis, the rear is within 1mm. So level across is level across. From there it was my distance below the straight edge and square to centreline. 

I know my front bulkhead mounts are out of square by about 6-7mm and height is a bit out of level across as well. A little fettling and it should be ok. 

Remember you have height adjustment in the rear cross member mounts, and front of tub mounts. It’s only the front bulkhead that has no height adjustment, only fore/aft lean at top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 6:25 AM, uninformed said:

They all look the same painted black lol

Black looks smart though, it's when people paint chassis & axles bright primary colours that ruins it... also it's usually folks who should probably not be drawing attention to their mods who paint it all bright yellow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Black looks smart though, it's when people paint chassis & axles bright primary colours that ruins it... also it's usually folks who should probably not be drawing attention to their mods who paint it all bright yellow.

Absolutely 👍, I was more commenting that when painted black it covers sins and efforts the same lol. I’ll be painting mine stock colours throughout, I don’t want attention when it’s on the road 

4 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Are you using 3mm for that (and the gussets)?

🤔

Yes, 3mm for the chassis rail doublers , and the top and bottom flanges. I haven’t finalised the gussets yet. There will also be a 3mm formed RHS going from top of rear cross member to top of chassis rail 

• Thanks 1

To say this was challenging is an understatement…. 50% of the welding was lying on my back (overhead) and 50% of the welding was left handed to keep all weld direction the same (reduce distortion). On top of that we’ve had unfriendly welding weather, I had to add another two walls to the shed (portable fold down camping gazebo). 

but at least it’s in…

IMG_0177.thumb.jpeg.d102234d0f8dd6909fdab3339c8f121f.jpeg

IMG_0178.thumb.jpeg.665e5896145e706753c04ab445e7c59d.jpeg

• Like 4