Civvy tow hitch needed on a 1998 wolf 90?

Flyfish

Could one of you learned folk out there please give me the short answer to wether there is a straight bolt on replacement to a ball hitch from the military hitch,or which dixon bate adjustable I might be able to fit the wolf?

Many thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Could one of you learned folk out there please give me the short answer to wether there is a straight bolt on replacement to a ball hitch from the military hitch,or which dixon bate adjustable I might be able to fit the wolf?

Many thanks in advance.

I have fitted a series plate to my Wolf . It bolts straight onusing the existing holes. 

I did weld two reinforcing arms from the tow plate to the jate ring bolt holes to stop any potential twist of the crossmember.

Gluv 

IMG_0682.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

So a dixon bate adjustable up to 1998 should fit,obviously I was concerned that the plate or hitch holes would match up,and whether the strengthening arms would locate to a fixing point.

Phoned John Craddocks and the guy said they had nothing that would fit, and that I would have to go to Land Rover,even though I thought they wouldn't be interested .

I knew that the wolf chassis was strengthened ,but not how different it is compared to a standard 300tdi chassis. 

So unless someone else reads my waffle ,and stops me ,I'm assuming I could go ahead and purchase the adjustable dixon bate up to 98?

Many thanks in advance to your answers. 

I might be talking rubbish here , but I did contact Dixon bate and they said they didn't have anything to fit the Wolf ( probably don't know what it is ) . However I did go to Craddocks and chap behind counter reckoned the series was the only one that would fit . As I say this is possibly not the case but worth checking before ordering 

Gluv🇬🇧

That plate is behind the cover and its outer face is level with the two outer faces so the nato hitch squeezes the cover to that plate and it’s welded on , also to get to it you need to take the rear tub mounts off , I’ve got the same problem 🤔

Evening gentleman, 

Thanks for your many replies and combined knowledge , 

I will post some photo's and take measurements on the morrow ,or by the weekend .

Bought the fancy conversion lead from 12 pin to 7 pin,I'm sure you guys would have known how to sort that one,but I copped out of that one,price was horrifying. (They said it was the military 12 pin end that was the expensive bit),(im sure not that expensive).

All the best. 

• 11 months later...

This is an old topic, but I can add something. I picked up this hitch adapter with a receiver for a 2" square trailer hitch. This receiver is a standard in the US, trailer hitches of all sorts fit. there are versions that drop the ball up to 12", go straight out or even raise the ball position.  The drop hitch  is helpful with these trucks as the attach point is quite high relative to a commercial trailer. Unfortunately I don't recall where I got it.  I didn't fabricate it myself but it could be easily reproduced.

trailer hitch.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi , just wanted to show how I have done this to my wolf 90 , the receiver hitch came from Safari Equip and included the slide in part and pin , I had to drill two 13mm holes so I could use the jate ring bolt positions rather than the pre drilled ones, B922C9C2-705C-40F1-942B-B0D1E2454F64.thumb.png.6366dcbefba9261fea18d0587b607bad.png

8F8185B5-0B51-4336-82BA-7EA746F974F4.jpeg

C7568FB2-CD4F-441E-B531-00CFBF2D03D7.jpeg