LED replacement interior light bulbs

I've just put a MUD interior LED into my Puma and am pleased with it, but we've got three vehicles and buying another five of them is a bit spendy!

Has anybody got a recent link to any of the LED replacement bulbs to fit into a standard Defender interior light fitting that they could recommend from having bought one recently? I'm not even sure from an Ebay search what the size is - quoted in different places as being 36mm, 38mm, 39mm and 42mm among others! Nakatenanga appear to do a decent looking one (and call it 38mm) but don't post to this part of the world and I don't see them sold in the UK.

Recommendations from direct experience please?

18 minutes ago, BogMonster said:

Nakatenanga appear to do a decent looking one (and call it 38mm) but don't post to this part of the world and I don't see them sold in the UK.

No personal experience but 4x4overlander do sell Nakatenanga stuff in the UK: https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/nakatanenga-defender-led-interior-light/

OK thanks, hadn't found that but it's a whole light and more expensive than Mud, I just want bulbs. Ebay cheapies seem to be "you get what you pay for" as is often the case, so I think unless there's a firm rec, it's a toss up between the Nak ones or perhaps these :

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/239-philips-x-treme-vision-led-12v-38mm-number-plate-interior-festoon-bulb.html

43 minutes ago, BogMonster said:

I wondered if the ones that only radiate light in one direction would spin around in the fitting with road vibration?

I've used the cheap big flat ones with a quoted lumens figure to compare without issue for years, never spun round in any cars.

I had one of these bulbs in my TD5 and it produced really good light. No issues with it rotating but it did need the tangs bending out to fit as pointed out above.  After about 6 months it started flicking and only coming on very dim - may be something to do with the TD5 fading the light power rather than switching straight off which is something not all LED bulbs tolerate very well. I am back with the filament candle at the minute!

I should have known better - it did come in a blue box....

3 hours ago, Landrovernuts said:

I had one of these bulbs in my TD5 and it produced really good light. No issues with it rotating but it did need the tangs bending out to fit as pointed out above.  After about 6 months it started flicking and only coming on very dim - may be something to do with the TD5 fading the light power rather than switching straight off which is something not all LED bulbs tolerate very well. I am back with the filament candle at the minute!

I should have known better - it did come in a blue box....

Interesting, thanks. Hadn't thought of the dim-to-off bit, the Puma is the same. I guess the tangs need bending for the larger ones so 36mm is maybe the right size.

Before fitting the Mud unit, I had a nine LED bulb for around three years. The bulb coped with dimming without any problem. I’m pretty sure that I bought it from Mud before they started selling the complete fitting.

I’ve just had a look on their website and I don’t think they sell them now. I’m fairly sure that I have the old fitting complete with the LED bulb somewhere...  

6 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Classic car LEDs supply LED bulbs which are light years away from ebay carp in terms of quality.

Mo

I got some of their festoon bulbs that were supposed to be compatible with the standard Defender interior lights and even though I've bent the tabs in quite a way (anymore and they're at the wrong angle to hold them) they don't make a decent connection.

Haven't really persisted looking into them. The front one is much more reliable - I've given up on the rear one for the moment but even the front if you slam the doors then the bulb flickers.

45 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I got some of their festoon bulbs that were supposed to be compatible with the standard Defender interior lights and even though I've bent the tabs in quite a way (anymore and they're at the wrong angle to hold them) they don't make a decent connection.

Haven't really persisted looking into them. The front one is much more reliable - I've given up on the rear one for the moment but even the front if you slam the doors then the bulb flickers.

You'd best buy ebay ones then Ed. 👍

Mo

• Sad 1