New Timber Garage doors and Timber front

Sounds interesting.

Make sure the wood is well aged as otherwise you may end up with a funny looking door...

We have found that doors here are just too low....

On 8/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah the new timber is from B&Q and will be trated inside and out 

First mistake 😉

modern softwood is, frankly, carp, as is a lot of the treatment available now its all eco safe. There are lots of suppliers of decent local hardwood if you look around I know a few in North Devon. Get it in, rack it up to air dry for a while then make some doors that will outlast you.

Plan B is Cuprinol 5 star the hell out of it before you start and treat every cut and screw hole again...and again...and every year forever...

Will 🙂

I have the exact same doors on my garage, I lined the inside with OSB to make them stronger, otherwise it was too easy to punch through the wood slats.

Also changed the hinges to ones that you could coach bolt to the inside, so people could not just access with a screw driver to unscrew the hinges from the outside.

On 8/16/2021 at 1:08 PM, Exmoor Beast said:

First mistake 😉

modern softwood is, frankly, carp, as is a lot of the treatment available now its all eco safe. There are lots of suppliers of decent local hardwood if you look around I know a few in North Devon. Get it in, rack it up to air dry for a while then make some doors that will outlast you.

Plan B is Cuprinol 5 star the hell out of it before you start and treat every cut and screw hole again...and again...and every year forever...

Will 🙂

I didnt mention this as I didnt want to appear even more negative realistic than usual.

Agree though. I wouldnt buy any there either. Wickes used to do really good timber, but they should be avoided too.

Accoya is the thing to use nowadays. Not cheap, but worthwhile for a long term thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

I didnt mention this as I didnt want to appear even more negative realistic than usual.

Agree though. I wouldnt buy any there either. Wickes used to do really good timber, but they should be avoided too.

Accoya is the thing to use nowadays. Not cheap, but worthwhile for a long term thing.

Ok i've already got it now so it will have to do 

12 hours ago, Anderzander said:

That was quick !  What did you do the inside of the doors like ? 

We made are own Z frame but as we was using my trailer as a work bench the frame wasn't 100% straight but only noticed it after we made one massif door then cut it in half and hunge them but you only notice it on the inside ☹️