Do you speak Spanish or Catalan?

GBMUD

A few of us are going on a little jaunt in a few months time to the Spanish Pyrenees. Not knowing our way around, I though it might be a good idea to do a little preparation in advance. I have a friend who went in October and discovered a guide book called "En coche por la montana", literally, "by car in the mountains" (he tells me :) ). The website sells this series but in Spanish/Catalan and while I can ID the picture of a shopping cart I have trouble with difficult questions relating to my details and on to payment. I tried Babelfish but it is never very good!

Can anyone help me by translating the relevant pages and telling me what words/numbers go into which boxes? http://www.ocelldepaper.com/ns_comandesdellibres_cas.htm That page does not seem to have any payment details on, is there any explanation in the text about how one might pay? Will they even ship to the UK? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Can anyone help me by translating the relevant pages and telling me what words/numbers go into which boxes? http://www.ocelldepaper.com/ns_comandesdellibres_cas.htm That page does not seem to have any payment details on, is there any explanation in the text about how one might pay? Will they even ship to the UK? Any help is appreciated.

Ok,looks like you have to fill out that form and they will send you price via e-mail.

To fill out form-put the quantity in the box on the left of which book you want

Top right box working down

- first name then surname

telephone number

address and postcode

provice-i would put london

web-not sure what they want there

any comments you might want to add

then hit the enviar key(enter)

hope this helps

Ian

Is there a phone nuymber. I bet if you rang them they would be able to speak english.......

Now if it was a German Website then perhaps......

How about Amazon? Being international they seem to be able to source anything from anywhere

I have not tried Amazon. Waterstones and Stanfords were no help, even with ISBN numbers. Will give Amazon a go, thanks.

Chris

Chris

Try "Bittersweet" over on LRO Forum.

She is fluent and generally helpful.

John

Yep she is fluent in Spanish and is normally helpful!!

There again I might be accused of being biased!! LOL

I don't think she is registered on here but send me full details of the web address etc by PM and I will get her to look at it when she comes in.

I would be interested to get a copy of any info you get about driving in the Prynees.

Apparently there is a guide book i Spanish which shows how to drive the length of the Pyrnees on dirt tracks It gives GPS coordinates and tulip diagrams. Be warned though the Spanish authorities take a dim view of people driving off road. This was told us by a Spanish 110 driver in Norway we met up with last year.

If you want any questions asking on a Spanish LR forum give us a shout and I will get B to post the for you

Regards

Leeds

PS It is good fun volunteering someone else when they are not around, is'nt it??

Do you speak Spanish or Catalan?

Que?

Sorry couldn't resist that :hysterical: coat and hat engaged and moving.... :glare:

I don't speak Catamaran either, though I thought it was some sort of boat :ph34r:

Bog"Doingwondersforglobalintegration"Monster

Yep she is fluent in Spanish and is normally helpful!!

There again I might be accused of being biased!! LOL

I don't think she is registered on here but send me full details of the web address etc by PM and I will get her to look at it when she comes in.

I would be interested to get a copy of any info you get about driving in the Prynees.

Apparently there is a guide book i Spanish which shows how to drive the length of the Pyrnees on dirt tracks It gives GPS coordinates and tulip diagrams. Be warned though the Spanish authorities take a dim view of people driving off road. This was told us by a Spanish 110 driver in Norway we met up with last year.

If you want any questions asking on a Spanish LR forum give us a shout and I will get B to post the for you

Regards

Leeds

PS It is good fun volunteering someone else when they are not around, is'nt it??

Thanks Leeds. I have filled the form on the page listed above and sent the email it generates. I will wait to see what, if anything, comes.

Cheers

Chris

Hello or should I say Hola

Yes I am registered on here, and yes I am fluent in Spanish, and yes I will help.

Just give me a shout with what's required.

The folk on the Spanish Land rover forum are a helpful bunch and to be honest a lot of them will probably speak English if push comes to shove.

If you want to post on there, the best bet is to do it in the forum belonging to the Comunidad where you are intending travelling. I might be best to register, post in Spanish but with a plea for replies in English if possible. If not I will happily translate them for you.

Barbara

Hello or should I say Hola

Yes I am registered on here, and yes I am fluent in Spanish, and yes I will help.

Just give me a shout with what's required.

The folk on the Spanish Land rover forum are a helpful bunch and to be honest a lot of them will probably speak English if push comes to shove.

If you want to post on there, the best bet is to do it in the forum belonging to the Comunidad where you are intending travelling. I might be best to register, post in Spanish but with a plea for replies in English if possible. If not I will happily translate them for you.

Barbara

Thank you Barbara, a very kind offer. :)

Chris

Okay you have the translation sorted so all is well, not everyone in Spain speaks English! It is worth learning a few motoring terms ie tyres, puncture, oil, it is broken etc...

Here are a few reminders to make sure you have trouble free fun; even tho you are 4x4 you need snow chains, and dont forget all the other essentials required for Spain motoring like; 2 triangles, reflective jackets for driver and passengers if they get out of the car during accident or breakdown, first aid kit, fire extinguisher,spare bulbs, all original documents, cuddly toy, etc.... I always have some of those chemical lights sticks as a backup for warning triangles it is very dark without street lights.

Remember you cannot tow another vehicle after an accident or breakdown except to the nearest safe place to park the vehicle.

There is a great book by Toyota called "Guia Toyota 4x4 104 Rutas por Espana" ISBN 84-611-0604-0...... As it says it is 104 routes for 4x4 vehicles all over Spain and is superb with very detailled road book style route directions c/w GPS coordinates. There are 6 route in the Pyrenees,some of which can be 60/ 70 kms off road! with no crash barriers woooooooo.

Also if you are relying on mobile phones for comms remember they dont work on the campo or in the mountains. Close contact walkie talkies are good for inter convoy comms. But at least one vehicle should have a CB.

Each area of Spain has its own rules for 4x4 vehicles which covers; the number of vehicles without authorisation this varies from 3 to unlimited, the speed normally 30kph, the minimum distance between vehicles (50 - 100m), areas of protection with no access unless with permit, minimum width of "road" can be nolimit to 4m!,etc...

Anyway hope this helps as a reminder an have great fun on your trip safe motoring.

Cheers

TD5Spain

Okay you have the translation sorted so all is well, not everyone in Spain speaks English! It is worth learning a few motoring terms ie tyres, puncture, oil, it is broken etc...

Here are a few reminders to make sure you have trouble free fun; even tho you are 4x4 you need snow chains, and don't forget all the other essentials required for Spain motoring like; 2 triangles, reflective jackets for driver and passengers if they get out of the car during accident or breakdown, first aid kit, fire extinguisher,spare bulbs, all original documents, cuddly toy, etc....

The more you get out of 'tourist areas' the less likely the chance of anyone speaking English! I can echo the value of knowing some basic motoring terms - I have had to describe things in terms of the thingy that you press to make it do this or the doobery firkin which works that! I have now learnt all manner of techie words in Spanish that no-one ever taught me even at degree level. I also had occasion once to try and get a new tyre in Germany and had to go and ask for a round black thing!

Snow chains def - we could have done with those over Christmas! The weather forecasts actually specify when snow chains are obligatory on certain roads.

All that aside I would say go for it - I have a fondness for Spain. BUT I would rather have my fingernails pulled out than go to the tourist traps of the Costas, the interior has so much to offer.

Barbara

Hi TD5Spain, I for one who like to have as many details of guide books etc For Spanish/Portugal green lanes/off road .

So can you post up a list of guide books etc (preferably in English but I do have my own personal translator) for different areas of Spain

We had a good time in the Picos and fancy spending some time in the Pyrnees and Portugal so any guidance would be gratefully received

Regards

Leeds

Snow chains def - we could have done with those over Christmas! The weather forecasts actually specify when snow chains are obligatory on certain roads.

Will we need snow chains in May? I don't the areas we're heading to or even the Pyrenees in general, so I've not a clue when and where snow can be expected.

Could cause me some issues...might have to run my standard tyres not the 7.50's - if the stories about RangeMasters on snow and ice have any basis :ph34r:

Nearest I've been is the Picos de Europa where there definitely wasn't any snow (in fact we we glad to get down the nice cool caves during the day), but they're lower, further south (just) and it was later in the year.

I was rather assuming that by May the snow would be gone too. Never been to big mountains before so am I mistaken?

Td5Spain, how would one find out about local regulations regarding numbers of motorcars? I am assuming that all the routes in the En Coche por la Montana guides would be legal. I will see if I can get the Toyota guide book too.

There is a lot of useful information coming out of this thread, thanks guys and gals. :)

Chris

I speak a little bit of Spanish, learning it at the mo, but you seem to have it covered now.

Me too... but mine is limited to "San Miguel" and "Sol" and similar... :D

there is a good book shop, called "la tienda verde"... the green shop, they show lots of maps, i've emailed them a couple of times about buying southern Spain maps, but alas they've never bothered to reply... :angry:

I have emailed too, I will let you know if I get a reply. :)

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

mine is a few more words than that...i can nearly hold a conversation, as long as it involves telling people how old i am, my age and where i live! :D:D (hoestly, i CAN speak a bit more than that!)

I'd heard that all the "tracks" were open to all unless a sign said otherwise? maybe that's just southern Spain?