de-tuning 200Tdi to reduce smoke

monkie

The standard pin was given to me in a Fourby packet so I assume the performance pin was from that packet, but I shall be visiting Stegs supplies when I come back to this. 

What about intercoolers? Can you get away with cheaper front mounted ones off ebay? I don't want to spend many hundreds of pounds on one if I can avoid it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, monkie said:

I did a search for "tdi boost ring" and came across a conversation involving him plus a link to his shop. I will be sure to check it out. I just want my engine to have had a good running in period and for me to get used to what is normal for it (EGT, boost etc) on my gauges before I start playing with it. On the subject of gauges, I fitted a new waxstat 88 degree thermostat. I've noticed that my coolant temp climbs to almost 100 degrees before I notice the start opens and the temperature settles down to around 90 degrees. I even took it out and did the test in a pan of water on my stove. It does seem to open okay starting at about 90 degrees. Is this normal? My 19J would never get to those temps. 

This is exactly what mine does Monkie, OEM waxstat and genuine. I assume it's normal now and I've accepted it as such.

Normal running temp of about 92°C and 94°C with the foot down.

Mo

32 minutes ago, monkie said:

The standard pin was given to me in a Fourby packet so I assume the performance pin was from that packet, but I shall be visiting Stegs supplies when I come back to this. 

What about intercoolers? Can you get away with cheaper front mounted ones off ebay? I don't want to spend many hundreds of pounds on one if I can avoid it. 

What kind have you got at the moment? The normal TDI one to the side? I've seen a few of the front mount types come on on Facebook in the last ~6 months or so if you're not in a rush.

3 hours ago, western said:

Temp sounds Ok to me, don't forget its a pressurised system so 100 degree is not the boiling point, thats higher in a pressurised system.

I disagree Ralph (about it being normal)

I think Monkie and Mo have faulty stats..... You can see mine crack open at about about 92 and it sits at 89 even with my foot down. They seem a lottery one will be fine and last ten years another will be bad out of the packet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

I disagree Ralph (about it being normal)

I think Monkie and Mo have faulty stats..... You can see mine crack open at about about 92 and it sits at 89 even with my foot down. They seem a lottery one will be fine and last ten years another will be bad out of the packet.

Luckily I'm a bit of a hoarder (must be a Land rover thing) and I kept the old one from when I stripped the engine down. I'm going to refit it and see what happens. It does make me a tad anxious as the needle keeps on going towards 100 until it drops back! 

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

What kind have you got at the moment? The normal TDI one to the side? I've seen a few of the front mount types come on on Facebook in the last ~6 months or so if you're not in a rush.

Yes a standard 200tdi one that is looking its age. 

16 hours ago, monkie said:

I bought a cheap ebay intercooler for the Disco, about three years ago. It was cheap as well. Issues so far have only been in fitting - it was slightly bigger on all dimesnsions from a standard intercooler, which was an absolute pita. The other issue was no swadges - easily sorted. It has a 30% plus capacity on the origional (which I didn't really need), what was a big improvement, was that the inlet and outlet pipes are much thinner material (2mm), thus allowing a much better flow over standard. Corrosion has been non existant - despite the big miles I do.  If this one fails, I'll go down the same route - at £65 quid a pop and having modified the radiator surround...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress on changing thermostats and monitoring running temperatures, @monkie ?

@reb78, the last 3 thermostats would have been duff then to exactly the same degree. I did have one properly duff OEM Waxstat one that kept the running temperature nicely at about 100°C though, that didn't stay in for long 😉

Mo

@Mo Murphy I've been away from home quite a bit with work so not had the chance, but it is on the list for the weekend as I'm also going to replace the rubbish clips on the hoses with some constant tension ones that have deen delivered.

I looked out the old stat that I recovered from the engine on the strip down. It is a weird one as from start up the temp raises right up to 100'C then drops to 90 as the stat opens up and sits around 90 depending on hills. 

Normally, only the soot at maximum revs is measured for diesels. Is this also the case with the MOT?
My recommendation is to leave everything as it is and only turn out the screw for the main quantity. 45° will work. This reduces the delivery quantity in all areas.

Sorry for not reading the entire thread.

Edited by Sigi_H

As I understand the MOT tests pre-2008 diesel vehicles for smoke density. 

I put my 200tdi back to as near factory settings as I could not only for the MOT but also to run in and get used to my 200Tdi before I choose to make any adjustments of my own at a later date. 

2 minutes ago, Maverik said:

FYI - I just put my 90 through its MOT with the VNT turbo and a boost pin off ebay.

I assume it passed okay?  

The thing is though my EGTs were hitting 800'C plus and the smoke was stupid. I now have a clean burn and EGT of around 600 when driving up a steep, long hill

10 hours ago, monkie said:

I assume it passed okay?  

The thing is though my EGTs were hitting 800'C plus and the smoke was stupid. I now have a clean burn and EGT of around 600 when driving up a steep, long hill

Yeah it passed OK, some test came out at aggregate of 1.85 ppm I think,  pass rate was 3.00. I looked at my past record and that was actually the highest its passed on for a while. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maverik said:

FYI - I just put my 90 through its MOT with the VNT turbo and a boost pin off ebay.

Right. My 200Tdi also passed the exhaust gas maintenance in CH without detuning. It is important to leave the stop ring for the boost pin in place. This keeps the soot at max. boost pressure down and doesn't lift max. power too much. For me, this is an absolute sign, that they only measure soot at max rev.

On the other hand you can easiliy control soot with your right foot when driving. Just with a look into the mirror. If exhaust gas is black or EGT is high, just lift your right leg a bit.

@monkie What did you do to lower EGT?

Edited by Sigi_H

28 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

Right. My 200Tdi also passed the exhaust gas maintenance in CH without detuning. It is important to leave the stop ring for the boost pin in place. This keeps the soot at max. boost pressure down and doesn't lift max. power too much. For me, this is an absolute sign, that they only measure soot at max rev.

On the other hand you can easiliy control soot with your right foot when driving. Just with a look into the mirror. If exhaust gas is black or EGT is high, just lift your right leg a bit.

I removed the performance boost pin and refitted the original using the witness marks as a guide on what position to fit the pin. I left the boost at 1 bar. I want to fit a bigger intercooler. 

I get what you are saying about driving style but before I de-tuned it it smoked as soon as my right foot touched the pedal. 

I only turned the main delivery screw ca. 60° in and left every thing else original. My EGT is strictly 720° at steep motorway climbs. It passed exhaust gas maintenance in this way. I did it, because I expected trouble at the control and just turn back one screw is easy.

It has enough power to surprise TD4 drivers 😁

Max power seems not to be extended, but why should be? I guess the boost ring is responsible for that. As long as there isn't more smoke in max. power I am satisfied.

5 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

After I had my 2.5" ss exhaust installed this really helped limit the max egt, I have to really push to get it up to 700. Its got 3 boxes as per original exhaust, when it was built I asked for it to be as free flowing as possible but to try keep the noise down too.

21 minutes ago, Maverik said:

After I had my 2.5" ss exhaust installed this really helped limit the max egt, I have to really push to get it up to 700. Its got 3 boxes as per original exhaust, when it was built I asked for it to be as free flowing as possible but to try keep the noise down too.

Very good. Thats what I did. I put a TD5 exhaust in my Tdi. It has 30% more cross-sectional area. Made a lot better torque in low revs. https://www-explorermagazin-de.translate.goog/bauberi/defaus21.htm?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de

30 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

I have to try really really hard to get the EGT up to 720°C now.

I can certainly help you there 😁  It is said, that lower inlet temps by 10° will lower EGT by 50°

I made my own downpipe from a flexible tube

Edited by Sigi_H