Heated Rear Glass

My 90 has a heated rear light with the circuit to run the high level brake light.

The brake light has been run by a separate wire for ages, and the window now has hardly any heated elements working too.

So I can replace it …

Or perhaps a standard heated window and fit an LED brake light of some description…

Or try to find the many damaged parts of the element and overpaint them with some of that copper/silver paint…

Any recommendations or suggestions ? 

replacement part for reference :

https://www.bearmach.com/product/tailgate-glass-boglgltg/rear-tailgate-glass-cqb000270/CQB000270

• Anderzander changed the title to Heated Rear Glass

Have a look on ebay first.  I bought my pre td5 heated glass and high-level brake light from SP4x4 off ebay as it was cheaper than off their website, even before adding carriage to their website price. The same is true for their door window glass channel kits. Not sure why their website is more expensive than ebay?

• Thanks 1

On my Puma whoever designed the circuit on the glass routed it under the rear brake light plastic cover so the cover itself actually cut through the circuit and stopped the light and top element section working. The circuit was redesigned midway through the Puma production to prevent this, I have a replacement glass from SP which from memory was a copy of the later circuit revision (still wrapped up awaiting me doing anything with it!)

2 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

On my Puma whoever designed the circuit on the glass routed it under the rear brake light plastic cover so the cover itself actually cut through the circuit and stopped the light and top element section working. The circuit was redesigned midway through the Puma production to prevent this, I have a replacement glass from SP which from memory was a copy of the later circuit revision (still wrapped up awaiting me doing anything with it!)

The cover has done that on mine too. I have heard of people putting a felt tape under it to stop it happening. I didn’t know about the circuit revision though, which sounds great.

Mine is a 2001 - but a 2002 model year, must have been a very early one. And it doesn’t look like SP offer the glass for that model… 🤔

I need a replacement rear windscreen. I've tried silver and copper paint - no joy. It's old and knackered. The nice people from Autoglass are coming to replace it for me, and the nice people at NFU are paying for most of it. It'll be a D2 version, so I've bought a nice LED hi-level brakelight to fit 

8 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

The same was true of my wife’s then three year old Puma when we bought it, needing a new rear screen under warranty.  It’s a terrible design that requires frequent replacements or a mod.

I have one, in a new later rear door and I am happy that I think I can be seen - better 🤭 One of the studs on the glass was loose and I had to re-bond it. I bought the lamp and the adapter thing to change the mounting angle, from the JLR Classic parts website, as their prices were as good as anywhere.

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

The same was true of my wife’s then three year old Puma when we bought it, needing a new rear screen under warranty.  It’s a terrible design that requires frequent replacements or a mod.

First photo shows the original, the second is the revised version which has the tracks re-routed and can be distinguished by the heater element skirting around the light position.

0421F19C-5817-4894-BF0B-B7006331F7CF.thumb.png.5106d64afdfdd421020b3e2b68337f17.png

BF28B782-9903-4F6F-8A9C-86C9BADADF05.thumb.png.0b5acb3a2c15aff67e45690587d751bb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1