Range Rover Defender Hybrid IVA ?

Please can you advise on the following.

Regarding a recently purchased 1970's Range Rover / Defender 90 Hybrid.

Other than the original modified chassis, shortened to 93" and a defender rear crossmember, the rest of the mechanicals are std Range Rover, Defender, V8 engine, manual gearbox etc with an early 90 bulkhead and body panels.

After reading forums about such hybrids. I am now concerned about the legality of my vehicle.

The previous owner used the vehicle in its current hybrid form on the road with mot's for over fifteen years, beyond this I have no history.

So my three questions are:

If my hybrid was built pre the introduction of the IVA (circa 1997 iirc) is it exempt from IVA regulations?

If my hybrid was built prior to the IVA and is exempt how can I or the DVLA prove or disprove when it was converted into a hybrid?

If neither of the above are relevant how practical is it to make my hybrid legal?

People say not to concern myself as no one will ever know but there are so many fools on the road these days I prefer knowing my vehicle is legal.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, LiftedDisco said:

@Hybrid_From_Hell - please could you do whatever is needed to allow me access to the IVA section?  I’m currently (albeit slowly) building a Tornado which I’m intending putting through IVA to create a road legal vehicle and could do with any info, hints and assistance that might be to hand?

Have you read my ibex build? I built mine to go through M1 IVA (car not commercial). Feel free to pm me if you have questions. @TSD is also building an ibex to go through IVA. To be honest I just built mine with the IVA manual in one hand.

Mike

My write up, it was the SVA versus the IVA now, but in terms of testing and paperwork, I doubt it is much different. The car vs commercial bit is important, as the Commercial test regulations are about 10 pages, whereas the car test is several hundred of pages:

Ps. we want a build thread for your Tornado project!

Daan

So.. Just add a Defender 90 Chassis and we have no Hybrid issue any more?

I don't understand why using a RRC chassis wich is shortend to about the same length of a standard 90 chassis. But well, it is done anyway.

In the Netherlands there is the 1/3-2/3 rule: 1/3 can be changed when 2/3 stays original. Main parts are chassis (1/3), Driveline (1/3) and Body (1/3).

So in this case RRC chassis (1/3) + axles / drive line (1/3) makes 2/3 original. Body of Defender is in this case the 1/3 "non original" part.

1 hour ago, Carloz said:

So.. Just add a Defender 90 Chassis and we have no Hybrid issue any more?

I don't understand why using a RRC chassis wich is shortend to about the same length of a standard 90 chassis. But well, it is done anyway.

In the Netherlands there is the 1/3-2/3 rule: 1/3 can be changed when 2/3 stays original. Main parts are chassis (1/3), Driveline (1/3) and Body (1/3).

So in this case RRC chassis (1/3) + axles / drive line (1/3) makes 2/3 original. Body of Defender is in this case the 1/3 "non original" part.

It was simply down to the fact that RRC’s body tended to rust heavily whilst the chassis stayed intact. Defender bulkhead and body parts, at the time, we’re easy to source so hence lots of range rover classic/Defender bodied hybrids.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, Carloz said:

In the UK if the chassis is modified it's IVA time, regardless of anything else. You'll find plenty of discussion on here about exactly what constitutes a modified chassis and triggers this - not helped by the fact that there doesn't appear to be any consistency among the authorities responsible for this. I'm not going to venture an opinion on where that line lies, but a shortened chassis like @Hybrid 90's would definitely be modified.

As he's already worked out in the original post, it'll come down to whether there vehicle was built before the rule came in, and whether he can prove it was.

• Like 1