LT85 - LT95 : Same flywheelhousing / same length ?

Arjan

I am awaiting a Mazda 3500 SLTi with a LT85 gearbox to go into a 110 chassis.

However, i've been offered another Mazda (you can't have too many...) with a LT95.

And somebody else offered me a loose LT85....

Question 1 : do the LT85 and the LT95 have the same bolt pattern for the flywheelhousing ? (the Mazda has a different flywheelhousing for the various gearboxes)

Question 2 : are these 2 boxes (LT85 with an LT230) the same length ? (or do I need to change the gearbox ones ?)

Many, many thanks.

27 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Nice one Arjan!

Hope so.....

I really, really would like to mate a LT85 to that Mazda - the LT 95 was not on my list.. But, as you know, flywheel housings for them are more than rare...

It is going to be a complicated NL trip..

19 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Hope so.....

I really, really would like to mate a LT85 to that Mazda - the LT 95 was not on my list.. But, as you know, flywheel housings for them are more than rare...

It is going to be a complicated NL trip..

You allready got the adapterplate?  So can't be that hard to make fit.   

The Mazda I hope to collect in 2 weeks time is a Mazda with a LT95 attached to it.

However, I'd rather have a LT85 and I found one.

Thus my question about the bolt pattern..

Some early 110s had the LT95 in them, the 101 version of the LT95 has a shorter bell housing.

AFAIK all V8 boxes have the same pattern. 

I would stick with the LT85 as the wider range of gears and available transfer box ratios will allow you to tweak the gearing to suit far more easily, the LT77 doesn't suffer too well with the Mazdas either.

Assuming the Mazda SL35Ti is one that has been put together for fitting in Land Rovers then the bolt pattern will match any V8 pattern gearbox (LT85, LT95, LT77 or R380).

Regardless of gearbox type the bellhousing will still need a modification to go around the starter motor.

Well, this is the donor of the 1st Mazda :

afbeelding.thumb.png.48c867f869d67a35240f1e1feb7375f7.png

This 110 with a Mazda 3500 Slti was driving around with an LT95 before they started on getting it out - my guess is that the flywheel / bell housing bolt pattern is V8

Of the LT85 I am also collecting is unknown the flywheel / bell housing bolt pattern is unknown as I do not know what engine that was originally mated to. However, I eventually will get another Mazda from that source and the seller claims that it should fit that LT85.

So I will have to be patient....

On 4/4/2022 at 10:17 PM, smallfry said:

AFAIK the LT85 and 95 were only fitted to the V8 engine, so the bolt pattern will be the same.

I cannot remember about the overall length though.

i cannot speak for UK vehicles but both the LT95 and LT85 was also fitted to the LR Australia 3.9 Izusu diesels fitted to the Series 3 Stage 1 and the 110s.  Behind the 3.9 diesel the LT 85 was marginal but it did work OK just needed a bit of sympathy and required rebuilds a little more often.

Thanks Gary !

Reading all the replies I guess there is a fair chance the bolt patterns are the same.

Now, all I have to do is be patient and wait another 2 weeks and try.

Arjan, just considering your location, bear in mind that Santana used the LT85 in their own 6 cylinder 3500DL models. Therefore there is always a chance that you might come across one of those.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 3:54 PM, landroversforever said:

The LT95 I'm only aware of being fitted to the early 3dr RRC and the 101 - both V8.

Also the Stage 1s and derivatives (such as my Sandringham 6).

@Arjan if it's any help I have an LT95 mated up to an SL35Ti in the Sandringham if you want some measurements etc., I've got a spare unused LT95 genuine bell housing as well on the shelf.