Winch - make unknown

Jim Mason

That would be hard to identify, with no markings left and painted over...

But most of winches are all basically the same, especially the cheaper ones are hard to tell apart: a 3 stage planetary gear, a shaft with a brake inside the drum and a series wound electric motor. So any manual will give you some information to refurbish it.

The freespool lever is the type used by Tmax, but also by Warrior etc.

As said, wiring is the same for pretty much all winch motors, so it really doesn't matter what brand it is. Unless you need spare parts...

Have you tried running it yet?

It's most likely one of the generic chinese copies of the TMax - the easiest way to tell is to take it apart. The Tmax brake design wasn't simple and Chinese makes/copies, like GEW, AEW, etcoften reverted to the cheaper warn copy.

It may be an early T max - the EW range was yellow, and it doesn't use the normal splined motor. But there was no EW 12500.  The free spool is common on Warn, Magnum, GEW, AEW, Superwinch and a host of others (very similar to the T max EW, but that has an improved mount as this type of freespool is a bit carp at letting water in.

James, I probably have a set of tie bars for it - your if you want them. I may have some other bits. 

Strip it down and send me the pictures and I'll talk you through the re-build

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jim Mason said:

Removed and left soaking in diesel to try and remove grease.

Tried to move motor - used ground and tapped positive to top red or yellow - went to move but stopped

Did i need connection to top black?

Yes, you need a third jumper to test the motor, from top red to either yellow or black and an additional 12V to the other one (+ earth on the bottom of course). Switching yellow and black around will change the direction the motor is running, those power the field windings.

15 hours ago, Jim Mason said:

Removed and left soaking in diesel to try and remove grease.

Tried to move motor - used ground and tapped positive to top red or yellow - went to move but stopped

Did i need connection to top black?

20220425_172849.jpg

Paraffin and diesel, paraffin and petrol or Jizer are all better than straight diesel. Use an old stiff brush to work the liquid into the teath. It needs to be super clean.

Does the free spool lever work?

Winch electrics (as Escape mentioned) need a live, earth and switched feed live. The earth is underneath the motor, on it's little ownsome. Live feed is the pole at the point of the triangle (red), the switched feed, directional poles are the two side by side at the base of the triangle (yellow and black)

On 4/26/2022 at 6:28 AM, Escape said:

Yes, you need a third jumper to test the motor, from top red to either yellow or black and an additional 12V to the other one (+ earth on the bottom of course). Switching yellow and black around will change the direction the motor is running, those power the field windings.

Perfect thank you