Prop Shaft Nut & Bolt Kit

Does anyone have a recommended set of the full nuts and bolts for the propshafts on a Defender?

I won't fit Britpart for obvious reasons but I have to say the Bearmach kit was disappointing - they wouldn't take the full torque specified in the book and stripped out. Worse, when removing them for the gearbox removal, I noticed one of the nuts had fully split/cracked.

This is too safety critical to mess about with but I stopped speccing the Genuine stuff when I reached £50 for the nuts on their own. Does anyone have a better solution they're happy with?

If you have the specs is it worth going to someone who just does nuts and bolts? I've had some success in the past but I don't know if anyone still does that or if it's a product of a bygone age...

I tried the ones that came in a blue box and then threw them away after they wouldn't take the torque. Go to a local fixings supplier and they will sort you out. I'm very lucky in Yeovil to have Wentins fasteners. Don't know how far from Yeovil you are or if you pass by, but if so check them out. Fantastic shop with extremely helpful staff. 

41 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Well that's fairly conclusive then, I know of a very good fastner supplier locally that I can take an example nut and bolt to and ask for the same (but better).

Thanks very much for the assistance, All.

Just a prewarning that if they’re anything like my local one, they’ll have a silly MOQ :( 

It seems that I'm lucky in that my local nut n' bolt supplier sells ordinary industrial items by weight, so a handful of 4mm bits, the smallest they stock, may cost the same as a single m12 bolt.  No MOQ.  Stainless, or special orders, are another thing.

Mike

On 6/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, landroversforever said:

Just a prewarning that if they’re anything like my local one, they’ll have a silly MOQ :( 

13 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

It seems that I'm lucky in that my local nut n' bolt supplier sells ordinary industrial items by weight, so a handful of 4mm bits, the smallest they stock, may cost the same as a single m12 bolt.  No MOQ.  Stainless, or special orders, are another thing.

Mike

Just to explain my one.... the'll sell you a single of most stuff. But as they don't sell much of some imperial stuff that stuff ends up with a MOQ, usually whatever totals a full box.

I worry that's the same brand of Chinesium that the other kits are made of. I'll be going to a fixings supplier as suggested, it's just easier.

Can anyone confirm the actual torque figures for these, I have found wildly varying figures.