Question about brakes

landrover598

My landy has a rangy front axle and twin brake pipes, I'm about to replace the flexi pipes and route longer ones allong the radius arms ( in preperation for suspension changes)

It would be a bit easier / neater to run a single pipe down each arm, so can i get rid of one of the two pipes ? Is there any advantage to the twin pipe setup ?

Anyone got any comments ? :unsure:

The two seperate feeds provide redundancy in the front braking system. If you suffer a pipe fracture you still retain working front brakes.

jw

In theory yes

In practice NO.

Unfortunately I don't think you can do that easily.

If you'd like a better system [in my opinoin] swap to Defender callipers and master cylinder.

mike FOAK

Knockers

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

Only using one pair of pistons will half the braking effort so front/rear balance will be affected.

It's quite common for Mini owners to fit 4-pot calipers from a Metro to their cars using a T-piece as mentioned above.

You will need a T-piece because the two pots are completely independant of one another.

they do provide redunacy to an extent. on the original fitting there is a front circut & a whole car circut. one side of each front caliper will work if the whole of car circut goes - for a while till you loose more fluid.

just T them together into one line, it'll be fine.

im told some disco/RR owners upgrade to 110 calipers as they & the pads are larger giving you more powerful brakes.

they do provide redunacy to an extent. on the original fitting there is a front circut & a whole car circut. one side of each front caliper will work if the whole of car circut goes - for a while till you loose more fluid.

just T them together into one line, it'll be fine.

im told some disco/RR owners upgrade to 110 calipers as they & the pads are larger giving you more powerful brakes.

If one circuit leaks, the design of the master cylinder stops the other circuit losing fluid.

Defenders [including all 90/110] have a I/I split system = front/rear on seperate circuits, the front calipers have a through drilled fluid way to both sets of pistons.

RR & Discovery 1 [my also apply to D2] have a I/H split = front only & front/rear at reduced braking power if the front I circuit fails, hence 2 lines into front calipers to seperate pistons

• 2 months later...

Well i finally got a free, dry day to do this modification. I've replaced the two short hoses going to each caliper with one long one run allong the hockey stick, then into a Tee piece and two short bits of copper pipe

Before

post-7-1175273311_thumb.jpg

Now

post-7-1175273344_thumb.jpg

post-7-1175273365_thumb.jpg

post-7-1175273372_thumb.jpg

post-7-1175273378_thumb.jpg

Now i can start work on the front suspension without having to worry about the hoses going tight :D

nice work Dave, pipe might be a bit exposed though dont you think to sticks/branches etc, but then no more exposed than what was there before i guess.

you will have the same braking force running two pipes to the calipers as the calipers are not fed of separate supplies/chambers, so for any foot pressure the same amount of fluid is still displaced