200tdi lifting eye

I am in the process of doing an engine rebuild on a disco 200tdi, I'm quite deep into the rebuild - most of the engine is assembled. I have run into a problem, the rear lifting eye sits under the head bolts and unfortunately I missed the bloody bracket while installing the head.

Is it advisable to take two bolts off to install the lifting eye? 

I'm hoping I won't have to take the head off anytime soon 🤭

My ocd makes me want to put the bracket in but I don't want to risk having a gasket leak! 

Not sure if the defender 200tdi share the same bracket, if not it could be a solution, the engine is going into a nintey anyway.

I've just had my 200 out, there is another lifting eye right at the back of the head, close to the bulkhead, I never actually used the one that's held by the head bolts to loft mine out, try and get a straight lift with a beam or something though or you'll find they bend quite easily and end up alarmingly close to your rocker cover

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just read your reply, too late I'm afraid! I took them off and fitted the eye back then.

I have not installed the engine yet, but have started it and run it for a couple of minutes on the floor, all looks good...I guess only time will tell if it was a good decision or not!