7Inch LED sealed headlight units - User experiences wanted.

Maverik

It’s all the extra markings, which denote lamp type, dip etc. - the E circle thing alone is not enough. The TruckLites have it all present and correct too.

The DOT is also a giveaway - that’s a US standard and is not generally compatible with ours or European ones.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

I’m afraid it looks like the “E marking” on those is almost certainly fake and therefore not road legal.

This is what a proper E mark looks like, at the top of this JW Speaker unit:

6D17D0AE-D462-481C-A26E-48BF6A8CE239.jpeg.6fa5c3814e66f137c8365d8e5f99fb3d.jpeg

ok point taken - but speculation of no real sound base (but I know it could be likely) having said that Truck-lite looks similar. - again lets not go down a rabbit warren of the legalities of these headlights.

image.thumb.png.1f08f59ec90f087aa4a27a9f6b44fde7.png

image.png.61e1482662695419c866b273354bc6a9.png

18 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

I’m afraid it looks like the “E marking” on those is almost certainly fake and therefore not road legal.

This is what a proper E mark looks like, at the top of this JW Speaker unit:

Letter of conformity supplied by the seller.

image.png.80b16cd5207776e8897fed53e4ecb5db.pngimage.png.6bd46e6147fd04e43bbeda0c61d1f83b.png

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 1:40 PM, Maverik said:

You don't sound awfully inspired by your Truck-lites?

I am a bit OCD about light colours. The closer to candle colour end of the spectrum for me the more i like them (so 3000k ish colours or lower). The Trucklites are more like 6000k and it made me like them less (its stupid). The dark spot took a bit of getting used to and like i say, on certain road surface colours, the light colour itself just plays tricks with the eye.

Having said that, they are good. Light output is nice. Full beam cut off is very much like the xenons i had on a BMW - so they make a nice light tunnel really. Plug and play. Fairly flat beam (that the MOT station struggled a little to align) with not much of a kick up. Really little need for deflectors when driving in France (although i did try). I think they just took a bit of getting used to. I think I paid sub £400 when Nakatenenga had a deal on in 2015 perhaps. I wouldnt say they were worth the £600 i saw them for on the Masai site recently though vs say relayed crystal wipacs...? I dont think any lights are worth that kind of money though to be honest.

• Like 1

I've been running Trucklite LEDs in the classic since 2015, bought for £250

I'd sort of echo what Reb has said however I've been very happy with mine, I still think they're a lot better than many modern vehicle lights I've had in hire cars and in my own vehicles. They're 1000x better than the VW Transporter or Sprinter lights for instance.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, task said:

I've been running Trucklite LEDs in the classic since 2015, bought for £250

I'd sort of echo what Reb has said however I've been very happy with mine, I still think they're a lot better than many modern vehicle lights I've had in hire cars and in my own vehicles. They're 1000x better than the VW Transporter or Sprinter lights for instance.

Thats right - they were £249 Euro or something like that for the pair. It was a very good price back then for legal LED lights. It was through this thread on defender 2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic37882.html that I got mine. At around £100 more than the relay kit and crystal lights it was worth it at the time.

• Like 2

I've got trucklites as well. Very happy with them for the price I paid, I think I got them for £200. Local place had got a couple of pairs to trial and they let me have them at pretty much cost. I've swapped them from my 90 into the 110 as I didn't want to let them go when I sold it. I wouldn't stump up £500+ a pair though.

• Like 2

quick update - I installed the lamps the other day, initially a little bit tricky to align as they are of the flat beam type, but i seem to have got them in the realms of sensibility - I will take to a garage to get there feedback at some point too.

I used them for the first time in the dark last night and I've been pleasantly surprised with the general performance, great low beam and really nice high beam spread.

The only real comparison point was that I was struggling to see the originally installed lamp pattern when passing other traffic, I found my lights where being totally overwhelmed to the point you had an instant as cars passed where you couldn't clearly see the road verge/edge.

So with the new LED lamps I found they where much clearer when passing other cars and the previous blotting wasn't happening. The beam pattern cut off is pretty clean and all in all I think they perform pretty well - I also wasn't flashed by oncoming traffic in any instance (which would suggest oncoming traffic didn't feel blinded).

One slight annoyance is that after 2 minutes of having them on, there's already condensation on the inside of the lamp.

20230314_175320.jpg

• Like 2