7Inch LED sealed headlight units - User experiences wanted.

Maverik

Hi folks,

So I'm going to buy some LED headlamps, I've got a short list. 

I've been through a reasonable number of topics on here and other forums, going into to various rabbit holes etc so I appreciate this topic has been done to death shortly behind tyre choice etc but... I think there is scope for one more topic on the subject as follows.

There must be a good number of LED headlight users on here now so I'd like to draw on your direct experience.

If you've got 7 inch bowl type sealed LED headlights on your Land Rover, I'd ask you to share some basic info:

• What are they (name/brand/picture if they're generic Chinese ones - as there are many different lens configurations)
  • Price paid
  • Time you've had them installed
  • User Pro's/Con's/general user comments

Thanks you all and looking forward to some responses.

Mav

• Like 1

I have had the WIPAC ones fitted for two years now. Pricey at £450 (I think) but I wanted to know the E markings were genuine and I was legal. They are absolutely excellent both on dipped and main beam. The light is not too white in my opinion and really makes driving at night in the Defender much more comparable to my L322. I drove my old mans 110 the other day with the WIPAC polycarbonate type with H4 bulbs and the difference was huge

I don't regret buying them at all and I like the look of them and like the outside DRL. I know this is personal taste but then I also have the white letters on the outside of my tyres!! 🙂

https://www.wipac-led.com/find-out-more

DSC_2181.thumb.JPG.c9e00d9991f9dcc20d5538396373d4c7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Simon Smith said:

I have the Britpart ones, can't remember the price but they are excellent and I would recommend them to anyone. Dip beam has an excellent cutoff and nobody ever feels the need to flash me, but I can still see clearly. 

Forgot to mention this, same with the ones I have

2 hours ago, Simon Smith said:

I have the Britpart ones, can't remember the price but they are excellent and I would recommend them to anyone. Dip beam has an excellent cutoff and nobody ever feels the need to flash me, but I can still see clearly. 

is that the "Lynx" ones? as pictured?

image.png.ee26783f597563f96e1e97e0f8044cd7.png

Any issues driving in the recent snow?  I read a while back that as they run cool, they pick up snow like the body panels, where incandescent lights are warm enough to shed it.  I don’t know whether that is a problem that really only afflicts Arctic vehicles rather than just about anyone driving in mild sub-zero temperatures.

14 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Any issues driving in the recent snow?  I read a while back that as they run cool, they pick up snow like the body panels, where incandescent lights are warm enough to shed it.  I don’t know whether that is a problem that really only afflicts Arctic vehicles rather than just about anyone driving in mild sub-zero temperatures.

I did consider this problem when I bought them as the considerably more expensive Trucklite ones could be bought with an element in the lens to help with this. I wasn't out in the Defender when it snowed this time but was when we had the 'beast from the east'. I did experience a bit of a build up at one point and got out to clear them as it had started to be noticeable. Have driven in snow again but less severe and not had an issue. Given we have snow maybe twice a year down here in Suffolk I decided this really wasn't a problem worth considering for me

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I had this with my Trucklite LEDs. In the beast from the east I had to stop every 20 mins or so when driving in the red zone heavy snow to wipe the lights. It wasnt too bad tbh and hardly common. Some now have elements in tbe lens to heat to avoid this. 

My Trucklites are not bad. Good light output. Cheaper end of the legal lights available. My only real criticisms are light colour - in some lights (dusk mainly), the light colour makes me think they aren't on but I can see fine. Its a weird thing to explain. The other criticism is there is a 8ft (ish) darker patch in front of the vehicle - its annoying initially as the lights shine beyond it but you dont look there when driving so its irrelevant! I think its the reflector setup and the height of mounting of the units. 

• Like 1

Interesting replies.  Given that I have bought a 175A alternator from a forum member (I had planned a 100A unit, but this was an opportunity that suited both of us), I think I’ll just stick with the halogens until heated LEDs are sensibly priced.  I think I’ll still go for the Wipac kit for all the other lamps, at some point and fit H3 LEDs to the auxiliary lights.  I have a suspicion that significant weather events may become more frequent - they appear to be trending that way.  I don’t fancy having to get out of the car in such conditions to clean lenses; it’s not just the inconvenience and getting cold, but the risk of being hit by another car when stopping and standing in the road when visibility is poor and the surface potentially slippery.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Interesting replies.  Given that I have bought a 175A alternator from a forum member (I had planned a 100A unit, but this was an opportunity that suited both of us), I think I’ll just stick with the halogens until heated LEDs are sensibly priced.  I think I’ll still go for the Wipac kit for all the other lamps, at some point and fit H3 LEDs to the auxiliary lights.  I have a suspicion that significant weather events may become more frequent - they appear to be trending that way.  I don’t fancy having to get out of the car in such conditions to clean lenses; it’s not just the inconvenience and getting cold, but the risk of being hit by another car when stopping and standing in the road when visibility is poor and the surface potentially slippery.

Headlight wipers?

This problem must be an issue for all cars to be honest and not just these. We have factory fit LED headlights on the Panamera but not driven it in the snow. Admittedly they rake backwards substantially so suspect the build up of snow would not be as bad as the flat fronted Defender headlights?

pan.thumb.jpg.3fe11c6471e59995b87a4047891d11ca.jpg

Fair point.  And wipers would be a solution.  They were an early option on Swiss Series, RRCs and Defenders I think.  Still, I’m looking for reliability, simplicity and good light projection, and those older wipers blocked the lenses a bit, so it seems of little benefit.

An interested thing in aerodynamics and icing is that ice accretion is far worse on thin or sharp forms rather than blunt.  I see it at work - the blade antennas , small probes and gear doors (when open) build up ice very quickly but the nose and other airframe blunt sections much less.  I wonder if the raked lenses on sports cars benefit from the airflow sweeping snow off or whether they get the same effect as the thinner section protrusions.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Snagger said:

An interested thing in aerodynamics and icing is that ice accretion is far worse on thin or sharp forms rather than blunt.  I see it at work - the blade antennas , small probes and gear doors (when open) build up ice very quickly but the nose and other airframe blunt sections much less.  I wonder if the raked lenses on sports cars benefit from the airflow sweeping snow off or whether they get the same effect as the thinner section protrusions.

Interesting. I did not know that!

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

but the risk of being hit by another car when stopping and standing in the road when visibility is poor and the surface potentially slippery.

Haha. In the situation I was talking about there was zero risk of getting hit by another car as I was the only car moving. The A30 north of Dartmoor was supposedly shut - you could barely tell it was a road when I was on it, let alone a dual carriageway!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

Headlight wipers?

This problem must be an issue for all cars to be honest and not just these. We have factory fit LED headlights on the Panamera but not driven it in the snow. Admittedly they rake backwards substantially so suspect the build up of snow would not be as bad as the flat fronted Defender headlights?

pan.thumb.jpg.3fe11c6471e59995b87a4047891d11ca.jpg

All the sensors and such on my GLE iced up last Sweden trip, but the headlights remained fine. BIggest issue was the coating of road salt, that made a huge difference when wiping off.

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

Interesting. I did not know that!

I once did a trip to Vesteraas (old Draaken and Viggen base north of Stockholm) in severe icing.  The nose and wings were clean, but antennas, tail and gear doors had 8” build up that in cross section looks like a trumpet with the muffler in the end.  Quite horrifying, really.

Some good feedback, keep it coming.

I made a purchase, its a set of the Lynx type - although not the Britpart ones - I found an alternative supplier on ebay, that look like they're identical bar the "Britpart" marking at the 6 o clock position on the lens - £150 inc postage. - LYNX LED DRL Headlights x2 for Land Rover Defender 7 Inch DOT E9 MARKED 7802C | eBay

I find this highly ironic that I could be buying a knock off of a Britpart component.

If they're pish they're pish. 

I'm lucky enough to have my 4 roof rack auxiliary Halogens as a back-up - in the snow, even they build up snow but the heat just about keeps them clear.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Haha. In the situation I was talking about there was zero risk of getting hit by another car as I was the only car moving. The A30 north of Dartmoor was supposedly shut - you could barely tell it was a road when I was on it, let alone a dual carriageway!

Just a word to the wise (and becuase this is one of 'my' roads). If you drive through a 'Road Closed' sign, where the road is closed due to adverse weather conditions, such as snow or floods, your insurance is invalid. The same goes where a road is closed, with no access for anyone (Hard Closure). If the road is closed but allows for access (Soft Closure) and you have reason for access, then your insurance is valid. And under the ROad Traffic Act 1980, you have comitted a crime

So, basically, you are entering an emergency works zone (ETTRO - emergency temporary traffic restriction order) and there will be a high chance of workforce, plant, ploughs, gritters workinging in that area, who havent allowed for non approved vehicles as compared to vehicles marked to Chapter Eight, with airwaves, etc)... The A30 uses 18 and 22 tonne gritters, travelling at speed, with big bits of steel on the front, to mount ploughs to. They make a mess.

I know most folk on here are pretty sensible, but we still have to padlock the snow gates on the A303, and folk still bolt crop them off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Just a word to the wise (and becuase this is one of 'my' roads). If you drive through a 'Road Closed' sign, where the road is closed due to adverse weather conditions, such as snow or floods, your insurance is invalid. The same goes where a road is closed, with no access for anyone (Hard Closure). If the road is closed but allows for access (Soft Closure) and you have reason for access, then your insurance is valid. And under the ROad Traffic Act 1980, you have comitted a crime

So, basically, you are entering an emergency works zone (ETTRO - emergency temporary traffic restriction order) and there will be a high chance of workforce, plant, ploughs, gritters workinging in that area, who havent allowed for non approved vehicles as compared to vehicles marked to Chapter Eight, with airwaves, etc)... The A30 uses 18 and 22 tonne gritters, travelling at speed, with big bits of steel on the front, to mount ploughs to. They make a mess.

I know most folk on here are pretty sensible, but we still have to padlock the snow gates on the A303, and folk still bolt crop them off.

This is great advice, but this has absolutely no content related to the topic of LED headlights... 😁 😉 please lets not go down any road traffic acts rabbit holes 👍

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

I had this with my Trucklite LEDs. In the beast from the east I had to stop every 20 mins or so when driving in the red zone heavy snow to wipe the lights. It wasnt too bad tbh and hardly common. Some now have elements in tbe lens to heat to avoid this. 

My Trucklites are not bad. Good light output. Cheaper end of the legal lights available. My only real criticisms are light colour - in some lights (dusk mainly), the light colour makes me think they aren't on but I can see fine. Its a weird thing to explain. The other criticism is there is a 8ft (ish) darker patch in front of the vehicle - its annoying initially as the lights shine beyond it but you dont look there when driving so its irrelevant! I think its the reflector setup and the height of mounting of the units. 

You don't sound awfully inspired by your Truck-lites?

36 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I made a purchase, its a set of the Lynx type - although not the Britpart ones - I found an alternative supplier on ebay, that look like they're identical bar the "Britpart" marking at the 6 o clock position on the lens - £150 inc postage. - LYNX LED DRL Headlights x2 for Land Rover Defender 7 Inch DOT E9 MARKED 7802C | eBay

I find this highly ironic that I could be buying a knock off of a Britpart component.

I'm lucky enough to have my 4 roof rack auxiliary Halogens as a back-up - in the snow, even they build up snow but the heat just about keeps them clear.

Please feedback on how you get on as would like to fit some to the 110 but not at £450 given the limited night time use it gets

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Maverik said:

I’m afraid it looks like the “E marking” on those is almost certainly fake and therefore not road legal.

This is what a proper E mark looks like, at the top of this JW Speaker unit:

6D17D0AE-D462-481C-A26E-48BF6A8CE239.jpeg.6fa5c3814e66f137c8365d8e5f99fb3d.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

I’m afraid it looks like the “E marking” on those is almost certainly fake and therefore not road legal.

This is what a proper E mark looks like, at the top of this JW Speaker unit:

6D17D0AE-D462-481C-A26E-48BF6A8CE239.jpeg.6fa5c3814e66f137c8365d8e5f99fb3d.jpeg

Whats the tell tale though? I seem to recall (without looking) that the e mark on my trucklites is an embossed looking thing and i kmow they are legit.