MOG LR hybrid axle build

20 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Another moment in this thread where Stephen makes it look easy... "Oh yeah just knocking up my own half shafts in my garage, no big deal" :lol:

Indeed, making us shed dwellers look small with such little effort😂

@Stellaghost how long did that test piece take to cut?

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

About 30 minutes, took longer to set up with a dti 

Regards A smug shed dweller....lol

There will be something, one day, that I’ll be able to help you with😂

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

How hard are the jaws on the 3-jaw? 

Don't know....why ?

Not cutting them, no way......

19 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Well you could lose a couple of inches if you didn't double stack those chucks :ph34r:

I've said this before....every forum has a comedian.....lol

Regards Stephen 

Just now, landroversforever said:

I was thinking if you were struggling for length another set of jaws could be acquired and machined to reduce the length. If you can't easily get the 4 jaw on by itself.

I see 

Not overly worried, I've already been thinking of making an extended bed to fasten to mill bed and then attatch dividing head and tail stock

Regards Stephen 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

I see 

Not overly worried, I've already been thinking of making an extended bed to fasten to mill bed and then attatch dividing head and tail stock

Regards Stephen 

I've got a bridgeport bed not currently attached here. Just whip up some extended dovetails and you can borrow it :hysterical:

Alternatively come down for a visit and I'll take you up the road where the smallest mill has a 6ft bed on it. The lathe chucks are measured in feet.

38 minutes ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Will the splines need heat treating/hardening?

This is just a practice attempt so no heat treat on this, just scrap now

Heat treating on the Mog Half shaft remains to be seen, if they are anything like the diff pinion I did in my mog 404 axles thread then they may not need heat treating, however, ultimately that will be up to @dangerous doug I'm just trying to help out with the machining

Regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

Oh dear !!!!!!

20240406_142108.thumb.jpg.86019cf33a50e0ca6f387fa67236a6fb.jpg

That's not going to fit....

Oh well looks like mill is going to be a lathe again, the good news is once the existing splines are removed +1mm it will slide through so I can turn it down to spline major diameter

Set mog shaft up in 4 jaw very roughly just to see if spline cutter cuts into halfshaft material ok

It does

20240406_145746.thumb.jpg.52293643bb6b873633a7b20089a6d79c.jpg

pleasantly surprised how easy it cut, thinking back to when I modified my mog diff pinion, the halfshaft material seems a lot easier to machine, which is good because I had to use a tungsten tipped tool for the pinion and it still took nearly an hour per spline

thats all I had time for today

regards Stephen 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

What size is your spindle bore? I think the shafts will fit through mine so I’ll turn them down before they go up to you. If not I’ll put them on centres and use drive dogs

My spindle bore is 34mm, mog halfshaft minor diameter is 35mm

On nights so have brought halfshaft in to see if it will go in the lathe chuck at work

If you do machine the splines off finished diameter needs to be 31.4mm

Regards Stephen