Buying a bulkhead ? Beware as they are not all the same...

Recently, I was involved in comparison between 3 different makes of LR Defender Bulkheads.

They all have the same name, they look a lot alike but they are def. not.

image.png.042e5eeab64883f00a857c8a8639378a.png

Now, for some obvious legal reasons, I can't name names here, but it has become very clear that if you put 3 LHD Defender 300 Tdi Galvanized Bulkheads next to each other you can find quite a few differences.

image.png.43e91903f861a7308fece6ab80988b26.png

Some finds are important, some a minor detail. As they are a structural part of your Defender

(or Series for that matter) I strongly advise you to have a good look at hem and measure.

A bit more detail would be helpful, no names needed just BH#1, BH#2 and BH#3. 

I've posted on here before asking for real feedback on pattern BH quality but never really had any detailed responses. It's such a critical body part in the build up sequence so any factual info will be useful to anyone considering one.

Steve

I'm not sure there's any legal basis for withholding manufacturer names from your post, perhaps a word from an admin to say so would help?

But if you are speaking truth and stating only your opinion, I'm not sure you can get anyone in trouble... I mean many people slate Britpart products on here but I haven't heard of anyone getting sued or worse.

• Like 2

I'm soon to be in the market for a galv bulkhead so would apricate a bit more of an in-depth review of these three manufacturers offerings whoever they are. One of the youtubers have recently fitted a shielder bulkhead to a customers vehicle and said some of the holes were in the wrong place etc, that's all I've got to go off so far!

• Like 1

I don't think naming suppliers and factually pointing out differences in measurements would be any sort of problem.

This would be an incredibly useful thread for a lot of folks especially given how much these things cost.

As I said, we could easily write pages after pages on the differences and these days one has to be very careful.

Also, it is a LOT of work as these things are about 31 kgs. and have some sharp edges etc..

Also, we have to try and fit them on various chassis from different makes to eliminate the tolerances in the chassis..

image.png.7e758b61b25bfbfc4d6e5823ccf1c875.png

Dimensions - the most important one is for the "feet" to be in the right place - but with LR tolerances, that is not easy - and the quality of the galvanization..

image.thumb.png.514ec4f96553009fb4a619093ae9e53a.png

Obviously, the finishing is a thing as different manufacturers do things all a  bit different.

image.png.260226946ab95e6a4f412b4c3b09015f.png

Some clear out treads better than others.

So, please be patient - we're working on it but we also have real world issues to deal with.

Like running a company..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arjan said:

As I said, we could easily write pages after pages on the differences and these days one has to be very careful.

Also, it is a LOT of work as these things are about 31 kgs. and have some sharp edges etc..

Also, we have to try and fit them on various chassis from different makes to eliminate the tolerances in the chassis..

image.png.7e758b61b25bfbfc4d6e5823ccf1c875.png

Dimensions - the most important one is for the "feet" to be in the right place - but with LR tolerances, that is not easy - and the quality of the galvanization..

image.thumb.png.514ec4f96553009fb4a619093ae9e53a.png

Obviously, the finishing is a thing as different manufacturers do things all a  bit different.

image.png.260226946ab95e6a4f412b4c3b09015f.png

Some clear out treads better than others.

So, please be patient - we're working on it but we also have real world issues to deal with.

Like running a company..

Ontspan Arjan😊  Relax..    It's allready good that you are doing this..     Did it surprice you?    Good to see you got time to start a build / rebuild.  

That poor 90 chassis & bulkhead have been sitting like that for 9 months now........

We're just too busy.

And now we have found this bulkhead compare show.

Not to mention somebody suggested to fit an hydraulic winch to the 90.... (head banging against a chassis icon here)

We are actually a bit surprised at the variations in the various bulkheads..

So we need try to make clear what the differences are - not "better" or "worse"

2 hours ago, Arjan said:

That poor 90 chassis & bulkhead have been sitting like that for 9 months now........

We're just too busy.

And now we have found this bulkhead compare show.

Not to mention somebody suggested to fit an hydraulic winch to the 90.... (head banging against a chassis icon here)

We are actually a bit surprised at the variations in the various bulkheads..

So we need try to make clear what the differences are - not "better" or "worse"

Well... you can call if you want it all done👨‍🔧  A bit of a drive, but we can figure it out😁 Do i need to bring tools?  🤓