Harry is testing one …

He doesn’t say much in this video on it (it’s mainly a crop update), but he’s got the car on test and will post a video in a week or two.

With him having had the new Defender it’ll be interesting to see what he says.

• Like 1

How can they get one to Harry on extended loan but they delayed getting Jeremy the one he had actually coughed up the cash for for weeks and weeks?! Doesnt seem quite right. 

Be interesting to see what he says about it all the same. 

There has been a slow roll out of demonstrators, with customer cars being prioritised over the dealer demos. The vehicles that were on the Scottish to Belgravia expedition have been used for all kinds of other publicity stuff, so Harry's may be one of those. 

14 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I get that. I just thought demonstrators should be down the prioroty list when folk like Jeremy have actually paid. 

Yeah of course, sorry, didn't mean to come across short/snappy, just didn't think a week was really long term given who he is in the motoring world. :)

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Yeah of course, sorry, didn't mean to come across short/snappy, just didn't think a week was really long term given who he is in the motoring world. :)

No worries. 😀

• Thanks 1

I see Harry's was one of the Scottish launch vehicles. I'm surprised they did not tidy it more - the screws missiing from the rear trim would never happen with JLR, they practically rebuilt vehicles after the press had done thier worst. There was an article in the LR press where the PR man explained the resources they had back stage to deal with the bent and broken subjects after each day!

I enjoyed his video, I can see why he came to his conclusions, but I'm delighted to say I disagree with him on his final conclusion; I did not and will not buy a new Defender, I struggle to believe they will still be working in 20 years time. A brand new Defender is a wonderous, albeit expensive object, but I do not see it surviving a mechanically-disinterested first PCP leaser, a fashion-concious second owner, a broke third owner, the JLR dealer network and the patchwork independent garage sector to become as supported as the P38 or the Hippo. I don't mind being wrong, as the waste in resources is massive, but JLR have not co-operated with the independent sector for years now and dump new/old stock as fast as they can to appease the accountants.

I took my Grenadier to Newcastle upon Tyne today, so 182 miles each way and 6 hours driving; roughly half the journey took 40.77l or 8.97 gallons and 192 miles, so 21.40mpg, mostly at 70mph, (open road), or 50mph, (road works), so not brilliant, but not terrible either. My head isn't rattling and I could do it again in rapid succession, if I had to. Not something I'd contemplate in the LR1110.

I really want to like the vehicle, and I do like it from what I’ve seen so far. The main appeal to be honest is the claimed user serviceability and longevity, which is what I like most about my old land rovers. I can and do maintain the new 110 myself but there’s no avoiding the fact that it will become prohibitively expensive to do so in time. If the grenadier can truly offer this in a modern vehicle package then it could be a good option, and be very suited to long distance travel and touring.

However 21.4mpg is just not acceptable in a modern diesel - it would cost me an extra £2,500 a year in fuel alone compared to the 110. I really hope that improves for you over time. 

Interesting comments about MPG and weight, unless harry is wrong is GVW 3100kg? that's surely overweight with 5 proper sized passengers?

Having just completed a 350 mile trip with my TDV8 RR on grabber AT with a 1100kg triple axle ifor behind for all of those and a 110 on it for 180 of them all at 60-70 loaded and 70-90 unloaded it returned around the 19mpg mark I certainly hope it improves!

• Like 1

The diff-locks are a RTFM problem, ("Read the Flippin' Manual"), and I think he is sitting too low - sitting up and slightly forward would reduce the visibility issue and the left foot whinging. At the end of the day, it is not a sports car!

To be fair to Harry, he did not like the old Defender, so the Grenadier was unlikely to endear itself. The comment about a test in a "basic" one is fair, he should try mine; £10k less but most of the good points and a smaller bill.